Lexapro. - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Lexapro.

I will start taking it for generalized anxiety (from a panic attack). Experiences with Lexapro?

"To hell with reality! I want to die in music, not in reason or in prose. People don't deserve the restraint we show by not going into delirium in front of them. To hell with them."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007, 12:58 PM
SAS Member

re: Lexapro.

i have been on it for 8 days and upped my dose from 10mg to 20mg yesterday, but i think i'm gonna bring it down to 5mg and see how that works. so far i haven't really had any side effects apart from being a bit tired throughout the day. supposed to be a good med so i'm gonna stick with it

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." -Hunter S. Thompson
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007, 07:25 PM
Spectacular Member

im on 20mgs of Lexapro. I take it along with Wellbutrin. Between the two, I get relief from depression, and minor relief of anxiety.

"It's better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one than to have an opportunity and not be prepared." -- Whitney Young Jr.

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-24-2007, 06:55 PM
SAS Member

i just quit lexapro a few days ago (after 45 days). at first i just loathed the sexual side effects, but after a while i started having these crazy mood swings. cycling between hypomanic paranoia and major depression and lethargy. sounds like classic bipolar, right? my p doc said it is common for ssri's to exacerbate these symptoms in already bi-polar types-- only i've never received a bi-polar diagnosis! i was only scripted lexapro for anxiety. i felt more depressed on lexapro than i did before it and it made me manic. now it seems like a gross oversight on the part of my doc... but we are all just guinea pigs aren't we? anyone else go crazy on ssri's?

dx: bipolar ii, panic disorder, PMDD, SA
rx: mirtazapine 30mg, lamotrigine 200mg, levonorgestrel 150g, clonazepam prn, propranolol prn.
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-24-2007, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Re: re: Lexapro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean
i just quit lexapro a few days ago (after 45 days). at first i just loathed the sexual side effects, but after a while i started having these crazy mood swings. cycling between hypomanic paranoia and major depression and lethargy. sounds like classic bipolar, right? my p doc said it is common for ssri's to exacerbate these symptoms in already bi-polar types-- only i've never received a bi-polar diagnosis! i was only scripted lexapro for anxiety. i felt more depressed on lexapro than i did before it and it made me manic. now it seems like a gross oversight on the part of my doc... but we are all just guinea pigs aren't we? anyone else go crazy on ssri's?
I posted a question on yahoo answers and a few people said Lexapro actually caused them anxiety. That puzzled me. My psychiatrist did say Lexapro tends to cause some people drowsiness, while others the opposite. I asked if if she could couple my prescription with some xanax just in case it affected me in the second case, and she wouldn't. She had a blind trust that it would work for me. In that respect, we may be guinea pigs, but it doesn't appear that our suffering has proven fruitful for medicine.

"To hell with reality! I want to die in music, not in reason or in prose. People don't deserve the restraint we show by not going into delirium in front of them. To hell with them."
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-24-2007, 07:41 PM
Permanently Banned

Re: Lexapro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orpheus
Experiences with Lexapro?
It's a standard SSRI. Lowers sex drive, anorgamia -- all that fun stuff. Did nothing good for me.
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-24-2007, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraShy
anorgamia .
What's anorgamia?

post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-24-2007, 07:56 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraShy
anorgamia .
What's anorgamia?
anorgasmia: inability to orgasm. that was my inital problem but then it just turned into a complete loss of libido, for me.

rx: mirtazapine 30mg, lamotrigine 200mg, levonorgestrel 150g, clonazepam prn, propranolol prn.
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 06:33 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
I posted a question on yahoo answers and a few people said Lexapro actually caused them anxiety. That puzzled me. My psychiatrist did say Lexapro tends to cause some people drowsiness, while others the opposite. I asked if if she could couple my prescription with some xanax just in case it affected me in the second case, and she wouldn't. She had a blind trust that it would work for me. In that respect, we may be guinea pigs, but it doesn't appear that our suffering has proven fruitful for medicine.
yes, my doc did warn me that initially (i assumed she meant within the first couple weeks) i would feel some extra anxiety, but what i experienced after a month was totally different. waaaaaaaaay beyond just "some additional anxiety."

