Nardil shortage in Australia - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Bored
I was wondering if any Nardil users in Australia had heard about this.

They're apparently planning on importing some from Canada to supply during the expected shortage.

I guess I'm a little concerned because the different brands of Nardil sometimes affect people differently. The inactive ingredients seem to affect the way the drug is absorbed.

I noticed that, unlike the Australian Link Pharma brand, the Canadian version doesn't need to be refrigerated, so the ingredients must vary to some degree.

See the attachments for more details about the predicted shortage. Hopefully they're readable after being resized.

Here are the web links:

https://apps.tga.gov.au/Prod/msi/Sea...elzine sulfate

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...HQGONZ5PJZZWI1
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20190602-095142_Samsung Internet_1559433900322.jpg   20190602_100952_1559434223761.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 01:10 AM
SAS Member

I will never understand these shortages things, they should do something about it before this happens IMO.
Especially because nardil and other AD need to be taken chronically to work.
If you stop one week it is a problem.
I hope you will find a way to find another version meanwhile!!!
Do you think that the canadian version is less effective?
post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Well, I hope not, but I'm just kind of worried anout the whole situation.

I've asked in a few pharmacies, and they're so laid-back about it. It's like, "Our supplier is out of stock, it should be available in a couple of weeks, but might be longer" lol

It's as if they don't know how these meds have to be taken continuously, like you say. I don't want to be in a situation where I have to go cold turkey from 90mg to nothing.

I've got a couple of week's supply left. I'm wondering if I should drop the dose to make it last longer.

post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 10:05 AM
S F C 0 1

Language: English
My Mood: Happy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtd1974 View Post

I've asked in a few pharmacies, and they're so laid-back about it. It's like, "Our supplier is out of stock, it should be available in a couple of weeks, but might be longer" lol

It's as if they don't know how these meds have to be taken continuously, like you say. I don't want to be in a situation where I have to go cold turkey from 90mg to nothing.

I've got a couple of week's supply left. I'm wondering if I should drop the dose to make it last longer.

Just take the odd day off for a bit until the new lot comes in, shouldn't affect your mood mate. Probably get away with two days off and dont worry about the brands etc reckon its a load of crap.

Ive had 4 days off it a couple times due to surgery and felt a bit agitated on the 4th day I guess but nothing major.

I have many talents but giving a **** is not one of them
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 11:46 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'avjo View Post
Quote:

Just take the odd day off for a bit until the new lot comes in, shouldn't affect your mood mate. Probably get away with two days off and dont worry about the brands etc reckon its a load of crap.

Ive had 4 days off it a couple times due to surgery and felt a bit agitated on the 4th day I guess but nothing major.
Hello sir!
I hope you are doing well!
Don't stop cold turkey and don't listen to other people recommendations!
You know your body.
You finally found an effective drug for your condition!
I hope the shortage will soon be fixed
post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 11:47 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Quote:

Thank you doctor for your recommendation, we gladly will listen to you as you studied medicine for 14 years in university
post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 11:51 AM
S F C 0 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeforall View Post
Thank you doctor for your recommendation, we gladly will listen to you as you studied medicine for 14 years in university

Experience my friend! And backed up by the mechanism of action for phenelzine

post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 11:52 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Quote:

Experience my friend! And backed up by the mechanism of action for phenelzine
Still that does not give you the right to act like a doctor lol
post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 12:06 PM
S F C 0 1

Quote:
Still that does not give you the right to act like a doctor lol

He was wondering what he should do.

Offering my 6 years of nardil experience to someone who I have pm'd with many times and who I think is a great forum member?

**** knows what the average lazy doc would have suggested.

post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 02:57 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Just relax mate, there's no need to be so sarcastic.

As D'avjo said, I've known him for a while. I also know he has far more experience with Nardil than I do, so I appreciate his advice.

I've noticed that you have a habit of posting comments like this, when someone says something that doesn't align with your view of the way things should be.

Perhaps your intentions are good, and you're simply looking out for the welfare of people on this forum.

But sarcastic, combative comments like the one you posted above add nothing to the conversation.

They make you seem like some kind of troll, baiting other members for a response.
post #11 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
**** knows what the average lazy doc would have suggested.
Lol ... he said that perhaps I could try tranylcypromine or moclobemide ...

One interesting fact he shared was that med shortages are becoming more common, particularly with the lesser-used ones like Nardil.

He said that there have been cases where certain drugs are simply not being manufactured any more. Sucks for those people taking them.

It also doesn't bode well for us Nardil users. Hopefully I'm just being pessimistic here. But imagine if they stopped making it altogether 😞
post #12 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 04:01 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Quote:
Just relax mate, there's no need to be so sarcastic.

As D'avjo said, I've known him for a while. I also know he has far more experience with Nardil than I do, so I appreciate his advice.

I've noticed that you have a habit of posting comments like this, when someone says something that doesn't align with your view of the way things should be.

Perhaps your intentions are good, and you're simply looking out for the welfare of people on this forum.

But sarcastic, combative comments like the one you posted above add nothing to the conversation.

They make you seem like some kind of troll, baiting other members for a response.
Sorry but he attacked me first on many posts that's why I answered like this
post #13 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 01:22 AM
SAS Member

Any idea when they will get the Canadian version in? My pharmacist has also been telling me Nardil will be available soon - but it has been a month or so. Fortunately the hospital pharmacies still seem to be able to get it in.

I did wonder what I was going to do if I couldn’t find some though.
post #14 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 02:39 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaijai44 View Post
Any idea when they will get the Canadian version in? My pharmacist has also been telling me Nardil will be available soon - but it has been a month or so. Fortunately the hospital pharmacies still seem to be able to get it in.

I am in Europe and my prescription had to be ordered as well, and will take about 2 weeks.. Strange...
post #15 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:

I'm not sure. I gave up waiting on my local pharmacy. I found one in Melbourne that was able to get hold of the Link Pharma Nardil, the same type I'd already been taking.
post #16 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 03:01 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Quote:

I'm not sure. I gave up waiting on my local pharmacy. I found one in Melbourne that was able to get hold of the Link Pharma
the same type I'd already been taking.
I just picked up my nardil, I thought they would give me the same type I was already taking but again I got the one that does not have to be stored in the fridge. Everyone seems to be having less effect with this type of nardil. I want the d nardil I was taking, hope it will be available soon.

I just
post #17 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 04:22 PM
SAS Member

Does anyone have any idea of where I can pickup some Nardil in Melbourne? Every pharmacy says no - today the Alfred hospital pharmacy said October.

I’m actually so ****ing scared, I don’t want to stop cold turkey. Last time that happened I had hallucinations.

Please help me
post #18 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 04:58 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I got some from Superpharmacy in Brunswick. I rang and they ordered it in for me. It arrived in two or three days. They've got a website, check em out. Good luck!

Edit: LMK how you go, because I might find myself in the same position when I need to get my next lot of Nardil ...
post #19 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 03:06 PM
SAS Member

So apparently the Canadian version IS available but the pharmacy has to call Link pharmaceuticals and order from them.

I feel bad for anyone who didn’t read this thread and is unaware of how to get it. If I hadn’t read this I would have had to swap meds.
post #20 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Thanks for the update. Glad you got it OK.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page