L-Theanine as a supplement for anxiety - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Language: English

L-Theanine as a supplement for anxiety

Anyone try L-Theanine as a supplement for anxiety. It is supposed to be effective to reduce anxiety. Have any luck or experience with it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 11:36 PM
SAS Member

Language: English and Roumanian
My Mood: Lonely
I've tried, in fact i still have some pills there,at 200-300 mg range i do feel something, it's like a mild benzo for me,however it doesn't cause sedation,it will not stop panic attacks but somehow manage to stop rumination and im overall more relaxed.
You should try it !
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius.Petran View Post
I've tried, in fact i still have some pills there,at 200-300 mg range i do feel something, it's like a mild benzo for me,however it doesn't cause sedation,it will not stop panic attacks but somehow manage to stop rumination and im overall more relaxed.
You should try it !
Thanks. Sounds like it is at least mildly effective. Ill have to give it a try. Got a brand you like?

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 12:41 PM
SAS Member

Language: English and Roumanian
My Mood: Lonely
I've heard that "Sun-theanine" its the best , i own the simple L-Theanine brand and i still feel some effects from it too.
I also recomend to combine L-Theanine with coffee,it will give you a nice boost in energy / mood without jitters from coffee.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 04:39 PM

My Mood: Relaxed
TBH, I have not had any in pill form that matches the effect of when you get it from tea. And tea is hit or miss (can't really go by brand name).

I have some that I take occasionally but TBH, any perceived benefits I get from it could be placebo (since I obviously take it expecting results). When I first started drinking tea, I didn't know anything about it but noticed a very nice, smooth effect with some teas and wondered why it was so much different than coffee.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 12:19 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sad
i didnt find any relief from it
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysmurf View Post
i didnt find any relief from it
That is disappointing. Manage to try something to find relief?
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 08:22 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinmd View Post
That is disappointing. Manage to try something to find relief?

no i just isolate.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 09:50 AM
alien monk

My Mood: Devilish
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
TBH, I have not had any in pill form that matches the effect of when you get it from tea. And tea is hit or miss (can't really go by brand name).

I have some that I take occasionally but TBH, any perceived benefits I get from it could be placebo (since I obviously take it expecting results). When I first started drinking tea, I didn't know anything about it but noticed a very nice, smooth effect with some teas and wondered why it was so much different than coffee.
yeah tea works for me too. meds never helped me at all. I tried L-theanine and a few other supplements and they also sid did nothing.

I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the waters to create many ripples. ― Mother Teresa
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 10:06 AM
SAS Member

Language: Portuguese, French, German, English
Quote:
no i just isolate.
The only thing that ever really worked for me was "Phenibut" and only the first few times I used it. I was completely uninhibited. I couldn't care less about what others thought. But that thing is so addictive that you will struggle to come of after only a few days usage

"Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of the antichrist." ~ Our Lady of La Salette
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 01:34 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndTimes View Post
The only thing that ever really worked for me was "Phenibut" and only the first few times I used it. I was completely uninhibited. I couldn't care less about what others thought. But that thing is so addictive that you will struggle to come of after only a few days usage

it says not approved in the USA
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 02:52 PM
SAS Member

Language: Portuguese, French, German, English
Quote:
it says not approved in the USA
I think it is approved in the UK. It is not sold as a med over there.

"Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of the antichrist." ~ Our Lady of La Salette
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 03:49 PM

Has anybody tried Kava tea? I've heard that it's supposed to be really calming. Yogi has a kava tea but I'm not sure how strong it is.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 06:30 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze View Post
Has anybody tried Kava tea? I've heard that it's supposed to be really calming. Yogi has a kava tea but I'm not sure how strong it is.
sometimes i drink tea, its OK i guess . just be careful if you are on medications it can have side effects for some who are on medications..
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Ive tried Kava pill supplements in pill form. Did'nt do much for me that I noticed unfortunately. Has bad side effects as well.

Kava is considered unsafe due to many reports of fatal effects on the liver, including hepatitis, cirrhosis, and liver failure.

You should not use kava if you have liver disease.

Kava is considered unsafe due to many reports of fatal effects on the liver, including hepatitis, cirrhosis, and liver failure. Even short-term use (1 to 3 months) may increase your risk of liver damage.
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 12:03 PM
SAS Member

For me L-theanine powder basically just takes the edge off and makes me a little tired. As someone said Suntheanine is the best. I've taken the capsules and the are pretty effective. Personally, kratom is better overall.
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 01:10 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BReal View Post
For me L-theanine powder basically just takes the edge off and makes me a little tired. As someone said Suntheanine is the best. I've taken the capsules and the are pretty effective. Personally, kratom is better overall.

did it work instantly for you? for social anxiety or general? how much did you take?

i took it for a few weeks or months i can't remember it was years ago (as suggested by my doctor) but i saw no difference i told him
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinmd View Post
Ive tried Kava pill supplements in pill form. Did'nt do much for me that I noticed unfortunately. Has bad side effects as well.

Kava is considered unsafe due to many reports of fatal effects on the liver, including hepatitis, cirrhosis, and liver failure.

Kava is considered unsafe due to many reports of fatal effects on the liver, including hepatitis, cirrhosis, and liver failure. Even short-term use (1 to 3 months) may increase your risk of liver damage.
I've read about Kava and I'm aware that you have to be cautious with it. I don't think you're supposed to consume it too much or too often. I'm not on any meds & I have no liver issues so I'll probably at least give the tea a try and see if it has any calming effect.

What kind of side effects did you get from it in pill form?
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BReal View Post
My brother used to use Kratom (not for anxiety, but to ease withdrawal symptoms from opiates). He gave me some once and all it did was make me extremely sick for 24 hours. Puked my guts out lol. I think he must have given me way too much but damn that was horrible.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-17-2019, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
What kind of side effects did you get from it in pill form?
Seems like from what I read there is a risk of giving yourself Liver damage. That would be the one I would be worried about. Not sure how likely the risk is but it isn't zero

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page