about the only thing good it did for me was help me sleep, so i took it before bed instead of in the morning (which is i think how it's usually scripted).

your case sounds so much like mine, sadly. my biggest problem is panic. if your doc won't give you benzos at least try to weasel a beta blocker out of her. i take inderal prn, sometimes just alone (without klonopin) and it works great for controlling panic symptoms (shaking, sweating, heart palpitations, etc). though it won't do anything for the anticipatory anxiety, ie: the AWFUL DREAD... but if it works to keep the symptoms at bay then i find i don't fear the attacks as much. naturally.

good luck!

post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 07:10 PM
Spectacular Member

Quote:
Quote:
you gotta try at least 2-3 SSRI's before you will get prescribed xanax

"It's better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one than to have an opportunity and not be prepared." -- Whitney Young Jr.
post #11 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 08:24 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noca
i've heard this said quite often, but my doc put me on klonopin right away. (i know it's not exactly xanax, but it has a similar stigma). she seemed to think it was standard procedure for anyone suffering from PD and just starting ssri's. (while granted most docs erroneously think ssri's will cure your panic eventually, but i have never known this to be the case).

orpheus, you will probably not be rewarded by asking for either, but it should not too difficult if you have the right doctor.

post #12 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 08:42 PM
Spectacular Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noca
i've heard this said quite often, but my doc put me on klonopin right away. (i know it's not exactly xanax, but it has a similar stigma). she seemed to think it was standard procedure for anyone suffering from PD and just starting ssri's. (while granted most docs erroneously think ssri's will cure your panic eventually, but i have never known this to be the case).

orpheus, you will probably not be rewarded by asking for either, but it should not too difficult if you have the right doctor.
Well in the end it does all come down to luck and chances of getting the right doctor. 2-3 SSRI's first is an average.

post #13 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 01:07 PM
SAS Member

Question for jesserie and anyone else who has had success with lexapro. I just started it about a week ago (only at 5mg) and have had some serious headaches. Did anyone else have them and how long before they went away? Im worried b/c I think Lexapro might work for me, but my dr. said if I get them more than 2 weeks, I have to stop it. Thanks alot, Maria
post #14 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

So it's my second day on .5 of Lexapro. I have this unsettling feeling that my generalized anxiety has slightly spiked since I've been on it. That's not a good sign.

post #15 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 07:11 PM
resident classicist

I've been taking 10 mgs of it for a week and so far I'm just dead tired with absolutely no appetite.

"[Hillary Clinton] is a *****. And so am I. *****es get stuff done. That's why Catholic schools use nuns instead of priests. At the end of the year you hated those *****es, but you knew the capital of Vermont." - Tina Fey
post #16 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 12:24 AM
SAS Member

I am on 20mg of Lexapro. It works well for me.
post #17 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 01:41 PM
SAS Member

Definitely hang in there. It made my anxiety worse for a few days or so. It is exactly 2 weeks today since I started the 5mg and I finally am having a day that I dont feel horrible (from my physical anxiety symptoms). Dont want to speak too soon, but its the first time in months. They told me to be patient and you have to do the same. From what I hear- it is really worth it. Good luck, Maria
post #18 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 06:10 PM
Spectacular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezoomny
I've been taking 10 mgs of it for a week and so far I'm just dead tired with absolutely no appetite.
I too suffer the same symptoms you describe, no appetite and tiredness.

post #19 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 06:44 PM
SAS Member

Hey me too im so tired I keep yawning non stop and I have no appetite!!! drinkin caffinated soda really helps but wares off after a couple hours. Im on paxil tho 10 mgs, previously I was on Lexapro and before that zoloft, I remember Lexapro being a gentler medication than zoloft i had few side effects appetite loss and sex drive loss thats it. I think Lexapro isnt an as powerful drug as most the other ssri's.
post #20 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 11:48 PM
SAS Member

I am on 10 mg of lexapro and have had slight success with it. It has made me less shakey in social situations and I can now make eye contact with people. Still it's not nearly as effective as my benzos.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page