Nardil; comprehensive anecdotal experiences and interesting information. - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Lightbulb

Nardil; comprehensive anecdotal experiences and interesting information.

I thought I'd make a thread where I'll gather all the success stories with Nardil. I'll eventually continue to update it when i have the time and motivation. Here's a few comments to start it off.

Nardil: successes;

1. "Nardil has truely been a lifesaver for me. It totally got rid of sa and did a good job relieving depression too. Last summer I was forced to come off it after a bad experience. The sa and depression came back unfortunatly, but I wasnt suprised. After 6 months I convinced my doctor to put me back on nardil."

2. "I would not worry so much about Nardil; it's not something I've ever seen here and Nardil, as you probably know, is very popular here. I still take it, all these years later! And it STILL works!"

4. "I'm on my third trial of Nardil, and one thing I've learned is it's all about time.. Regardless being at 60 or 105, it took me about 6months exactly to feel fully normal again. Gradual climb up."

5. "1st 3 weeks i crept from 15-45mg. At end of week 3 I went to 60mg and bang- like a light came on.
Ur explination of being like a natural XTC feeling is spot on. Avoidance became a constant search for friends without fear. Lots of things happened for the 1st time (I was 24)- 1st GF, sex, job, place of my own. I could leave a job and get another by the end of the week, not by pushing myself but by pure optimism. Family became loved ones again. I owe alot to Nardil for what it introduced me to- more than a glimpse of what life at the full is really like. Happiness probably for the 1st time ever."

6. "I had great success with both Nardil and Parnate, more so with Nardil. Unfortunately, the side effects were too much for me and I had to switch off completely. But as for the depression my experiences were great."

7. "Nardil brought me back and has kept me there. I will say the first six months are difficult because of side effects, and there are many side effects. But they all virtually subsided. Weight gain is an issue. I have gained weight since starting Nardil, but for me it has reached a point of stability. I look healthy and strong. Been in psychotherapy throughout, which is worth mentioning."

8. "I have failed two trials on Parnate. I've been using Nardil for over a decade. I had serious, treatment resistant atypical double depression, and social anxiety. Nardil, augmented with a small dose of clonazepam is the "BOMB" for this diagnosis. Many other meds will fail. After they all fail, Nardil will still often work. In my not so humble opinion, Nardil should be 2nd tier for this diagnosis. Not the last resort! I am prejudiced!"

9. "I pushed the dose right up to 105mg and it's causing the euphoria like it did when i started it....I mean, I am going up to any gal asking for a DATE, feeling SO SO confident, motivated, blissful!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love washing my room now!!!!!!!! Also, it's killing the anxiety BIG time!!!!! Moral of the story: NARDIL RULES!!!!!!!!!"

10. "When Nardil first kicked in for me back in 1998, it was like flipping a switch. One day I was hopeless and miserable, the next day all of the answers were clear. I have never felt anything like it, before or since.
Good Luck and Be Well,"

11. "Given Nardil has worked the best, something has to give. I love my nights, which I guess is typical with Nardil. I was a night owl before. I dont mind the sexual side effects either, as it almost indirectly serves as birth control (how about that for a different point of view!). I can remember going off Nardil last time and I would lose control so fast, it was embarrassing, because I was simply not used to the feeling. Nardil increases my motivation extremely I do things when its in my system, I have goals, etc. Ive also found caffeine to have a similar effect and even sometimes enhance the feeling."

12. "I agree that you should speak to your doctor, but in my case, I also felt terrible on nardil for the first 6 weeks, very suicidal etc.... and then suddenly I began to feel better, and it took maybe one week or two, for the mood to change completely. This happened quite often, because I had the tendency to try to reduce the dose from 45mg which was my prescribed maintenance dose,to 30 mg once I was ok, but found that I then had to up the dose again, and go through that hell every time. Im no longer on nardil now, because it stopped working for me after about 22 years. I found it a tricky drug for all those reasons, but when it worked, it really worked well."

