Just started Ritalin (aka Duke's Ritalin log) - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
Permanently bored

Just started Ritalin (aka Duke's Ritalin log)

Just picked up my Ritalin script this morning and thought I'd note down my progress in case anyone is interested.

I'm only starting on 5 mg at the suggestion of the psychiatrist in case it makes my anxiety worse (I know it won't because I've taken high-dose stimulants before, but I didn't want to mention it in case I got labelled as a drug-seeker), with the intention of bumping it up to 10 and maybe an XR form after a month, but I only weigh 120 lbs-ish and I don't take stimulants often so it should be enough to do something.

I'm mainly going to focus on ADHD, but if it has any effect on my SA, I'll be sure to mention it.

Just took my first dose an hour ago along with my supplements (1 g DL-phenylalanine, 1.2 g fish oil, green tea), an antacid and a couple of cigarettes. Feeling a bit more clear-headed and relaxed than usual. Depression and anxiety are zero right now and I'm completely focused on typing this instead of drifting off and thinking about something else. First impressions are good, can't wait to see what the results will be like when I have to get some work done, especially when the dose is bumped up.

First impressions are good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 07:46 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Prunes View Post
Just took my first dose an hour ago along with my supplements (1 g DL-phenylalanine, 1.2 g fish oil, green tea),
Hey man that's good news,

Sorry to take things off-topic for a sec, but if you don't mind my asking how are you finding DL-phenylalanine as a supplement? I have been considering purchasing some lately. Mostly because the D-phenylalanine part interests me.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Permanently bored

Phenylalanine doesn't really have any noticeable effects for me.

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
Permanently bored

Apparently the brand the pharmacy gave me is actually dexmethylphenidate instead of racemic. Not sure how they compare, but I don't think they're supposed to be as different as racemic amphetamine vs dextroamphetamine. I've read in some places that it's 1.5-2x stronger and in other places that it has less duration, but this is my first time trying any form of it so I don't have anything to compare it to other than recreational amphetamine doses, and obviously it can't compare to that.

Taking my 2nd dose now. I'm supposed to be on 3x a day or PRN if I'm studying, but I didn't take a morning dose and I don't want to take it again too late in case it triggers any insomnia. I forgot what the psychiatrist said about how far apart to take them, but from what I've read in the past, it lasts about 2-3 hours. I can't feel it wearing off, but apparently it's a pretty steep comedown so I'm expecting it to poop out soon.

Still feeling good though Been arranging some drum and bass breaks for the last hour without getting tired of it; normally I get bored of that after 10 minutes and just listen to what I've done over and over again while reading forums.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Permanently bored

Got a bit of a headache coming on but I don't think it's from the pills, I've only taken 10 mg in total today and I've never had headaches from other stimulants.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 05:27 PM
The Power Of Nature

Better stock up on DXM before tolerance kicks in

Disclaimer: I am not a professional, all my advice is based on my own research and experiences.

"A lie told often enough becomes the truth."
-Lenin

Loving my girl.

Anyone is free to PM me questions or ask my MSN adress.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 12:06 AM
Spectacular Member

Quote:
Got a bit of a headache coming on but I don't think it's from the pills, I've only taken 10 mg in total today and I've never had headaches from other stimulants.
Are you making sure to eat while your on Ritalin? If you forget to eat or don't consume enough sugar then that could cause your headaches.

"It's better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one than to have an opportunity and not be prepared." -- Whitney Young Jr.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
Permanently bored

It could well have been that, but I don't normally get those kinds of headaches even though I never eat lunch and often skip breakfast. I get migraines a couple of times a month but I think I already know what the triggers are for those.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
Permanently bored

On dose #2 for today atm and definitely not feeling as much as yesterday, my anxiety and depression are still zero, but I'm not feeling as focused. Is it really possible for tolerance to form after 1 day and 15 mg or am I just expecting too much?

I'm considering splitting my dose up into 2x 7.5 mg instead of 3x 5 mg until I get my 10 mg or XR script next month. Until I'm back in education, I don't need the effect all day anyway, usually just in the afternoon. Still no side-effects though, but that's not surprising at this dose I guess.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 09:07 AM
The Power Of Nature

Quote:
On dose #2 for today atm and definitely not feeling as much as yesterday, my anxiety and depression are still zero, but I'm not feeling as focused. Is it really possible for tolerance to form after 1 day and 15 mg or am I just expecting too much?
Tried to suggest the DXM before day 2 mate, in 2 weeks the antidepressant and anti sa effects will be ABOLISHED.

Disclaimer: I am not a professional, all my advice is based on my own research and experiences.

"A lie told often enough becomes the truth."
-Lenin

Loving my girl.

Anyone is free to PM me questions or ask my MSN adress.
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Permanently bored

I was gonna suggest memantine at my next appointment. I'm seeing a neuropsychiatrist, not some random SSRI-dispenser, so I might have a chance of convincing them. I didn't want to mention that I knew anything about drugs the first time in case they kicked me out for being a 'drug seeker'.

