Moclobemide - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Moclobemide

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moclobemide

From this page is described as a miraculous molecule that has almost the same effectiveness of Nardil without having the same side effects with tyramine and therefore no need for dietary restrictions, in the United States is not approved for sale for commercial reasons so I think it is less popular on this forum than the Nardil, has anyone tried to tell me if it is really effective as the article says?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 12:00 PM
Tired

Language: English
I have. Actually just started on it again today. My experience is that it seems to improve my mood, but makes things like coffee more jittery. I honestly don't know quite what to make of it.

The wikipedia article is very ott. The majority of people don't really get much from it afaik. But it's *very* low on side effects. Seems to do well in trials, but people don't really rate it.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 02:25 AM
SAS Member

Poor moclobemide, so misunderstood.

It should be a first-line treatment really, even more so than SSRIs. It takes the edge off and has few side effects, but is overall quite a mild experience.

It's feared by some who thinks it's a "dangerous" MAOI like Nardil, and hated by some who thought it was supposed to be like Nardil but turned out to be a mild SSRI / caffeine pill combo (i.e. most people on here who ever took it).

I think it could be helpful to a lot of people, especially those who are turned off SSRIs because of the side effects. But its association with MAOIs means it's basically a dead drug prescription-wise. It only gets prescribed to "treatment-resistant" people and then inevitably fails because it's not strong enough, giving it a terrible reputation when it should be being used in milder cases.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 04:42 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sleepy
^^ Sounds interesting, icecreamsnow. Have you taken it, and are you still?

It seems to lack the anxyolytic properties of Nardil, from what I understand, but has far fewer side effects.

My pdoc has mentioned it a few times as an option. So far I've declined and stayed with Nardil. It seems like a surer bet.

Last time I saw him he said he'd just switched one of his patients, a woman, over to moclobemide from Nardil.

Apparently although she was doing well, her weight had ballooned in a couple of months on Nardil. I'm seeing my pdoc in a few days; it'll be interesting to ask him how this person is doing.

At the risk of going off-topic, my doctor also keeps suggesting I could give tranylcypromine a go. Again, I have declined.

It took me a while of nagging before he allowed me to try Nardil, so I guess I'm a little concerned that if I try something else and don't like it, he may be reluctant to let me go back on it.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 07:34 AM
Tired

Language: English
Quote:
Originally Posted by icecreamsnow View Post
Poor moclobemide, so misunderstood.

It should be a first-line treatment really, even more so than SSRIs. It takes the edge off and has few side effects, but is overall quite a mild experience.

It's feared by some who thinks it's a "dangerous" MAOI like Nardil, and hated by some who thought it was supposed to be like Nardil but turned out to be a mild SSRI / caffeine pill combo (i.e. most people on here who ever took it).

I think it could be helpful to a lot of people, especially those who are turned off SSRIs because of the side effects. But its association with MAOIs means it's basically a dead drug prescription-wise. It only gets prescribed to "treatment-resistant" people and then inevitably fails because it's not strong enough, giving it a terrible reputation when it should be being used in milder cases.
That's probably a very good explanation as to why people think its not very good. - the treatment resistance side of things, and people expecting Nardil without sides.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 02:51 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtd1974 View Post
^^ Sounds interesting, icecreamsnow. Have you taken it, and are you still?

It seems to lack the anxyolytic properties of Nardil, from what I understand, but has far fewer side effects.

My pdoc has mentioned it a few times as an option. So far I've declined and stayed with Nardil. It seems like a surer bet.

Last time I saw him he said he'd just switched one of his patients, a woman, over to moclobemide from Nardil.

Apparently although she was doing well, her weight had ballooned in a couple of months on Nardil. I'm seeing my pdoc in a few days; it'll be interesting to ask him how this person is doing.

At the risk of going off-topic, my doctor also keeps suggesting I could give tranylcypromine a go. Again, I have declined.

It took me a while of nagging before he allowed me to try Nardil, so I guess I'm a little concerned that if I try something else and don't like it, he may be reluctant to let me go back on it.
I took it for a brief period. My psych was new to the service and actually let me pick my own med, which I did based on the wiki page about it. I gave up after 2-3 months because it wasn't appreciably different from my underwhelming experiences with SSRIs.

My psych wouldn't even consider the older MAOIs though. She didn't even want to touch the TCAs. It was weird seeing as she'd been so chill about letting me pick a drug based on my own research at the start - one she didn't seem to know much about. After that I was more or less forced to stay on duloxetine with additions of lamotrigine and antipsychotics when it wasn't working. (I think she was a lot more focused on treating the depression rather than the anxiety.)

I'd have liked to give Nardil a go (despite reservations about the side effects and diet stuff), but I don't have access to anyone who will even consider it, and as time goes on it becomes less and less likely that I'll encounter someone willing to prescribe it (the older docs who've dealt with it are all retiring). Also I'm too scared of rejection to push a doc to give me something lol.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 07:00 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sleepy
^^ That's a pity. I can't recommend Nardil enough.

I had also found SSRIs rather underwhelming. The possibility of trying Nardil had been at the back of my mind for a while, but it took time before I mentioned it to my psych.

I think I was worried about its side effects and food interactions.

After I kept mentioning it for a few months, my psych finally gave in.

It's been good, the best med I've tried.

It seems like it doesn't suit everyone, but for those it works for, Nardil is a great medication.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page