labile hypertension - Social Anxiety Forum
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 20

labile hypertension


i wonder from your experience whats the best med's, or med's that helped you, for controlling labile hypertension
or Paroxysmal hypertension(spikes of blood pressure).
thanks
vansssafa is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 03:23 AM
Permanently Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Milwaukee, WI (BDSM sadist, Libertarian)
Gender: Male
Age: 47
Posts: 38,432
I had to look it up, having never heard of it before:

Quote:
Labile Hypertension

Labile hypertension is blood pressure that fluctuates abruptly and repeatedly, often causing symptoms such as headache or ringing in the ears. People with labile hypertension often react to emotional stress with an increase in blood pressure. Frequently, traditional blood-pressure medicines have little effect. Some people with labile hypertension require anti-anxiety medications in order to gain control of their blood pressure.

People who are habitually affected by stress — whether from losing a job, feeling pressure at work or simply getting stuck in traffic — may develop high blood pressure that could inflict some of the same damage as full-time hypertension.
Perhaps a benzo like Xanax would be more helpful than any BP meds.

I've long had primary hypertension (in addition to a high resting pulse around 100). I've found beta blockers to be the most effective for me (since they lower my pulse as well as BP) and they do so without any side effects. I take 10mg of bisoprolol daily. I've used atenolol & metoprolol in the past, and they work just fine too. My elderly mother used atenolol.

I find diuretics totally useless; HCTZ might as well be a sugar pill, while furosemide causes me to pee with insanely annoying frequency.

ACE inhibitors, specifically enalapril, is fully effective in lowering my BP, but doesn't lower pulse so it's not of any use to me.

Diltiazem, a calcium channel blocker, lowers both BP & pulse -- so similar to a beta blocker -- but it causes my ankles to swell a little bit. It also still doesn't lower pulse as effectively as a beta blocker.
UltraShy is offline  
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraShy View Post
I had to look it up, having never heard of it before:



Perhaps a benzo like Xanax would be more helpful than any BP meds.

I've long had primary hypertension (in addition to a high resting pulse around 100). I've found beta blockers to be the most effective for me (since they lower my pulse as well as BP) and they do so without any side effects. I take 10mg of bisoprolol daily. I've used atenolol & metoprolol in the past, and they work just fine too. My elderly mother used atenolol.

I find diuretics totally useless; HCTZ might as well be a sugar pill, while furosemide causes me to pee with insanely annoying frequency.

ACE inhibitors, specifically enalapril, is fully effective in lowering my BP, but doesn't lower pulse so it's not of any use to me.

Diltiazem, a calcium channel blocker, lowers both BP & pulse -- so similar to a beta blocker -- but it causes my ankles to swell a little bit. It also still doesn't lower pulse as effectively as a beta blocker.


thanks for your answer. i tried beta blockers with no effect on my situation.
vansssafa is offline  
 
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 04:16 AM
Permanently Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Milwaukee, WI (BDSM sadist, Libertarian)
Gender: Male
Age: 47
Posts: 38,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by vansssafa View Post
thanks for your answer. i tried beta blockers with no effect on my situation.
Have you tried benzos? If so, at what dose?
UltraShy is offline  
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraShy View Post
Have you tried benzos? If so, at what dose?
yeah. benzos not work 100%. the spikes still happen.
vansssafa is offline  
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 05:30 AM
Permanently Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Milwaukee, WI (BDSM sadist, Libertarian)
Gender: Male
Age: 47
Posts: 38,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by vansssafa View Post
yeah. benzos not work 100%. the spikes still happen.
So to what degree do benzos work? And at what dose? Most anxiety patients get woefully inadequate doses, thus my question about dosage.
UltraShy is offline  
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 06:22 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraShy View Post
So to what degree do benzos work? And at what dose? Most anxiety patients get woefully inadequate doses, thus my question about dosage.
its not such anxiety disroder. its blood pressure spikes. i tried medium doses of clonazepam. and still blood pressure spikes.
vansssafa is offline  
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 07:31 AM
fated to pretend
 
Harbinger1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 377
ultra shy pretty much got the most important meds covered, but can you tell more about your paroxysmal hypertension? what are you doing when it happens and what sort of physical symptons do you show when it happens? (like nausea, heart rate, skincolor, sweating, headache, that kind of stuff)

