Just started Lexapro - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2020, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Just started Lexapro

So I finally mustered up the courage to go to the doctor and tell them about my social anxiety. I was prescribed 10mg of Lexapro a day. I'm on Day 3 of taking it now. So far, I've had nausea, feeling sleepy at around 10pm even though I'm naturally a night owl, but then have trouble sleeping at night- waking up at like 3am and not being able to fall asleep again. I had a really bad headache on Day 2. I also found it really hard to orgasm today, took me about 30 minutes of trying (I'm male). I haven't noticed any effect on my social anxiety yet but I guess I haven't left the house in the past 3 days either We'll see how I am tomorrow when I finally need to buy some groceries and run some errands!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2020, 04:58 PM
Permanently Banned

Glad you are trying to help yourself in this world. Good luck
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 04:02 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Thank you!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 04:15 AM
England

Personally I dont agree with medications i think they're just a tool to make money from u, unless u really need them lik4 life or death situation
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 04:51 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

To be honest, I used to think the same. But I've read some good things about Lexapro online so I'm willing to try it for a few months. I figure if it improves my social anxiety by even 20%, then it's worth taking.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 07:14 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganmo View Post
So I finally mustered up the courage to go to the doctor and tell them about my social anxiety. I was prescribed 10mg of Lexapro a day. I'm on Day 3 of taking it now. So far, I've had nausea, feeling sleepy at around 10pm even though I'm naturally a night owl, but then have trouble sleeping at night- waking up at like 3am and not being able to fall asleep again. I had a really bad headache on Day 2. I also found it really hard to orgasm today, took me about 30 minutes of trying (I'm male). I haven't noticed any effect on my social anxiety yet but I guess I haven't left the house in the past 3 days either We'll see how I am tomorrow when I finally need to buy some groceries and run some errands!
Give it 3-4 weeks and the side effects should be lessened by then. From my personal experience having been on SSRI's in the past, I'll feel tired by the nighttime as well. I used to like staying up until 2-3:00am. I just felt naturally more productive during that time. Best of luck.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben12 View Post
Give it 3-4 weeks and the side effects should be lessened by then. From my personal experience having been on SSRI's in the past, I'll feel tired by the nighttime as well. I used to like staying up until 2-3:00am. I just felt naturally more productive during that time. Best of luck.
Thank you. Yeah, it's crazy- I normally stay up til 4am, I'm very productive at nighttime too. But this week, I've been going to bed early, like last night 12:30am. This is so unusual for me but I like it as a side effect!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 08:52 AM
S F C 0 1

Language: English
My Mood: Amused
Quote:
Originally Posted by James10145 View Post
Personally I dont agree with medications i think they're just a tool to make money from u, unless u really need them lik4 life or death situation

Personally, I think you talk ****e

Tell 'em who the **** I am

SFC
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 10:00 AM
England

Last edited by James10145; 07-17-2020 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Mistake
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 10:06 AM
S F C 0 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by James10145 View Post
Looking at your profile I sense a ******

does it begin with w and end in r ?

looking at your profile, well I havent, cos I sense a boring ****** *** ***** *** ********er

Anyway, Hi I'm David, why dont you believe in medication ?

SFC
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2020, 09:14 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bored
Quote:
Originally Posted by D'avjo View Post
does it begin with w and end in r ?

looking at your profile, well I havent, cos I sense a boring ****** *** ***** *** ********er

Anyway, Hi I'm David, why dont you believe in medication ?

You've p***ed him off mate, he doesn't want to talk any more lol
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2020, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

OP here, so this is day 6 of me taking 10mg of Lexapro. I haven't felt nauseous in days and haven't had a headache either. The only side effects I currently have is sleepiness at around 9pm and then some insomnia. One side effect I have pretty bad is (and sorry for the TMI, don't read any further if you don't want to be disgusted...) but I am finding it so difficult to orgasm. Then when I finally do orgasm after ages, my ejaculate is watery and yellowish in colour.

I'm still waiting to feel any effects on my social anxiety. I have been in the house for most of the week so I haven't had a chance to test myself out. But the doctor told me that it can take a few weeks for any effects to happen. I hope I can experience them as I want to get better.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2020, 05:57 PM
S F C 0 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtd1974 View Post
You've p***ed him off mate, he doesn't want to talk any more lol

I was polite too, i did say "personally" which gives me the green light to be offensive I believe

SFC
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 05:42 AM
Permanently Banned

Hey!

