Nardil; comprehensive anecdotal experiences and interesting information.
I thought I'd make a thread where I'll gather all the success stories with Nardil. I'll eventually continue to update it when i have the time and motivation. Here's a few comments to start it off.
1. "Nardil has truely been a lifesaver for me. It totally got rid of sa and did a good job relieving depression too. Last summer I was forced to come off it after a bad experience. The sa and depression came back unfortunatly, but I wasnt suprised. After 6 months I convinced my doctor to put me back on nardil."
2. "I would not worry so much about Nardil; it's not something I've ever seen here and Nardil, as you probably know, is very popular here. I still take it, all these years later! And it STILL works!"
4. "I'm on my third trial of Nardil, and one thing I've learned is it's all about time.. Regardless being at 60 or 105, it took me about 6months exactly to feel fully normal again. Gradual climb up."
5. "1st 3 weeks i crept from 15-45mg. At end of week 3 I went to 60mg and bang- like a light came on.
Ur explination of being like a natural XTC feeling is spot on. Avoidance became a constant search for friends without fear. Lots of things happened for the 1st time (I was 24)- 1st GF, sex, job, place of my own. I could leave a job and get another by the end of the week, not by pushing myself but by pure optimism. Family became loved ones again. I owe alot to Nardil for what it introduced me to- more than a glimpse of what life at the full is really like. Happiness probably for the 1st time ever."
6. "I had great success with both Nardil and Parnate, more so with Nardil. Unfortunately, the side effects were too much for me and I had to switch off completely. But as for the depression my experiences were great."
7. "Nardil brought me back and has kept me there. I will say the first six months are difficult because of side effects, and there are many side effects. But they all virtually subsided. Weight gain is an issue. I have gained weight since starting Nardil, but for me it has reached a point of stability. I look healthy and strong. Been in psychotherapy throughout, which is worth mentioning."
8. "I have failed two trials on Parnate. I've been using Nardil for over a decade. I had serious, treatment resistant atypical double depression, and social anxiety. Nardil, augmented with a small dose of clonazepam is the "BOMB" for this diagnosis. Many other meds will fail. After they all fail, Nardil will still often work. In my not so humble opinion, Nardil should be 2nd tier for this diagnosis. Not the last resort! I am prejudiced!"
9. "I pushed the dose right up to 105mg and it's causing the euphoria like it did when i started it....I mean, I am going up to any gal asking for a DATE, feeling SO SO confident, motivated, blissful!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love washing my room now!!!!!!!! Also, it's killing the anxiety BIG time!!!!! Moral of the story: NARDIL RULES!!!!!!!!!"
10. "When Nardil first kicked in for me back in 1998, it was like flipping a switch. One day I was hopeless and miserable, the next day all of the answers were clear. I have never felt anything like it, before or since.
Good Luck and Be Well,"
11. "Given Nardil has worked the best, something has to give. I love my nights, which I guess is typical with Nardil. I was a night owl before. I dont mind the sexual side effects either, as it almost indirectly serves as birth control (how about that for a different point of view!). I can remember going off Nardil last time and I would lose control so fast, it was embarrassing, because I was simply not used to the feeling. Nardil increases my motivation extremely I do things when its in my system, I have goals, etc. Ive also found caffeine to have a similar effect and even sometimes enhance the feeling."
12. "I agree that you should speak to your doctor, but in my case, I also felt terrible on nardil for the first 6 weeks, very suicidal etc.... and then suddenly I began to feel better, and it took maybe one week or two, for the mood to change completely. This happened quite often, because I had the tendency to try to reduce the dose from 45mg which was my prescribed maintenance dose,to 30 mg once I was ok, but found that I then had to up the dose again, and go through that hell every time. Im no longer on nardil now, because it stopped working for me after about 22 years. I found it a tricky drug for all those reasons, but when it worked, it really worked well."
13. "I always had prayed to write a post like this, but I never knew for sure this day would come. For 10 long years, I was absolutely ravaged by GAD (generalized anxiety disorder) and accompanying depression. There were countless days that I didn't know if I would make it through the day. I never had a suicide plan, but there were times I wish I didn't have to go through the pain and suffering.Before NARDIL saved me, this WEBSITE saved me. I am forever indebted to all the people on here who stuck with me to offer support and encouragement, or just simply showed that they cared. It meant the world to me. Thank you."
14. "I've tried more than 35 different combinations of medications. The only combo that has worked on my major atypical depression and social anxiety has been Nardil with clonazepam."
15. "It took nearly 12 full weeks to kick in, after a lot of nasty side effects that went away (light-headed, constipation, etc.) but I got a euphoric high for a few months.
That leads me to believe it was not a hypomania thing. Hypomania would likely have shown up much sooner. 12 weeks is right in line with expected therapeutic action.
I started getting back confidence and everything."
16. "I began some CBT therapy for a few months, but didnt really do the homework and stopped it because I really had no more problems! the Nardz completely had wiped the distortions and everything out.. i was in a whole new world for the first time.. it felt wonderful!"
17. "I took Nardil for 30 years at 60mg every morning. I had been through every other treatment known at that time. It took the Nardil @ 6 weeks to start working. When it did "oh my God" this is how everyone else feels everyday."
18. "I have been on Nardil for most of the past 14 years. There is nothing like it for atypical depression with social anxiety. I have tapered off Nardil about 5 or 6 times in that 14 year period. Each time thinking that maybe I could live without the medication. Within a matter of months, each time, my major depression returned. I'm a lifer but will probably always keep trying."
19. "i have been on 60mg for a month and a half and the side effects are going away and im getting fantastic results, only after a few months would i go to 75 and beyond. to jump to 90 quick(which is a high dose) your gonna get hit with some hard and bad side effects that could turn you away from a miracle drug. drop back down to 60 and stay there till your comfortable. for the constipation get some fibre pills or metamucil and take it a few times a day, get some probiotics, even activia yogourt. and the backing down the dosage and doing it properly should help with hypotension."
20. "MAOIs are the only anti depressants that work for me. I was on phenelzine from 1992- 2012. I would increaase slowly from 15 mg - 60 mg. The higher dose felt very uncomfortable, but I would stay on it for approx. 4 weeks, and then gradually reduce. My maintenance dose was 45 mg. This was done at the Maudsely Hospital in London, which is a very well respected institution, and they are always consulted by other psychiatrists here in London.
21. "The Nardil HAS made a big difference with the social anxiety, although I would really love it to do even more. I am reluctant to give it up and regress to my former more incapacitating level of social anxiety."
22. "Regarding Nardil, I found it extremely effective for my social phobia, but only at doses of 60 mg/day and above. I did not find therapeutic benefit at so-called "maintenance" doses of 30 to 45 mg/day. Further, I am not aware of any research (or any pscyhopharmacologist, for that matter) which suggests a lower dose does not result in decreased efficacy."
23. "I have taken nardil for several years and had good results. The weight gain was a problem though and it increased my blood pressure. After stopping nardil my depression became horrible. I have since started parnate but the side effects(headache, nausea, fatigue and sleep disturbance are a concern). After several weeks I wonder if I should switch back to Nardil?? Has anyone tried both these medications??? What has been your experiences??"
You are afraid to die, and you’re afraid to live. What a way to exist.