Neurontin/ gabapentin - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
You can do this!

My Mood: Cheerful

Neurontin/ gabapentin

6 days in and I'm finally on 900 mg. It is slightly sedating, kind of calming too. I don't mind it. A bit like that disinhibited feeling I get on Ambien. Time will tell if it is any good at treating my... psych things.

Medication-related posts are for brainstorming purposes only. Talk to your doctor.

My meds: Parnate, Lamictal, Wellbutrin, trazodone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 08:21 AM

Hey Caedmon....I haven't been around as much and I missed that you were starting Neurontin. This is on top of Parnate, right? I just started it myself on Saturday - 300 mg. a day. So far I also find it a bit sedating.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 05:53 PM
up an down, here we go!!

hope that it works for you. i was taking it on a 'as needed' basis when i got a migraine. since it was supposedly so sedating, i was to take anywhere from 300mg-900mg with my pain med so that i would be knocked out and therefore putting something in my brain to sleep and stopping the migraine by the time i awoke. unfortunately, it never sedated me. i tried 1500mg at one time and i never got drowsy.

my neuro was a bit shocked - i think that i confuse him...lol

Dx: BiPolar, Intractable Migraines, Social & General Anxiety, Idiopathic Seizures 7/07

Current Rx: Seroquel, Lamictal, Zanaflex

Rx: I have been on just about everything once. Anti-Depressants, Anti-Convulsants, Anti-Psychotics, Benzos, etc.

last.fm
facebook
myspace
tumblr
formspring.me

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
You can do this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBNC
Hey Caedmon....I haven't been around as much and I missed that you were starting Neurontin. This is on top of Parnate, right? I just started it myself on Saturday - 300 mg. a day. So far I also find it a bit sedating.
Yes, in addition to Parnate. Parnate does funny things to other drugs, for me anyway. Some it potentiates very strongly (like Valium or Ambien); some it seems to negate (like caffeine or Benadryl); some it just plain interacts with (like... a bunch). So, I don't even know if a good or bad response to Neurontin would give me much of a clue as to whether it works for me when I'm off Parnate (!). Of course this is not why I'm taking it - I'm taking it so it can help now, under the assumption that I can continue most of my prior drugs.

From the sample size of maybe 5-6 Parnate users who have tried Neurontin with it (that I know), 4-5 said it was a very good augmentative agent. This was for anxiety in the cases I know of, or as an add-on mood stabilizer. For what reason, I'm not sure. Maybe there is some synergism via glutamate inhibition. So, even though I'm not aware of any studies on this particular combination, informally it sounds to be a good thing to try for me.

Medication-related posts are for brainstorming purposes only. Talk to your doctor.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
You can do this!

So far...

It definitely helps take the edge off anxiety and depression, and it's been good at keeping my sleep-wake cycles more regular. It makes me a bit uncoordinated though. I walked into a lamp yesterday morning. <thud> I don't think the 900 is quite enough, I will probably try 1200.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 06:57 AM

Quote:
It makes me a bit uncoordinated though. I walked into a lamp yesterday morning. <thud>
Yes, that will happen. I was on Neurontin a few years back and it seemed to help a bit with my SA but I eventually got tired of being so spacey and uncoordinated all the time.

Best of luck, I hope it's more useful for you!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 10:59 AM

I dropped and broke my (expensive) hairdryer this morning! I've had it for two years and have never dropped it. Neurontin owes me a new hairdryer!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 04:53 AM

i <3 neurontin

hey everyone, i'm new here...

i'm a big advocate of neurontin. i take it daily 400 mg three times a day, 600 milligrams at nite.

it doesn't interfere with my other medication, it has no side effects that i can notice, it doesn't make me tired. i've been on it, at some dosage or another, for most of the past couple years.

now i'm not taking it specifically for social anxiety--i'm taking it for more just general anxiety and panic attack relief.

but it works great!

<3,
girl2
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellicose
Quote:
It makes me a bit uncoordinated though. I walked into a lamp yesterday morning. <thud>
Yes, that will happen. I was on Neurontin a few years back and it seemed to help a bit with my SA but I eventually got tired of being so spacey and uncoordinated all the time.

Best of luck, I hope it's more useful for you!
ha ha, i am uncoordinated because of neurontin. i regularly come home with bruises and dings from running on the treadmill. i feel like i'm so med-ed up, sometimes, that just balancing while running on the treadmill is hard... it does make you very spacey. and very uncoordinated, hence my bruises! ;]

<3,
girl2
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 05:11 AM

Neurontin did nothing for me after the first few days, I was on 1200 mgs.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 05:25 PM

Neurontin helps my Chronic pain and my Social Anxiety but my psychiatrist started me on Cymbalta about a month ago and now I'm one Spaced Out Chic! Not sure if it's the Cymbalta doing it or maybe the combination of the two. I'm having really, really bad motivation issues.... Anyone else on both Cymbalta and Neurontin?
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
You can do this!

Well, if it happened along with the cymbalta then I would suspect that. Although Neurontin is known to cause spaciness.

I think I'm a little spacier on it but it's strangely motivating. I wonder if there is a glutamate component to my depression. Anyway I'm acting like a pretty cheerful chap on it and I'd say it's pro-social for me. (Went driving, singing in the car to good tunes to pick up my dad. Had an animated conversation the whole way back. That's a change for me.)

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 11:38 PM
SAS Member

Just started this. 300 mg 3 x a day.

Only effect I get is being tired and grumpy.

It makes me feel like how one feels if they havn't gotten enough sleep.

heh.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 12:10 AM
User Requested Permanent Ban

My Mood: Sad
I just got bumped up to 1800 mg/day.

It works for me. I mean, it's very calming, it feels somewhat like a sedative I guess, in a way, but that is what I need. I guess.

I have tried a lot, and I mean a lot of different SSRIs, SNRIs, antidepressants, benzos, nothing works for me long term. So far this seems to be working. I have my fingers crossed. I'm really hoping.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
You can do this!

Wow, old thread! I wound up abandoning gabapentin as it stopped being helpful.

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 03:25 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caedmon View Post
Wow, old thread! I wound up abandoning gabapentin as it stopped being helpful.
lol 9 years old
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 02:33 AM
SAS Member

Gabapentin makes me have a more restful sleep. But only if this took a couple of times a week.

For the rest, I prefer not to take it during the day, because of the sedative effects.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 12:34 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneleopard View Post
This drug was a huge disappointment. I had wondered if such a drug existed, only to find that it did, only to find that it didn't work for me

This is what I most remember about it. An increase in irritability from feeling like sh*t.
Yep. I quit that **** fast. Plus it's hard to get off of I hear. Don't need anymore meds that are a ***** to get off of.

I'm already trying to taper off Lamictal (due to memory loss)
And trying to get down to 45 mg of Nardil (due to side effects)
PLUS trying to get off Cigarettes.

I'm at 60 mg Nardil for a week and 175 Lamictal for a week. I feel depression occasionally. Feelings like I could cry at the drop of a hat. It might be the combo of all meds being reduced, or just the nicotine itself. I noticed I got super pissy and cried when I was yelled at. Then I took a nicotine lozenge and i felt better...
I didn't know nicotine had such a huge effect on depression and mood when it's taken away from your system.

Trying to get Nuvigil prescribed to augment with nardil. Perhaps it'll counter the short term memory issues with Lamictal.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page