It was a good decision to start trying to treat your sa. You may improve a lot but it usually takes a lot of time and effort.

Regarding medication, studies have shown they do something (for some people), so I guess there is not debate there. However, you may have to try different drugs to find one that helps, and even if you find one, the effect is usually subttle. You'll not wake up one day and feel outgoing. On the other hand, you may notice that your anxiety becomes a bit lower than usual in some social situations. Then you have to size the opportunity to initiate a positive cycle by doing more exposure. It is also recommended not to count on the med alone. You may want to combine drugs with cbt (it's supposed to to be the most efficient therapy for sa).

Then there are a lot of stuff you can do one the side. They are certainly not first line treatments and probably wouldn't help on their own, but they can be effective as extras: meditation (studies have shown it helps against anxiety and depression), yoga or even running (good for the mood) and so on.

A very good way to do exposure is to enroll in an acting or singing course. It sounds very intimidating at first but some of them are specially adressed to shy people. I think this option can only be considered if your sad is not severe, but it can really speed up your progress.

The idea is really to be proactive and to combine different kind of treatments/activities. It will maximize your chance to find something that really help you.

Don't expect too much from medication. It's a current habit here. Some people greatly benefit from them, but, again, in average the effect is moderate. Lexapro is often the first SSRI prescribed by doctors since its side effects are often mild. A few remarks:

- You may have to wait up to 6-8 weeks to notice anything.
- It may not work, either because the dose need to be increased or because the med is not the right one ( lexapro was almost useless for me).
- most side effects may subside, but the libido stuff is current with SSRIs and unluckily, it tends to last. Some people have it more than others. It can obviously be a deal breaker.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 05:46 AM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganmo View Post
So I finally mustered up the courage to go to the doctor and tell them about my social anxiety. I was prescribed 10mg of Lexapro a day. I'm on Day 3 of taking it now. So far, I've had nausea, feeling sleepy at around 10pm even though I'm naturally a night owl, but then have trouble sleeping at night- waking up at like 3am and not being able to fall asleep again. I had a really bad headache on Day 2. I also found it really hard to orgasm today, took me about 30 minutes of trying (I'm male). I haven't noticed any effect on my social anxiety yet but I guess I haven't left the house in the past 3 days either [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/SAS_2015/smilies/tango_face_grin.png[/IMG] We'll see how I am tomorrow when I finally need to buy some groceries and run some errands!
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWantMoreLife View Post
Hey!

It was a good decision to start trying to treat your sa. You may improve a lot but it usually takes a lot of time and effort.

Regarding medication, studies have shown they do something (for some people), so I guess there is not debate there. However, you may have to try different drugs to find one that helps, and even if you find one, the effect is usually subttle. You'll not wake up one day and feel outgoing. On the other hand, you may notice that your anxiety becomes a bit lower than usual in some social situations. Then you have to size the opportunity to initiate a positive cycle by doing more exposure. It is also recommended not to count on the med alone. You may want to combine drugs with cbt (it's supposed to to be the most efficient therapy for sa).

Then there are a lot of stuff you can do one the side. They are certainly not first line treatments and probably wouldn't help on their own, but they can be effective as extras: meditation (studies have shown it helps against anxiety and depression), yoga or even running (good for the mood) and so on.

A very good way to do exposure is to enroll in an acting or singing course. It sounds very intimidating at first but some of them are specially adressed to shy people. I think this option can only be considered if your sad is not severe, but it can really speed up your progress.

The idea is really to be proactive and to combine different kind of treatments/activities. It will maximize your chance to find something that really help you.

Don't expect too much from medication. It's a current habit here. Some people greatly benefit from them, but, again, in average the effect is moderate. Lexapro is often the first SSRI prescribed by doctors since its side effects are often mild. A few remarks:

- You may have to wait up to 6-8 weeks to notice anything.
- It may not work, either because the dose need to be increased or because the med is not the right one ( lexapro was almost useless for me).
- most side effects may subside, but the libido stuff is current with SSRIs and unluckily, it tends to last. Some people have it more than others. It can obviously be a deal breaker.
Oups I just notice your are not new here. I guess I said a lot of stuff you already know.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-15-2020, 06:25 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben12 View Post

Ditto!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page