I No Longer Have Social Anxiety (Nardil) - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #21 of 129 (permalink) Old 08-30-2008, 11:58 PM

Re: I No Longer Have Social Anxiety (Nardil)

question for "colonelpoop": did you yourself get the initial 1 month euphoria "superman on crack" feeling lol, if you did how did u handle the comedown, did you question yourself if the medication had stopped working?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 129 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 12:04 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bitchy

How much does it cost?

Oh, and welcome back.
post #23 of 129 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
question for "colonelpoop": did you yourself get the initial 1 month euphoria "superman on crack" feeling lol, if you did how did u handle the comedown, did you question yourself if the medication had stopped working?
haha

well, my nardil just officially kicked in last week or so and its effectiveness continues to increase with each new day. thankfully I do not feel like superman on crack yet, but who knows how potent things will get say 2 weeks from now.

because I am taking this med so slowly and gradually, I think my body is adjusting to it very nice and accordingly. i don't think I will get cracked out, but only time can tell

post #24 of 129 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyvr6
How much does it cost?

Oh, and welcome back.
With my insurance plan, I'm paying $30 for a months supply.
post #25 of 129 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

I'm gonna log out for the night.

I'll be back on tomorrow night and check up on this thread.

-Cheers everyone
post #26 of 129 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 03:12 AM
Dude

Does nardil make you feel more connected and intimate to people too? I have great conversations yet not feel connected. And If you didn't have SA would you be like this or does Nardil do even more?

"An idle mind is the devil's workshop."
post #27 of 129 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 04:11 AM

Hey Colonelpoop,

I'm sorry to hear that you will be posting less as I have always found your comments very insightful, (and funny ) and your posts on Nardil were what recently made me decide to ask to be prescribed Nardil; I have been on it 18 days thus far and already have seen dramatic improvements in mood and Social anxiety.

I have been out of work since December 2007 because my social anxiety had become so bad and I ended up drinking every day at work to treat it. My SA had become so bad since leaving work that I barely left my house, became depressed, stopped talking to most people and the idea of a new job was inconceivable. However since taking Nardil, even for this relatively short amount of time, I have felt so much better that I have decided to go back to work and have an interview next Thursday for an Advertising Sales position (I used to to do media sales). I am still very nervous about this interview but the fact that I am prepared to do it anyway and confident about working without drinking shows just how much this has turned my life around.

The reason I am telling you this is because, if I hadn't read your stories of success with Nardil few weeks ago, I wouldn't have read into this drug and wouldn't have known to get prescribed it. So for the large part, I have you to thank for this.

Anyway I definitely have a few questions to ask you about your experience with Nardil so here goes:

1) How long have you been taking Nardil altogether?

2) When did you first notice a dramatic improvement in SA?

3) How long until you were fully confident in making eye contact with people while talking ie: when you could talk to people without eyes watering etc. (I used to get that)

4) I started at 60mg even though my doctor said 45mg (assuming that she would carry on with 60mg) but now she is saying that here in the UK she is not allowed to prescribe 60mg unless I am seeing a psychiatrist. If I do have to go down to 45mg for the time being, will I still feel the positive effects and continue to improve as you have?

5) Are you doing anything like CBT or therapy for SA? And are there any techniques you use in daily life that help with SA and help the progress with taking Nardil?

Thats all for now, I'm sure I have more questions but can't think at the moment, I look forward to hearing your replies.

Thanks again.
post #28 of 129 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverred
Does nardil make you feel more connected and intimate to people too? I have great conversations yet not feel connected. And If you didn't have SA would you be like this or does Nardil do even more?
Nardil definitely makes me feel connected to people, I just absolutely love being around others and talking while on this med. In fact, I actually seek out conversation and interaction with people.

If I didn't have SA, I think I would be almost identical to the person I am now.
post #29 of 129 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Anyway I definitely have a few questions to ask you about your experience with Nardil so here goes:

3) How long until you were fully confident in making eye contact with people while talking ie: when you could talk to people without eyes watering etc. (I used to get that)

4) I started at 60mg even though my doctor said 45mg (assuming that she would carry on with 60mg) but now she is saying that here in the UK she is not allowed to prescribe 60mg unless I am seeing a psychiatrist. If I do have to go down to 45mg for the time being, will I still feel the positive effects and continue to improve as you have?

