Paroxetine/Paxil dreams: only atypical, or maybe lucid (LD)? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Paroxetine/Paxil dreams: only atypical, or maybe lucid (LD)?

Hi,

I'd like to find out what (if any) kind of atypical dreams do you have under the paroxetine influence. It's been written on the leaflets, that there may appear such ones.

What were they like? And how often did they appear at you? Every night, or only on the beginning/withdrawing?
I don't want to have any bad dreams. It'd be not very good...

Is it true, that the Lucid Dreams can appear when you take the SSRI drugs? Is it actually so pleasant, as some people describe?

It's a pretty curious question, I think.

Cheers to you!

P.S. Here's a poll related to this topic:

http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/for ... reams.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 10:36 AM
SAS Member

re: Paroxetine dreams - only atypical, or maybe lucid (LD)?

I dont remember having weird dreams but the Paroxetine YAWNS really took me by surprise. WEEIIRRRD

Ross

On to concentrate on bright things Stuck around in hopes to help, didnt seem like there was much left I could do anymore ... good luck and comfort to those who are on their own path and hope for those yet to take their first step! Much Love
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Re: re: Paroxetine dreams - only atypical, or maybe lucid (L

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeah_yeah_yeah
I dont remember having weird dreams but the Paroxetine YAWNS really took me by surprise. WEEIIRRRD

Ross
Yawns? It's curious...

Aha, one more thing - I'm wondering about the 20 mg dose.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Oh, even one more thing - do some strange dreams, which I have without any drugs (sometimes I have them, they're pretty weird), make the probability of SSRI-dreams appearing bigger?

If I've some strange dreams even now, without any drug, what can happen when I get some SSRI?...
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 10:53 AM

Lucid dreams are extremely common when taking SSRIs. I remember I would always have extremely vivid dreams when I was on the SSRI merry-go-around. However, no dreams can compare to the ones the an antipsychotic can incite.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speak Easy
Lucid dreams are extremely common when taking SSRIs. I remember I would always have extremely vivid dreams when I was on the SSRI merry-go-around. However, no dreams can compare to the ones the an antipsychotic can incite.
Merry-go-around? Sorry, but I don't get this... English isn't my native language.

Antipsychotic? Well, I don't need to take some yet, at least I think so.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 01:48 PM
She-Wolf

Quote:
you get odd dreams on antipsychotics? which one(s)? i'm on seroquel and lamictal.

maybe that would explain why i get these scary dreams that cause me to suddenly wake in the middle of the night feeling terrified for no reason (and not being able to remember most of the dreams).
oh yeah, and a while ago when i was experiencing that i taugt myself to recognize that i was dreaming and i would be able to wake myself up during the dream. can't do that anymore, though.

i got a lot of weird dreams on Prozac, and i was lucid dreaming often too (but that probably was because of the insomnia). also i was getting a really bad reaction to the prozac because i am bipolar and not supposed to be on any SSRIs.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothing_to_fear
you get odd dreams on antipsychotics? which one(s)? i'm on seroquel and lamictal.
I was on Zoloft, Risperdal, and Lamictal at the time
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NihilBoni
Merry-go-around? Sorry, but I don't get this... English isn't my native language.

Antipsychotic? Well, I don't need to take some yet, at least I think so.
That's alright. Your English is actually very fluent. Getting on the "SSRI Merry-go-around" is a way of speaking about trying 1 SSRI and then trying another, and another, and another (hence the reoccurrance of a merry-go-around). And antipsychotics are good for psychosis/schizophrenia (and sometimes Bipolar), but I would never recommend them for secondary use in terms of depression and/or anxiety
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 09:46 PM
Spectacular Member

i get lucid dreams from the drugs im on. Id rather prefer not to have them as my mind never really gets to rest.

"It's better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one than to have an opportunity and not be prepared." -- Whitney Young Jr.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 05:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
That's alright. Your English is actually very fluent. Getting on the "SSRI Merry-go-around" is a way of speaking about trying 1 SSRI and then trying another (...)
Thanks

I see know.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 07:47 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noca
i get lucid dreams from the drugs im on. Id rather prefer not to have them as my mind never really gets to rest.
I have read similar things about lucid dreams. Once you realize you're dreaming, your brain stops recuperative sleep and basically starts using its imagination/thoughts under the blanket of unconsciousness. That's just what I've read, though.

I don't think I have experienced any lucid dreams while on Paxil, but I have experienced a bunch of just plain weird dreams while on psychiatric meds in general.

Rx:
Wellbutrin SR 300mg, Eskalith CR 900mg, Luvox 100mg

Things I have tried:
Lexapro, Zoloft, Celexa, Prozac, Paxil, Effexor XR, Remeron, Wellbutrin SR, Eskalith CR, Topamax, Valium, Xanax, Ativan, Ambien, Restoril, Desyrel, Ritalin, Adderall, Dexedrine, Inderal, Lopressor, Thorazine, Lamictal, Abilify, Depakote, Geodon, Seroquel, doxepin, chloral hydrate
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 11:54 AM
Permanently Banned

I've never had any such dreams on Paxil nor any other SSRI. I've never had such dreams period.
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 07:33 PM
Spectacular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraShy
I've never had any such dreams on Paxil nor any other SSRI. I've never had such dreams period.
lucky

"It's better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one than to have an opportunity and not be prepared." -- Whitney Young Jr.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Quote:
lucky
I think I'm the only one who actually found some of my dreams amusing
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 10:13 PM
She-Wolf

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
lucky
I think I'm the only one who actually found some of my dreams amusing
i love having very vivid or even lucid dreams. though mine are usually kind of terrifying and sometimes sad but i still find them very interesting and i prefer it to just remembering or being aware of small bits of my dreams.
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 10:42 PM
иии---иии

I did start remembering a lot of my dreams when taking paxil and zoloft. They were never bad dreams or scary...just memorable and I enjoyed them as some of the others here have.

If, however, by lucid..you mean dreams where you are conscious of being in the dream and can control the events, then no, paxil did not do that for me. I have had actual lucid dreams in the past though not influenced by any SSRI. About 20 years ago there used to be a magazine called OMNI. They had a lengthy article about lucid dreams and had some exercises that would facilitate having them. I was very intrigued by it and started practicing....and it worked. Those were the only lucid dreams I ever had.

Lucid dreaming is also actually known to be a cure for nightmares.
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldmorning
If, however, by lucid..you mean dreams where you are conscious of being in the dream and can control the events, then no, paxil did not do that for me.
If an SSRI could induce an out of body experience and/or astral projection, I think the FDA would have a goddamn field day, as would Pfizer, GSK, Lilly, and any other large SSRI producing pharmaceutical company. "Oh that's alright", says FDA commissioner von Eschenbach, "we'll simply add a little note on the SSRI safety leaflets saying: this medication may aggravate and/or induce clairvoyance".
**FDA/DEA administrative members erupt into standing ovation at the genius ideas of a genius, himself!**
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 05:49 PM

I don't remember when was the last time I had a dream.
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 04:42 AM Thread Starter

Oh, it's a real pity...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page