I don't think I have any tolerance yet though cause the anti-depressant/anxiety effects are still 100% there, just the ADHD effects aren't working as well, unless yesterday was just placebo effect and the dose isn't high enough to do anything.
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 01:41 PM
Inside my head im free

I did that crap when i was 13. It caused me to shake and twitch for no reason at all, i couldnt eat, i couldnt sleep. My head wouldnt sit still, ugh that crap was bad. Best of luck to you though

My point of view, while extremely cogent, is unpopular….That the repressive nature of the legalities vis-a-vis drugs are destroying the legal system and corrupting the police system. -Jack Nicholson-
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Permanently bored

Tried 2 x 7.5 today, still not 'feeling' anything, though I did spend 2 hours fixing a broken lighter when I didn't need to or want to, without feeling bored, which is unusual for me. Still no side-effects to report.

I'm going to give it a break for a couple of days (not including tomorrow, got a therapist appointment and I want to see if the therapist notices any difference) so I can save up a few pills and give a few 10 mg doses a go to see what I can look forward to when I get my next script.
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Permanently bored

I didn't have to do anything today so I tried 15 mg. Definitely felt clear-headed and at ease, but not much else. It's not suddenly making me feel normal though, just a bit less messed up than usual.
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Permanently bored

I still honestly can't tell whether it's doing anything at 3*5 or not. I don't actually feel it kick in, I only feel it wear off at that dose. Strangely it's having more antidepressant effects than ADHD effects at that dose. I can feel some relief from 10 and 15 mg, but I can't take that 3 times a day with 5s or I'll be out of pills in no time.
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 02:18 PM
SAS Member

Hey Duke.

I think we are kind of similar. I started on Adderall XR and didn't feel anything on 40mg XR. Last week, I was switched to Concerta 36 mg. Tomorrow I try 72 mg, then I try 108mg. I haven't felt anything either on Adderall or Concerta, other than rapid heart rate, which really kind of has me down. I guess it's because I expected a lot, I dunno.
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Permanently bored

Nah I definitely feel 'something' when I take 10-15 mg. The effects are kinda in the right direction, it's just that they're not strong enough.
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 02:38 PM
SAS Member

Oh sorry, I must have missed where you wrote that.

Most people say you can feel it start working, which I haven't noticed thus far. I also don't notice any come down effect either.
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Permanently bored

If anyone actually bothers reading this crap:

Bumped the dose up to 10*3 and went out Friday and Saturday. Anxiety was around 4/10 (10 being my normal self e.g. not even talking to my friends, boring to be around), depression 0/10 and ADHD 3-4/10 combined with a few pints.

The MPH gave me more motivation to talk (speaking my mind instead of holding it all in), while the tiny amount of alcohol made me less self-conscious about it.
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
Permanently bored

More bumpage. Surprisingly, my sensitivity to this stuff is going up! No sign of tolerance yet. 10 mg has gone from doing not all that much to almost completely 'curing' me. Asked my psych about the possibility of an NMDA antagonist though, complete with studies (she probably has probably already heard about it though, being a neuropsychiatrist).

If I start having problems with tolerance and don't score a memantine script, I'll have to stock up on MXE or DXM (don't want to touch ket unless it's at least veterinary-grade so the purity doesn't suck, and I'd of course be worried about bladder damage taking it long-term even on low-dose). I don't get raised eyebrows asking for boxes upon boxes of codeine at my pharmacy though, so I should be able to get lots of DXM there too.

I've also started seeing the first, and hopefully only side-effect. If I try to smoke, my gag reflex goes mad. I've never even experienced a gag reflex before in my life until now. I could even get my hand down into my oesophagus at one point without feeling anything, but now, whenever I exhale any smoke, my throat closes up and my oesophagus starts convulsing like crazy.

I thought it might have just been the cigarettes, seeing as nicotine is an emetic, but I tried smoking a pure joint and some pipe hits, and it still happens. It's almost like the feeling you get when you've been smoking too much weed and you don't feel like you can physically handle more smoke, except with added gagging.

I know they use D2 antagonists as anti-emetics, but I don't think it's the dopamine because I've never had this happen on the few occasions I've tried recreational doses of amphetamine. I thought it was more 5-HT3 agonism that was responsible for emesis, and that stimulants would decrease activity there? I don't actually feel nauseous either and I don't feel any vomit rising when I gag, so I really don't know what to think.

It's annoying though, because this stuff really makes me crave tobacco like nothing else. At home I've gone from smoking 2-3 a day to 10-15, and when I went out at the weekend I easily had 30 or 40 in one night compared to the 10 I normally go through.

On the plus side, tobacco seriously enhances the effect of the MPH, and I feel a headrush from each cigarette as if I'd never smoked before.

I'm starting to see the importance of psychological treatment for ADHD though, because even though my brain feels good, I just don't know what to do with myself. I've been untreated for so long and I'm so used to my brain being 'broken', I don't even know how to function normally or structure/organise anything. All the psychological help in the world would be useless without the pills, though.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page