Pharmacy company Found Guilty for 527 million dollars - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Language: English

Pharmacy company Found Guilty for 527 million dollars

Did you hear in the news today Pharmacy company Johnson and Johnson got hit with a guilty verdict and for its role in Opioid crisis?

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...bii-story.html

Makes me think about their role in manufacturing mental heath drugs like SSRI's or benzos. Big Pharma is not always your friend and looking out for your best interests I guess. They exist to make a profit. I know they prescribe a lot of life saving drugs as well so its a complicated issue. Anyway thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 10:20 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinmd View Post
Did you hear in the news today Pharmacy company Johnson and Johnson got hit with a guilty verdict and for its role in Opioid crisis?

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...bii-story.html

Makes me think about their role in manufacturing mental heath drugs like SSRI's or benzos. Big Pharma is not always your friend and looking out for your best interests I guess. They exist to make a profit. I know they prescribe a lot of life saving drugs as well so its a complicated issue. Anyway thoughts?
I strongly believe that the pharmaceutical industry for mental health is terrible.
SSRI are undoubtedly effective for depression, social anxiety and OCD. But they only work for 50 60% of people, and they must be taken chronically, they take time to work and have many limitations.
I think big pharma thinks like this " we will give you something somewhat effective but you must struggle a lot until you find it and you must pay constantly for it for long term effectiveness."
I think that the fact that you have to wait 4 to 6 weeks for initial improvements on an SSRI is ridiculous, and 12 weeks until full benefits, this is too long for suffering causing disorders like depression and SAD.
MAOI and TCA are no better.
SSRI are good for people, but only in 1980/1990 not 2020, we need something faster acting and stronger
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 10:23 AM
SAS Member

Thank god aloradine is around the corner for social anxiety, finally something fast acting and it works for 80% of people based on clinical trials. This is huge!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 10:28 AM
SAS Member

And if you ask me, the situation for SAD is still better than the one for ptsd, this terrible disorder only has 2 approved drugs, paxil and sertraline, with sertraline being deemed as not effective enough but the FDA had no choice but to approved it because at the time no other drug was approved.
And most of the time the response to drugs for ptsd is unsatisfactory.
By the ncbi site:
The only FDA-approved drugs for the treatment of PTSD are the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) sertraline (Zoloft, Pfizer) and paroxetine HCl (Paxil, GlaxoSmithKline).2–4 All other agents are used off-label, including paroxetine mesylate (Pexeva, Noven), which is chemically similar to paroxetine but is not FDA-approved for PTSD.5 SSRIs affect the neurotransmitter serotonin primarily, which is important in regulating mood, anxiety, appetite, sleep, and other bodily functions.2

Although SSRIs are associated with an overall response rate of approximately 60% in patients with PTSD, only 20% to 30% of patients achieve complete remission.6 In two clinical studies of PTSD, sertraline was significantly more effective than placebo, according to several efficacy measures, including the Clinician-Administered PTSD Scale, Part 2 (CAPS-2). In two additional studies, however, the difference in response to treatment between patients receiving sertraline and patients receiving placebo was not statistically significant.3

Moreover, few published trials have demonstrated the superiority of paroxetine over placebo in managing the three symptom clusters of PTSD.7,8 A comparison of paroxetine with placebo in patients with PTSD demonstrated that sertraline was significantly superior to placebo for the change from baseline in the CAPS-2 total score but not for the proportion of responders on the Clinical Global Impression–Improvement (CGI–I) scale.4

The SSRI fluoxetine (Prozac, Eli Lilly) was evaluated in a placebo-controlled study of combat veterans with severe, chronic PTSD.9 Veterans treated with fluoxetine failed to show a greater clinical response compared with placebo-treated veterans, even though fluoxetine was effective in patients with less severe PTSD in previous studies. Fluoxetine has been on the market since 1987 and is indicated for the treatment of major depressive disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, bulimia nervosa, and panic disorder.10
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 07:01 AM
SAS Member

The problem was not the companies that made the opioids, it was the companies selling the opioids to doctors using misleading information about their addiction potential. Purdue was the leader of the pack, not Johnson and Johnson. Oklahoma settled with Purdue for half as much as they got from J&J. I wonder if the prosecutors who agreed to settle with Purdue were friendly with big business (or maybe in their pockets)? Oklahoma is a very conservative state.

The ongoing class action suit against Purdue (in Ohio) may punish them much more severely than Oklahoma did.

Many conservatives believe the US has the best medical care because Big Pharma spends SO MUCH MONEY developing drugs, and that justifies the fact that medical care costs twice as much in the US than in the other developed countries. Are the new drugs really that great, or are we being fooled?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 10:02 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveOReno View Post
The problem was not the companies that made the opioids, it was the companies selling the opioids to doctors using misleading information about their addiction potential. Purdue was the leader of the pack, not Johnson and Johnson. Oklahoma settled with Purdue for half as much as they got from J&J. I wonder if the prosecutors who agreed to settle with Purdue were friendly with big business (or maybe in their pockets)? Oklahoma is a very conservative state.

The ongoing class action suit against Purdue (in Ohio) may punish them much more severely than Oklahoma did.

Many conservatives believe the US has the best medical care because Big Pharma spends SO MUCH MONEY developing drugs, and that justifies the fact that medical care costs twice as much in the US than in the other developed countries. Are the new drugs really that great, or are we being fooled?
I believe we are being fooled
If you take the mental health field, brintellix and viibryd are the newest, they are only and barely effective for depression.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 10:14 AM
-

There needs to be some regulations on how prescriptions are given. People can literally lie to their doctor about losing their pills all the while they (the patient) would take more than prescribed and potentially overdose.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page