Lexapro - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Lexapro

thoughts thanx

If I am not for myself, WHO will be? If I am only for myself, WHAT I am? And if not now, WHEN?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 06:32 PM
SAS Member

re: Lexapro

Thoughts?

Well, I took it for more than a month before it started working, once it did I had to up the dose every two weeks, I gained a ridiculous amount of weight, didn't have problems with the anorgasmia thing but it killed my sex drive so that didn't matter, and it didn't do a heck of a lot for my anxiety. Really just the depression alone ... and not a whole lot for that. Oh, and I couldn't sleep more than four hours a day.

I actually ended up having to stop it cold turkey, since I evacuated from New Orleans and had no access to a doctor or even a pharmacy for that matter. But I was planning to stop it anyway.

That was my experience. Maybe someone else here has a higher opinion of it.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 06:59 PM
Spectacular Member

I take 20mgs of lexapro. I really dont know how well it works. I assume it works for my depression, not much for my anxiety though.

"It's better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one than to have an opportunity and not be prepared." -- Whitney Young Jr.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 12:32 AM
SAS Member

I've been on Lexapro for 12 days. I've been having vivid, crazy dreams and my moods have been up and down. It works for my anxiety whenever I am happy. When I'm happy, I have a tendency to be more talkative. In fact, it makes me a little more outgoing and expressive than I'm used to. It kind of gives you a feeling of not caring at times. I'll sing in front of my husband sometimes, something I would never do under any other circumstances. At work they wanted our thoughts on a new system they had implemented for us. I emailed them telling them I felt that they botched the launch and they should've spent more time on it. They wanted my thoughts, and I gave them that. That was the truth and I'm sure other people felt that way as well. I feel kind of remorseful for writing that, but not too much. The boss thought it was inappropriate. I wonder if that was me or the lexapro really talking? I am usually careful and when emailing, I try not to offend anyone with my wording. I might even be able to tell the boss to go #@!$% himself one day.

I've noticed lately, there has been a lot of expression with me. With my body, the way I talk, the way I walk, the way I feel, and even write has been very expressive. Today, I feel like crap. I had a lot of crappy days throughout this 12 day period on lexapro and some good. Whenever I'm happy I talk more and my anxiety is less. Whenever I'm sad, I am withdrawn and my anxiety goes through the roof. So if this happens to you, This may be medicine you need for your SA.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 02:02 AM
SAS Member

Re: re: Lexapro

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 05:58 PM
SAS Member

I am currently going thru cold turkey paxil withdrawal because dum but me let prescription run out; however I am curious in regards to Lexapro. I am curious as to how I would do on it. I do tremendously well on paxil. Hmmmmmmmmmmm..........................

Jimiam
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 04:28 PM
SAS Member

I took lexapro for a couple years. Its very expensive, I think it was 20mg/30 pills for $66. I didnt like it personally. When I first started I noticed a significant change so I stayed on it. But I was too tired on the 20mg doses, even a 10mg dose while I was awake would knock me out. So I took 5mg and a doctor told me I was pretty much wasting my time and so I went cold turkey. Had some headaches getting off it though, be careful.
I agree that it probably works better on depression than anxiety, it never prevented an attack but it did reduce the intensity.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-25-2007, 05:11 PM
SAS Member

I've been on Lexapro while tapering off effexor xr for the last 2 weeks. 1st week, 5mg/night, since then 10mg/night. During the first few days, I couldn't sleep well, but that has improved somewhat lately. Also, I think it's already working on my depression and anxiety already. I'll wait and see what it does in the next month or two.

Let me know of your experiences with Lexapro.

Demian

"Man's unique agony as a species consists in his perpetual conflict between the desire to stand out and the need to blend in." -Sydney Harris
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 07:11 AM
SAS Member

I've been on 20mg Lexapro for about a year now.

It's to the point where I'm not even sure anymore how well it's working for me. I do know that it makes me crazy tired all the time. For that reason I'm considering getting off of it. Doesn't really matter how much sleep I get, I still feel tired. As someone else mentioned, it also gives me really vivid/weird dreams every night which I'm not really a big fan of.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 09:29 PM
SAS Member

I'm taking Lexapro 10mg/day before bedtime. It's been about a month now, and my sleep is being interrupted. I wake up once or twice every night, and I have vivid dreams almost every night. Other than that, it seems to have helped my depression better than the effexor xr which I'd been taking and now am almost tapered off of.