13. "I always had prayed to write a post like this, but I never knew for sure this day would come. For 10 long years, I was absolutely ravaged by GAD (generalized anxiety disorder) and accompanying depression. There were countless days that I didn't know if I would make it through the day. I never had a suicide plan, but there were times I wish I didn't have to go through the pain and suffering.Before NARDIL saved me, this WEBSITE saved me. I am forever indebted to all the people on here who stuck with me to offer support and encouragement, or just simply showed that they cared. It meant the world to me. Thank you."

14. "I've tried more than 35 different combinations of medications. The only combo that has worked on my major atypical depression and social anxiety has been Nardil with clonazepam."

15. "It took nearly 12 full weeks to kick in, after a lot of nasty side effects that went away (light-headed, constipation, etc.) but I got a euphoric high for a few months.
That leads me to believe it was not a hypomania thing. Hypomania would likely have shown up much sooner. 12 weeks is right in line with expected therapeutic action.
I started getting back confidence and everything."

16. "I began some CBT therapy for a few months, but didnt really do the homework and stopped it because I really had no more problems! the Nardz completely had wiped the distortions and everything out.. i was in a whole new world for the first time.. it felt wonderful!"

17. "I took Nardil for 30 years at 60mg every morning. I had been through every other treatment known at that time. It took the Nardil @ 6 weeks to start working. When it did "oh my God" this is how everyone else feels everyday."

18. "I have been on Nardil for most of the past 14 years. There is nothing like it for atypical depression with social anxiety. I have tapered off Nardil about 5 or 6 times in that 14 year period. Each time thinking that maybe I could live without the medication. Within a matter of months, each time, my major depression returned. I'm a lifer but will probably always keep trying."

19. "i have been on 60mg for a month and a half and the side effects are going away and im getting fantastic results, only after a few months would i go to 75 and beyond. to jump to 90 quick(which is a high dose) your gonna get hit with some hard and bad side effects that could turn you away from a miracle drug. drop back down to 60 and stay there till your comfortable. for the constipation get some fibre pills or metamucil and take it a few times a day, get some probiotics, even activia yogourt. and the backing down the dosage and doing it properly should help with hypotension."

20. "MAOIs are the only anti depressants that work for me. I was on phenelzine from 1992- 2012. I would increaase slowly from 15 mg - 60 mg. The higher dose felt very uncomfortable, but I would stay on it for approx. 4 weeks, and then gradually reduce. My maintenance dose was 45 mg. This was done at the Maudsely Hospital in London, which is a very well respected institution, and they are always consulted by other psychiatrists here in London.

21. "The Nardil HAS made a big difference with the social anxiety, although I would really love it to do even more. I am reluctant to give it up and regress to my former more incapacitating level of social anxiety."

22. "Regarding Nardil, I found it extremely effective for my social phobia, but only at doses of 60 mg/day and above. I did not find therapeutic benefit at so-called "maintenance" doses of 30 to 45 mg/day. Further, I am not aware of any research (or any pscyhopharmacologist, for that matter) which suggests a lower dose does not result in decreased efficacy."

23. "I have taken nardil for several years and had good results. The weight gain was a problem though and it increased my blood pressure. After stopping nardil my depression became horrible. I have since started parnate but the side effects(headache, nausea, fatigue and sleep disturbance are a concern). After several weeks I wonder if I should switch back to Nardil?? Has anyone tried both these medications??? What has been your experiences??"

You are afraid to die, and you’re afraid to live. What a way to exist.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

24. "Gotta say a few things about nardil since this is medication forum. The self confidence i have right now is almost scary. Gotta change some of that old habits you know.. they worked with low self confidence but now i can stay cool :P But its really funny to try out stuff. People react VERY different to me. BETTER. mood lift.. its not like i am happy all the time. like not for no reason. There are still things that upset me. I would say my emotions came to a good healthy level. But i am endlessly thankful for nardil helping me to have this epiphany and to BLAST all denial away. This is why it is a godsent. I can think like a healthy person.. but still the old habits and the old pain, the childhood need to be processed. But when that is done i am a happy man.

