Nasal Spray - D-Cycloserine (DCS) - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Nasal Spray - D-Cycloserine (DCS)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... ray121.xml

I wonder how common this will be in the next few years at curing SA symptoms? It sounds like something I would like to try.

"Sure there are plenty of other fish in the sea; but you're not anywhere near the sea. You're in the desert. Alone."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 12:45 PM
Spectacular Member

Re: Nasal Spray - D-Cycloserine (DCS)

I dont like nasal sprays even tho I use one on occasion.

"It's better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one than to have an opportunity and not be prepared." -- Whitney Young Jr.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 03:15 PM
X33

It is just an antibiotic to tuberculosis. There is already a prescription medication currently being used that has the exact same active compound. Morever, research has been done on the use of this pill in overcoming phobias by the prestigious Emory school of medicine. The researchers say that it works tremendously well.
I have posted the article in the natural supplements forum under heading of "another nasal spray to help you overcome your fear" have a look.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 04:24 PM

I wonder if just supplementing with L-Serine and L-Glutamic Acid might not also be worth looking into as they are involved in activating NMDA receptors, and D-Cycloserine, supposedly(this is from Wikipedia) has its anti-anxiety effects due to it being a partial NMDA receptor agonist.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 03:34 PM
X33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broshious
I wonder if just supplementing with L-Serine and L-Glutamic Acid might not also be worth looking into as they are involved in activating NMDA receptors, and D-Cycloserine, supposedly(this is from Wikipedia) has its anti-anxiety effects due to it being a partial NMDA receptor agonist.
big question. Can the L-Serine and L-Glutamic acid cross the blood brain barrier?

Based upon my knowledge, I would say no.
L-Serine has a polar hydroxyl group and L-Glutamic acid has a negatively charged COO- group (yay for being a nerd). So there's no way in hell either can get through the hydrophobic membranes that makes up the blood brain barrier.

Now, if there is some compound, which has a L-Serine/L-Glutamic acid residue attached to a hydrophobic component (say a phenyl ring), it may be able to get into the brain.

Another avenue would be to find the hydrophobic precursors (if any exist) for the amino acids you mentioned. you know of any?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ag
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broshious
big question. Can the L-Serine and L-Glutamic acid cross the blood brain barrier?

Based upon my knowledge, I would say no.
L-Serine has a polar hydroxyl group and L-Glutamic acid has a negatively charged COO- group (yay for being a nerd). So there's no way in hell either can get through the hydrophobic membranes that makes up the blood brain barrier.

Now, if there is some compound, which has a L-Serine/L-Glutamic acid residue attached to a hydrophobic component (say a phenyl ring), it may be able to get into the brain.

Another avenue would be to find the hydrophobic precursors (if any exist) for the amino acids you mentioned. you know of any?
L-Glutamine is a precursor to L-Glutamic Acid and from what I've read crosses the BBB. I've read in a couple places that Threonine, which also crosses the BBB, can be synthesized to Serine, but I'm not sure if it's true.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2007, 09:05 PM
X33

-
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 08:04 PM

My 19 yr. old son has SAD/social skill deficits....Does anyone know the details of the study, like how many milligrams of D-Cycloserine/ oz of nasal spray? I ask because I was able to order this med in 'capsule' form via Internet. It was from a pharmacy in India; I took it to my son's Dr. and he said it looked legit.
The problem is finding someone locally (we live in the FL panhandle) who will do 'exposure therapy' for my son. Apparantly, this med works to relieve specific phobias and only when the exposure is gradual and with positive, controlled results.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page