"super inspirational quote"
Harbinger1 is offline  
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger1 View Post
ultra shy pretty much got the most important meds covered, but can you tell more about your paroxysmal hypertension? what are you doing when it happens and what sort of physical symptons do you show when it happens? (like nausea, heart rate, skincolor, sweating, headache, that kind of stuff)
it can happen with no reason. the symptoms are rapid and hard heartbeat, shortness of breath and restlessness
vansssafa is offline  
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 03:00 PM
fated to pretend
 
Harbinger1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by vansssafa View Post
it can happen with no reason. the symptoms are rapid and hard heartbeat, shortness of breath and restlessness
well it could be just a part of the labile hypretension and then i would stick to the bčtablokkers or perhabs an a1-antagonist. plus the majority of sudden attacks of hypertension is caused by a panic disorder (besides common stress of course) so you might want to check that out again (you are on a anxiety website after all).

"super inspirational quote"
Harbinger1 is offline  
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger1 View Post
well it could be just a part of the labile hypretension and then i would stick to the bčtablokkers or perhabs an a1-antagonist. plus the majority of sudden attacks of hypertension is caused by a panic disorder (besides common stress of course) so you might want to check that out again (you are on a anxiety website after all).
beta blockers i tried even propranolol and others. it didnt stopped the spikes just more control in heart rate. a1 antagonist i didnt tried.
propranolol even in some point increase my spikes i dont know why.
i know i'm on anxiety forum, but a lot of people here have also problems with blood pressure so i thought it might give me more ideas...
vansssafa is offline  
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 10:19 PM
You can do this!
 
Caedmon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cascadia
Gender: Male
Age: 39
Posts: 4,464
My Mood: Cheerful
Quote:
Originally Posted by vansssafa View Post
it can happen with no reason. the symptoms are rapid and hard heartbeat, shortness of breath and restlessness
Blood pressure and pulse readings are typically.....?

Are you seeing a cardiologist for this?

Ruled out panic disorder?

ECG done? Holter monitor? Bloodwork incl CMP?

(See, psychiatry is easy. You just write the names of SSRIs on little rocks and put them in a bag, close your eyes and draw one out. Boom. When that doesn't work you just repeat the process until all the rocks are gone, and then blame the patient.)

Medication-related posts are for brainstorming purposes only. Talk to your doctor.

My meds: Parnate, Lamictal, Wellbutrin, trazodone
Caedmon is offline  
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 05:40 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caedmon View Post
Blood pressure and pulse readings are typically.....?

Are you seeing a cardiologist for this?

Ruled out panic disorder?

ECG done? Holter monitor? Bloodwork incl CMP?

(See, psychiatry is easy. You just write the names of SSRIs on little rocks and put them in a bag, close your eyes and draw one out. Boom. When that doesn't work you just repeat the process until all the rocks are gone, and then blame the patient.)

yeah im healthy except that everything is fine.
vansssafa is offline  
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 06:35 AM
You can do this!
 
Caedmon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cascadia
Gender: Male
Age: 39
Posts: 4,464
My Mood: Cheerful
Hooray! Then I guess you're cured.

Medication-related posts are for brainstorming purposes only. Talk to your doctor.

My meds: Parnate, Lamictal, Wellbutrin, trazodone
Caedmon is offline  
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caedmon View Post
Hooray! Then I guess you're cured.
wtf? r u a little child? if you don't have something to add to my thread that don't write.....
vansssafa is offline  
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 07:31 PM
You can do this!
 
Caedmon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cascadia
Gender: Male
Age: 39
Posts: 4,464
My Mood: Cheerful
That's not very nice. You didn't answer any of my questions above. You only wrote that you were healthy. I was merely congratulating you on your new-found good health.

Here, I'll write the questions again so that you don't get confused:
  1. Blood pressure and pulse readings are typically.....?
  2. Are you seeing a cardiologist for this?
  3. Ruled out panic disorder?
  4. ECG done? Holter monitor? Bloodwork incl CMP?

Medication-related posts are for brainstorming purposes only. Talk to your doctor.

My meds: Parnate, Lamictal, Wellbutrin, trazodone
Caedmon is offline  
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caedmon View Post
That's not very nice. You didn't answer any of my questions above. You only wrote that you were healthy. I was merely congratulating you on your new-found good health.

Here, I'll write the questions again so that you don't get confused:
  1. Blood pressure and pulse readings are typically.....?
  2. Are you seeing a cardiologist for this?
  3. Ruled out panic disorder?
  4. ECG done? Holter monitor? Bloodwork incl CMP?


did you noticed what i wrote? except the labile blood pressure i don't have any issues(no heart kidney and others...)
cant you read? and by the way you noticed what my thread was?