25. "I've been taking Nardil for the last 3 months for social anxiety and depression. I started at 30 mgs for 1 week, 45 for 1 week, 60 for 6 weeks, and finally 75 mgs/daily. My symptoms of SA and depression are in complete remission. I have never had such a rhobust response to any single med or combination of meds in my life--and i've been on virtually all of them over the last 10 years.

26. "Hey guys, I've been on Nardil for over a decade and have studied it extensively. It is the only medication that has worked for me out of 45+ different combinations of antidepressants and augmenters. If your depression is atypical and treatment resistant, it is one medication that can work when all else fails. I haven't used Nardil with lithium or stimulants but that is about the only combinations I have not tried. I have combined it with nortriptyline, bupropion and other supposedly contraindicated medications."

27. "Ihave been on Nadil 45mg for six weeks now and it has already changed my life. The depression isn't always completely gone but there is so much difference. I am doing stuff like cleaning out the refrigerator and working in the garden."

28. "Hi all. I increased my dose of Nardil from 60mg to 75mg a few days ago. I am beginning to respond. The antidepressant effect is unmistakable. Yay!"

29. "OK guys, at 60mg Nardil was working well - it kept depression right away and social phobia plus helped my anxiety and derealization....But man, I'm back!!!!! I pushed the dose right up to 105mg and it's causing the euphoria like it did when i started it....I mean, I am going up to any gal asking for a DATE, feeling SO SO confident, motivated, blissful!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love washing my room now!!!!!!!! Also, it's killing the anxiety BIG time!!!!! Moral of the story: NARDIL RULES!!!!!!!!!

30. "Nardil knocked out my first major depression over 12 years ago. It was like flipping a switch when it worked. The side effect profile caused me to quit the medication multiple times for other drug trials, including two on Parnate. Out of 45+ different combinations nothing has worked for my atypical depression and social anxiety except phenelzine combined with clonazepam. Both of these meds affect GABA. I have reduced my Nardil from 90mg to 60mg to lower the side effect profile. As it stands now, I'm a lifer on Nardil."

31. "Yeah for Nardil. For the first time in my life (at least since I was 12), I am fairly comfortable in my own skin. I can talk to people without brutal obsession, I am more assertive, and I feel A LOT better. I feel warmer and more positive. I have a lot of hope for my future. My anxiety, both social and general, is a lot lot less. I have only been on the med for 3 weeks, and it just keeps getting better. Previously, I had been on a variety of SSRIs with no major effect like this. This is amazing. Praise God. Anyone have similar Nardil/MAOI experiences?"

32. "I am on week two of Nardil at 90mg, and I love it. I never thought I'd find something that worked better than the Parnate I was on, but indeed it does. I do miss the dopaminergic "push" that Parnate provided, but Nardil's effect on my anxiety is magical. My social phobia and other anxiety issues are simply gone, and I love it. Needless to say, I'm not depressed; I can't wait to see what this is like after two more weeks."

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

El reservo

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Reserverad

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 06:35 PM
SAS Member

Thanks for making this! How is the Nardil working for you now/for the past year? Anything notable?

My doc is making me stay at 45 for a month before I bump up to 60. I worked my way up from 15 over two weeks. Getting impatient but I do feel some light euphoria which is pretty nice/helps with the pain. But I'm not very functional at present. Can't think clearly and feel a lot of anxiety around people. Basically have a feeling of being weak in the head and an inner fainting feeling at the thought of anything challenging. But better at letting negative feelings go in between interpersonal interactions -maybe that's just the euphoria though.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 07:58 AM
SAS Member

Thank you ChopSuey! Great work!
I really hope that Nardil will work for me too
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 01:48 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
"OK guys, at 60mg Nardil was working well - it kept depression right away and social phobia plus helped my anxiety and derealization....But man, I'm back!!!!! I pushed the dose right up to 105mg and it's causing the euphoria like it did when i started it....I mean, I am going up to any gal asking for a DATE, feeling SO SO confident, motivated, blissful!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love washing my room now!!!!!!!! Also, it's killing the anxiety BIG time!!!!! Moral of the story: NARDIL RULES!!!!!!!!!"
Definitely seeking a high by overdose. I've been there and the side effects are not good. Plus, once you realize that you've used half your refill in 7 days you'll have to drop way down, and that's when reality hits. Try explaining to the people you were cheerful and optimistic with yesterday why you're suddenly stand-offish and aloof today.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 06:28 PM
You can do this!

My Mood: Cheerful
How did you gather the anecdotes? Just curious.

Medication-related posts are for brainstorming purposes only. Talk to your doctor.

My meds: Parnate, Lamictal, Wellbutrin, trazodone
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 10:54 AM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopSuey View Post
8. "I have failed two trials on Parnate. I've been using Nardil for over a decade. I had serious, treatment resistant atypical double depression, and social anxiety. Nardil, augmented with a small dose of clonazepam is the "BOMB" for this diagnosis. Many other meds will fail. After they all fail, Nardil will still often work. In my not so humble opinion, Nardil should be 2nd tier for this diagnosis. Not the last resort! I am prejudiced!"
I wonder what dosage they went to. In the STAR-D trials Parnate failed to shine, no doubt because the median dose was a dinky 39 mg. Push that to 120 mg (or more if need be) and then I bet the results would have been quite different in STAR-D.

Unlike Nardil, Parnate is not liver toxic, so the sky is the limit on dosage. I was on a prescribed dosage of 120 mg of Parnate and tried up to 200 mg (which didn't do any better than 120mg).
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 05:47 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
"Many other meds will fail. After they all fail, Nardil will still often work. In my not so humble opinion, Nardil should be 2nd tier for this diagnosis. Not the last resort! I am prejudiced!"
Nardil is indeed effective, but there are more risks involved than SSRI's SNRI's or smoking cessation meds. You're REM sleep will disappear, you'll probably gain weight, a few will eat the wrong food and become sick or hospitalized, others will take a simple supplement like Velvet Bean which converts to l-dopa and will make you feel like you're about to stroke out. There might be toxic sludge that refuses pass through your bowels because Nardil dries everything out.You might have 2 beers and land flat on your face from your blood pressure dropping. The sky's the limit, really.

Take a whiff of those small orange pills. They smell like cancer.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 05:48 PM
SAS Member

double post
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 06:40 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by User5 View Post
Nardil is indeed effective, but there are more risks involved than SSRI's SNRI's or smoking cessation meds. You're REM sleep will disappear, you'll probably gain weight, a few will eat the wrong food and become sick or hospitalized, others will take a simple supplement like Velvet Bean which converts to l-dopa and will make you feel like you're about to stroke out. There might be toxic sludge that refuses pass through your bowels because Nardil dries everything out.You might have 2 beers and land flat on your face from your blood pressure dropping. The sky's the limit, really.
This is very overdramatic. The first few months of Nardil will be brutal, but after that I'd say almost all side effects will disappear. The biggest advantage over SSRIs in this context is that MAOI sexual side effects actually go away. And everyone who's taken an MAOI knows that the food/med restrictions are of the least worry of all. (You can still drink beer by the way - it just needs to be bottled).

Personally, I am on 90 mg/day and have ZERO side effects except for some minor sexual stuff, which I forsee going away soon and can currently be countered with Wellbutrin at the moment anyways. Also I think I bloat somewhat when I eat. But that's it. Sleep is perfect, etc. And at 60 mg/day I get no sexual sides either.

In comparison, I kept going off and on Zoloft for years in large part because the sexual side effects were awful and I couldn't stand them for long periods of time. And they never went away.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 07:02 AM

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by sighsigh View Post
This is very overdramatic. The first few months of Nardil will be brutal, but after that I'd say almost all side effects will disappear. The biggest advantage over SSRIs in this context is that MAOI sexual side effects actually go away. And everyone who's taken an MAOI knows that the food/med restrictions are of the least worry of all. (You can still drink beer by the way - it just needs to be bottled).

Personally, I am on 90 mg/day and have ZERO side effects except for some minor sexual stuff, which I forsee going away soon and can currently be countered with Wellbutrin at the moment anyways. Also I think I bloat somewhat when I eat. But that's it. Sleep is perfect, etc. And at 60 mg/day I get no sexual sides either.

In comparison, I kept going off and on Zoloft for years in large part because the sexual side effects were awful and I couldn't stand them for long periods of time. And they never went away.
How long have you been taking Nardil and does it work good for SA?
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 07:11 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraShy View Post
I wonder what dosage they went to. In the STAR-D trials Parnate failed to shine, no doubt because the median dose was a dinky 39 mg. Push that to 120 mg (or more if need be) and then I bet the results would have been quite different in STAR-D.

Unlike Nardil, Parnate is not liver toxic, so the sky is the limit on dosage. I was on a prescribed dosage of 120 mg of Parnate and tried up to 200 mg (which didn't do any better than 120mg).
So would you say parnate is as effective for SA at these higher doses?

"He had no form or comeliness that we should look
at him, and no beauty that we should desire him.
He was despised and rejected by men;
a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief;
and as one from whom men hide their faces
he was despised, and we esteemed him not.
...and the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all"
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 02:52 AM
SAS Member

Hey I would like to update my story because I've already experienced some major changes. My depression has now dropped to zero, and while I still have some anxiety related to hectic or stressful social situations I have already seen at least a 60-70 % improvement in that area. Interest in activities I enjoy has returned and even increased from previously. Anxiety used to stop me from focusing or having energy to pursue a thought process before -almost ANY thought process - as fully as i wanted to. No matter what I'd try to work on, i'd be blocked off by a feeling of dread, that I'd have to try to run and hide from, but now I can work on whatever I want and feel so much enjoyment! I have had some light occasional mania and and near-constant mild euphoria that is so pleasant I'm afraid of getting addicted to the feeling. I love talking now and feel my thoughts connect as so much quicker and better, i can talk lucidly on a subject for hours! This is kind of exhausting actually but people seem to enjoy engaging with me so much more because I seem relaxed and happy, though somewhat high and fatigued.

When this talkative streak first kicked in, i was a bit aggressive and insensitive almost like pressurized verbal diarrhea but now engage convos where I'm able to listen and interact more naturally and joke around. Before Nardil when I would make eye contact I would feel an intense shame as though the person was suspecting me of every possible negative thing ans motivation imaginable but now that feeling is almost gone completely!! I smile happily and unselfconsciously and get friendly smiles back, and even if I don't it doesn't phase me as I no longer dissect social interactions. It's like I'm bored of thinking of them right after they occur instead of compulsively analyzing!!

Another strange phenomenon that has happened a few of the days is that instead of overestimating and admiring everyone else and internalizing constant involuntary self-loathing and self-abuse for every failed social interaction - I now tend to think more favorably of my own decisions and actions and less of others'. Had a few days of irritability and judgmental thinking even confronting family members for perceived slights where I ordinarily would have blamed all feelings of rejection on myself and longed to die. This isn't one hundred percent positive or rational but it's been part of the learning process. I'm glad I actually don't have tense social obligations very often at present and can practice on family and friends. Have got into some religious and political Facebook discussions that would have sent my anxiety and self-scrutiny through the roof before with no major no major stress or horror now!!!!!! I am easing into other social situations.