Any other Lexapro users with similar problems? How long have you been taking it, what dosage, and when(before bed or in the morning)? How has it helped your anxiety and/or depression compared to other meds, if you've taken other ADs? I'd appreciate your input.

Thanks in advance,

Demian

"Man's unique agony as a species consists in his perpetual conflict between the desire to stand out and the need to blend in." -Sydney Harris
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 10:22 PM
SAS Member

I've been on Lexapro for 3 weeks. I don't feel a feeling of sedation like I did on paxil. I feel quite good or well so far. It must affect people in different ways. My sleep is fine as well. I don't know if the lexapro will continue to be effective in the longrun. I'll guess we'll see.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 12:05 PM
SAS Member

Lexapro works wonders for depression and mood swings but causes drastic sexual side effects
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 07:59 PM
SAS Member

I just started on 10mg lexapro; I've been taking it for only two days, but I haven't any side effects at all so far. It's kind of weird because I was expecting to have some side effects, maybe they just haven't hit yet.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 09:00 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lboy68001
Lexapro works wonders for depression and mood swings but causes drastic sexual side effects
ditto the sexual side effects! i am totally anorgasmic and it hasn't even been a month! honestly i've yet to experience any anxiety or panic relief from it either... but i'm also on klonopin and inderal, so who can say? perhaps i just haven't given it a chance yet? or maybe my doc will let me drop it and refill my klonopin script! yay!

dx: bipolar ii, panic disorder, PMDD, SA
rx: mirtazapine 30mg, lamotrigine 200mg, levonorgestrel 150g, clonazepam prn, propranolol prn.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 03:52 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SADLiath
Thoughts?

Well, I took it for more than a month before it started working, once it did I had to up the dose every two weeks, I gained a ridiculous amount of weight, didn't have problems with the anorgasmia thing but it killed my sex drive so that didn't matter, and it didn't do a heck of a lot for my anxiety. Really just the depression alone ... and not a whole lot for that. Oh, and I couldn't sleep more than four hours a day.

I actually ended up having to stop it cold turkey, since I evacuated from New Orleans and had no access to a doctor or even a pharmacy for that matter. But I was planning to stop it anyway.

That was my experience. Maybe someone else here has a higher opinion of it.

I'm also live in New Orleans and take Lexapro

My experiance has been pretty good with it. It has helped alot with the depression and a bit with the anxiety. However, I have also gained a bit of weight from it which isn't really that good when you have social anxiety.... Ive also been having insanley vivid dreams recently (mostly about zombies) which is quite fun. To be quite honest its made my life alot better and I'm happy with it. I rarely get suicidal thoughts anymore.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 09:15 PM
SAS Member

Lexapro, an interesting drug. Well I can say I've taken almost every antidepressant, and for me, lexapro was several notches above the rest in quality. Which bothers me, because it's expensive. I thought it was just some knock-off drug used to extend the celexa patent...until I tired it and found out that for me, it really does work better.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 05:29 AM
SAS Member

yes, it is freakin' expensive! 50 bucks a month even with insurance! stupid single source meds...

i'm glad to hear that it's working for some people, so don't listen to me. i don't understand why i'm on it anyway. i suppose maybe it has helped my GAD a little, but not my panic disorder. as far as i know it's not even approved to treat PD... and i should add that i'm not depressed (at least i haven't been majorly depressed to the point that i think i would need help with it for a couple years now). do any ssri's treat PD?

dx: bipolar ii, panic disorder, PMDD, SA
rx: mirtazapine 30mg, lamotrigine 200mg, levonorgestrel 150g, clonazepam prn, propranolol prn.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 10:25 AM
SAS Member

i'm seeing the doc today and i'm gonna mention lexapro. but can someone elaborate on the sexual side effects?....you can't get it up? you can't orgasm? both? or sex just lasts forever but you never orgasm? don't understand it.

and 1 more question.....can smoking or drinking interfere with the med

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." -Hunter S. Thompson
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 10:30 AM
SAS Member

double post

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." -Hunter S. Thompson
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 10:30 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean
do any ssri's treat PD?
paxil and zoloft are approved for pd.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page