5) Are you doing anything like CBT or therapy for SA? And are there any techniques you use in daily life that help with SA and help the progress with taking Nardil?

Thats all for now, I'm sure I have more questions but can't think at the moment, I look forward to hearing your replies.

Thanks again.
That's awesome that I got you hooked on the Nardil Dazzer.

Our frustration forum is filled to the brim with hopeless individuals who think their lives have no future in store for them, our medication forum has nothing but post after post of people complaining about their medications. How many times can you honestly keep consoling people and telling them that everything is going to be ok? How many times have you read "I'm so sorry to hear that" on here.

It just got to a point that whenever I saw a sad, advice seeking post, that I would simply reply with the word Nardil. Not because I'm inconsiderate and unsympathetic, but because fluffy rainbow feel good replies do not cure this disorder. No matter how many times you tell someone that "everything is going to get better", it will not change a single thing.

We have so many people on this board offering advice and counseling others who ironically suffer from the same disorder that they are trying to cure in others. The truth of the matter is that we all have Social Anxiety because we don't know how to cure it.

As of this moment, medication such as Nardil or Parnate seem to be our only allies in this struggle. I try to be as sensible and realistic in my replies as much as possible. I want to see everyone on this board overcome their Social Anxiety one day because I believe everyone is entitled to at least being happy and feeling wanted. Taking a more active and realistic approach is the best way to achieve this in my opinion.

But on to your questions! Enough of my ranting...

I think about 3 months, maybe 4? I've only been on 60mg the past month though.

Last week for sure. And I'm still continuing to improve with each new day.

I've actually been able to make eye contact with people for the past 2 years, but their was a time when I couldn't. That is not to say though that a few months ago I made great eye contact with people. Often when looking at people, it could just become too overbearing and uncomfortable for me and I would have to look away. But, I could manage to look people in the eye. While maybe I didn't do it all that well, I could still do it.

I'm sorry to say, but 45mg will most likely not cut it. If you are being forced to go down to 45mg, you need to find a way to address this issue as quickly as possible.

I think CBT is a sham personally. It doesn't address or solve the real underlying issues that lay at the cause of an individuals anxiety, it's simply a coping technique. Much like how it is reccomended people breathe into a paper bag if they experience an anxiety attack. I would very much compare CBT to breathing into a paper bag.

Paper bags don't cost nearly as much money though : )

As a Buddhist, I find that my practice and beliefs greatly add to the quality of my life. I don't look at Nardil as a permanent fix to my anxiety, but more so a temporary one. I'm a young man (20's) and I love girls, being social, having a good time, and all the other trappings that come with being a young man. I don't want to spend these years of my life suffering. I want to enjoy them and live them to their fullest.

In my spare time, I do read a lot of Buddhist, spiritual, and philosophical type literature. One day I hope to get and understand what this life is all about and be able to stop taking my medication. I've decided to not suffer and be miserable in my search for truth though, instead I've decided to do it doped up and happy on my Nardil.

-Cheers

post #30 of 129 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 07:11 PM
SAS Member

I gotta ask for this next time I see my psychiatrist. Did you have to change your diet?

Currently on: Depakine, Sediel, Klonopin, Prozac, Risperdal, Vitamin D, Calcium

Tried(Med.): Xanax, Valium, Ativan, Zoloft, Inderal, Tenormin, Paxil, Celexa, Lexapro, Adderall, Effexor, Emsam, Nardil, Seroquel, Zyprexa, Remeron, Lamictal, Abilify, Pristiq

Tried(Sup.): Vitamin B12, Magnesium, Kava Kava, Rhodiola Rosea, Omega-3

Tried(Therapy): CBT
post #31 of 129 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by akstylish
I gotta ask for this next time I see my psychiatrist. Did you have to change your diet?
Some, but not much.

I no longer eat nuts, soy, certain cheeses, and sausage/pepperoni.

That's honestly about it. Instead of being risky about things though, I just stick to foods that I know are 100% safe and are healthy. I eat a lot of turkey, salad, vegetables, fruit, and milk based yogurt.

It's important to know that Nardil will slow down your metabolism, if you're one of those people who can eat a 3/4 pound hamburger, large fry, large soda, and a side of mcnuggets without gaining a pound, don't expect the same to happen on Nardil. You shouldn't be eating that sh*t in the first place though.

As long as you eat healthy and exercise you shouldn't gain any weight. I did gain 10 pounds the first month on the drug when my diet consisted of a lot of Taco Bell and soda, but as soon as I cut that out and began running 1 hour every day, my weight quickly returned to normal.
post #32 of 129 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 07:30 PM
Permanently Banned

Nardil is a monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitor used to treat depression as well as anxiety or phobias mixed with depression. MAO is an enzyme responsible for breaking down certain neurotransmitters (chemical messengers) in the brain. By inhibiting MAO, Nardil helps restore more normal mood states. Unfortunately, MAO inhibitors such as Nardil also block MAO activity throughout the body, an action that can have serious, even fatal, side effects—especially if MAO inhibitors are combined with other foods or drugs containing a substance called tyramine.
post #33 of 129 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 08:01 PM
SAS Member

It sounds like you made an incredible change. That's amazing man!

How come you have to take other medication before you can be prescribed this one?
post #34 of 129 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 08:33 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharao
It sounds like you made an incredible change. That's amazing man!

How come you have to take other medication before you can be prescribed this one?
My understanding (from what I've read on here) is that most doctors are not familiar with MAOIs. It's easier for them to give you an ostensibly "safer" SSRI. The ones that are familiar with them have a concern about a patient having an extremely adverse reaction (ie. deviating from the food guidelines).
post #35 of 129 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 08:47 PM
SAS Member

thanx for letting me know.....

does nardil give you more energy? i find having anxiety to be really draining so im wondering if it makes you feel more energetic?
post #36 of 129 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 08:49 PM

does anyone have experience with aderall xr or a drug of its class for SAD/depression
post #37 of 129 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 08:50 PM

has anyone been on the "new nardil" here for atleast a year or 2?
post #38 of 129 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 09:50 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anxietyisstupid
Unfortunately, MAO inhibitors such as Nardil also block MAO activity throughout the body, an action that can have serious, even fatal, side effects—especially if MAO inhibitors are combined with other foods or drugs containing a substance called tyramine.
Yes. That's why I asked him if he changed the diet.

Currently on: Depakine, Sediel, Klonopin, Prozac, Risperdal, Vitamin D, Calcium

Tried(Med.): Xanax, Valium, Ativan, Zoloft, Inderal, Tenormin, Paxil, Celexa, Lexapro, Adderall, Effexor, Emsam, Nardil, Seroquel, Zyprexa, Remeron, Lamictal, Abilify, Pristiq

Tried(Sup.): Vitamin B12, Magnesium, Kava Kava, Rhodiola Rosea, Omega-3

Tried(Therapy): CBT
post #39 of 129 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
does nardil give you more energy? i find having anxiety to be really draining so im wondering if it makes you feel more energetic?
Yes, very much so.

Quote:
does anyone have experience with aderall xr or a drug of its class for SAD/depression
Our user noca has been taking adderall for depression. I personally don't reccomend adderall long term though as it causes brain damage.

Quote:
has anyone been on the "new nardil" here for atleast a year or 2?
We've had a few people on this board throughout the years who have been on the new nardil for a year or more, but I can only remember one posters name.

This guy:

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=73168&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
post #40 of 129 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 01:17 AM
SAS Member

According to this site you cant drink beer? That's terrible LoL

http://www.healthsquare.com/newrx/nar1284.htm

Also I like this quote from that site in the what type of foods to avoid section....Avoid ->> "Spoiled or improperly stored meat, fish, or dairy products"

I'm so glad I'm not on Nardil now so I can enjoy my spoiled meat, fish and dairy products hahaha.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page