I I have been on 45 mg for a full 3 weeks after working up from 15 mg over 10 days (so a little over a month total). I have severe body fatigue that made me sleep for 18 hours a day for a few days and now makes me need random naps. I still have anhedonia about moving around and going into public due to this bodily exhaustion. But the feeling of well-being, and the intellectual and creative projects I can pursue from home have made me not really mind. I'm blessed try live with family and not be pressure to work right now and hope to continue to see improvement and reduction in side effects.

I've also had constipation and loss of appetite regularly since beginning. I've dropped 10lbs. Recently urinary retention and near-constant annoying urge to pee has kicked in. I'm trying to stay hydrated but this is obnoxious! Recently body-weakness and dizziness when standing has intensified so I have to bend over with my head below heart often and also walk carefully, moving at a snail's pace. Don't mind much because it feels pretty great just to be alive now.

I wonder if I will even need to go up to 60mg. I check in with my doctor about dose increase in 15 days. I tried to persuade my doc to bump me up quicker when I was feeling miserable but now I'm glad she made me wait so I could observe and adjust to effects. It kicked in much sooner than expected with benefits building progressively.

One more odd occurrence - I never had any pain tolerance but Nardil almost seems to be acting like a pain killer or something. I have obsessively started chewing my nails down to nubs! And also gnawing my mouth raw because it feels good:/ I just finally got some waxy gum to chew on today because it was becoming gross and disturbing:/

But overall really thrilling. I can't thank God enough this is actually working!!!!!!!!

"He had no form or comeliness that we should look
at him, and no beauty that we should desire him.
He was despised and rejected by men;
a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief;
and as one from whom men hide their faces
he was despised, and we esteemed him not.
...and the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all"
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 12:29 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurdishFella View Post
How long have you been taking Nardil and does it work good for SA?
About a year and a half. Yes, it has helped me with my SA. The most dramatic change I've felt was when I took 90mg combined with daily kratom use. Not sure if you are familiar with the kratom plant, but for me, I enjoy its pro-social, motivational, and calming effect. I had to find just the right amount of kratom to take though. Too much will but you to sleep, and too little won't help much.

I had some really giddy mornings taking nardil and kratom on an empty stomach. Sometimes I'd combine this with fish oil, phenibut, valerian root, Siberian ginseng, Rhodiola Rosea, and Ashwagandha. This cocktail is no joke, and there are certain risks involved, but it clears the constant brain fog and cuts my anxiety down by 80%.

..I'm tired of Nardil's weight gain side effects and constipation so I'm now switching back to Zoloft and combining it with Vyvanse. I'm still taking kratom and the rest, but also adding Adrafinil, which is kind of a smart/alertness drug (no prescription required). Wow, that's a lot of drugs and herbs.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 12:24 PM
wifi2010012-

Quote:
Originally Posted by User5 View Post
About a year and a half. Yes, it has helped me with my SA. The most dramatic change I've felt was when I took 90mg combined with daily kratom use. Not sure if you are familiar with the kratom plant, but for me, I enjoy its pro-social, motivational, and calming effect. I had to find just the right amount of kratom to take though. Too much will but you to sleep, and too little won't help much.

I had some really giddy mornings taking nardil and kratom on an empty stomach. Sometimes I'd combine this with fish oil, phenibut, valerian root, Siberian ginseng, Rhodiola Rosea, and Ashwagandha. This cocktail is no joke, and there are certain risks involved, but it clears the constant brain fog and cuts my anxiety down by 80%.

..I'm tired of Nardil's weight gain side effects and constipation so I'm now switching back to Zoloft and combining it with Vyvanse. I'm still taking kratom and the rest, but also adding Adrafinil, which is kind of a smart/alertness drug (no prescription required). Wow, that's a lot of drugs and herbs.
So that means that Nardil is not helping you that much as soon as side effects outweight benefits.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 03:53 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newboki View Post
So that means that Nardil is not helping you that much as soon as side effects outweight benefits.
90mg worked awesome, but yeah, the side effects are too harsh. It felt like I was doing something extremely harmful to my body.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page