"experience whats the best med's, or med's that helped you, for controlling labile hypertension" that mean i'm looking for people with similar issues....

when i said i'm healthy i mean i also been at cardiologist. and by the way cardiologist not treating high blood pressure.

my levels of blood pressure are at average 120-130/80. on spikes it can reach to 180/90-100.

if you don't have anything with good information for me to this thread, than don't write.
vansssafa is offline  
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 09:14 PM
SAS Member
 
kageri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Iowa
Gender: Female
Age: 35
Posts: 1,894
My Mood: Bored
Quote:
often causing symptoms such as headache or ringing in the ears
That might just explain something.... I have tachycardia and my blood pressure is all over the board. Labs are always fine otherwise and heart and lung tests were fine except my heart rate goes up unexpectedly and sometimes takes my respiration rate with it. If I go to the hospital it stabilizes within a few hours and they try to say it's panic attacks except that last time I showed up in urgent care with diastolic in the 40s. No one is sure how that happened. I have also had ringing in my ears randomly for the past 6months but no one found any problems there either. I get headaches frequently but lack of sleep and meds taken to try to prevent lack of sleep might cause that.

Beta blockers mostly give me asthma. I can take bystolic which is more for blood pressure than tachycardia but it doesn't seem to really help. Maybe because constant high blood pressure is not my problem and I have those low dips too. I'm not sure benzos are the answer though. I think they are actually contributing to my problems. I can feel when temazepam kicks in and I start to get waves with my heart rate spiking. It sometimes helps if I take it farther from my other meds but it still seems to be the main cause. Lorazepam is better but doesn't last long enough for my purposes. Flurazepam is worse and I've had to stop rotating it in. Doral was perfect. I never built tolerance to it, my heart rate was much more stable, and I slept great. Some little company bought the formula, spent 6 months not making acceptable batches, and then went out of business so the only place making quazepam right now is in spain.
kageri is offline  
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 09:22 PM
Permanently Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Milwaukee, WI (BDSM sadist, Libertarian)
Gender: Male
Age: 47
Posts: 38,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by vansssafa View Post
it can happen with no reason. the symptoms are rapid and hard heartbeat, shortness of breath and restlessness
Sounds like a panic attack.

What did your cardiologist advise, seeing how there's clearly something wrong? I gather he had nothing useful to say otherwise you wouldn't be asking strangers online.
UltraShy is offline  
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kageri View Post
That might just explain something.... I have tachycardia and my blood pressure is all over the board. Labs are always fine otherwise and heart and lung tests were fine except my heart rate goes up unexpectedly and sometimes takes my respiration rate with it. If I go to the hospital it stabilizes within a few hours and they try to say it's panic attacks except that last time I showed up in urgent care with diastolic in the 40s. No one is sure how that happened. I have also had ringing in my ears randomly for the past 6months but no one found any problems there either. I get headaches frequently but lack of sleep and meds taken to try to prevent lack of sleep might cause that.

Beta blockers mostly give me asthma. I can take bystolic which is more for blood pressure than tachycardia but it doesn't seem to really help. Maybe because constant high blood pressure is not my problem and I have those low dips too. I'm not sure benzos are the answer though. I think they are actually contributing to my problems. I can feel when temazepam kicks in and I start to get waves with my heart rate spiking. It sometimes helps if I take it farther from my other meds but it still seems to be the main cause. Lorazepam is better but doesn't last long enough for my purposes. Flurazepam is worse and I've had to stop rotating it in. Doral was perfect. I never built tolerance to it, my heart rate was much more stable, and I slept great. Some little company bought the formula, spent 6 months not making acceptable batches, and then went out of business so the only place making quazepam right now is in spain.

so you only experience rise in heart rate or also in blood pressure?
you can try other beta blockers like atenolol or bisoprolol
vansssafa is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
labile hypertension vansssafa Secondary Disorders 5 02-20-2015 08:08 PM
Medications and Hypertension Bert Reynolds Medication 0 03-08-2014 07:01 PM
MAOI hypertension depressed77 Medication 8 08-16-2013 03:27 AM
Intracranial hypertension Eversosweeten General Discussion 0 01-18-2013 02:36 PM
Hypertension jaayhou Secondary Disorders 1 11-17-2009 07:36 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome