How to convince doc for these meds... - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

How to convince doc for these meds...

Ok, im currently on
40mg celexa
1mg Alprazolam ER once daily(morning)
.5 Alprazolam up to two times daily prn
200mg Provigil

Ok, see every doc I see has a problem giving me a stimulant. They say it will make my anxiety worse. BUT, that isn't the case.

Right now I take the 200mg Provigil, and I guess that's a little help for energy throughout the day. My psy wouldn't prescribe it due to insurance reasons. He said since it's real expensive, and only has off label use for depression anxiety... That insurance would deny it. Called family doc, Rx'd me it over the phone.

I really want something like ritalin or adderall though. See I am a college student and, well, lets just say I have tried adderall 20mg and 30mg.

They work excellent. They give me the energy to to stuff, make me happy, and no anxiety.

I know if I go in and ask for it he will say anxiety and a stimulant is bad news, which it usually is. But, it helps fill that emptyness that SSRI's seem to give me. Celexa works well for my depression, but i still feel meh.

And, last time the doc was also telling me that basically the only way to get the stimulant would be get off of alprazolam. Well, i think that is totally stupid. The alprazolam keeps my anxious thoughts at bay, usually with just the 1mg alprazolam ER pill in the morning. I have the .5mg's for any panic scenerios and stuff like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 05:39 PM

re: How to convince doc for these meds...

You know what else works as a great stimulant? Cocaine and any other amphetamine. I'm not serious, but seriously, though, Adderall is obviously going to make you feel euphoric and care-free, but this is the main reason it's one of the more controlled ADHD medications (CII). Are you diagnosed with ADHD? It seems like you want both the sedation of the Xanax, while concurrently having possession of a med with stimulant-like properties such as Adderall, which can easily be misinterpreted as drug-seeking behavior. To answer your question as to getting an rx for Adderall AND Xanax? You would need to have debilitating ADHD and bad anxiety, or the doc might simply rx the stimulant as a supplemental anti-depressant (although quite rare). Also, I doubt a doctor would start you with Adderall right away. He would most likely start you out with Concerta, Strattera, or other methylphenidate meds such as Ritalin. I would not expect a straight out d-amphetamine/l-amphetamine kind of med like Adderall.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 05:56 PM
Spectacular Member

I find it funny when a doctor or psych refuses to prescribe me meds. I simply just go to the next one until i get what i want.

"It's better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one than to have an opportunity and not be prepared." -- Whitney Young Jr.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 02:11 PM

I wonder if the celexa is working or not?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 02:50 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noca
I find it funny when a doctor or psych refuses to prescribe me meds. I simply just go to the next one until i get what i want.
I think they have to function off the principle that the benefits of a prescribed medication would outweigh the consequences. If you've been told that you do not need a certain medication ( ::cough::Ritalin, or whichever psychostimulant you're after these days ::cough:: ) by more than one doctor, then you're probably not going to get what you're looking for unless you come across an uninformed doctor that'll prescribe anything because they're stupid (Send him/her my way if you come across one ) or a dope doctor that'll prescribe anything because they're corrupt.

Seriously, Keith. You're already on 12 prescription medications with alot of them being pretty serious stuff. I realize that they all have a purpose - otherwise you wouldn't be on them - but there's going to come a point where your doctors are simply going to say No when you ask for them to add on another prescription, and doctor shopping as you described it is basically the same thing as drug seeking. Don't get me wrong. I'm not scowling at you for your search for medication, but if you want more CII's just so you can say you have them, then you should probably slow down and try to stabilize yourself mentally and physically. More psychotropic medication could throw your CNS even more out of wack, which could consequently have negative effects on whatever balance/control you've found with regard to your pain, digestive problems, etc.

I know that the fact everything you get, from doctor visits to surgeries to prescriptions, is free might make it seem okay to get as many prescriptions as possible, but like I said, now that you're in the double-digits when it comes to the number of rx's you've got, maybe you should reassess things before endlessly seeking more prescriptions.

:: gets off soap box ::

Rx:
Wellbutrin SR 300mg, Eskalith CR 900mg, Luvox 100mg

Things I have tried:
Lexapro, Zoloft, Celexa, Prozac, Paxil, Effexor XR, Remeron, Wellbutrin SR, Eskalith CR, Topamax, Valium, Xanax, Ativan, Ambien, Restoril, Desyrel, Ritalin, Adderall, Dexedrine, Inderal, Lopressor, Thorazine, Lamictal, Abilify, Depakote, Geodon, Seroquel, doxepin, chloral hydrate
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

See, I really don't know if my celexa is working or not. I really can't tell these things because they happen so gradually, I really don't know.

I understand the adderall consequences, I did a little forum reading and I know it's a easy way out...kinda...and It might kick me in the butt in a few months though.

Don't really know what to do at this point. I have two doctors I see for meds but I quit seeing one recently. One basically prescribes lots of things at once and has me heavly sedated. I was on 300mg Wellbutrin XL, Cymbalta 60mg, Clonazepam 1mg 4 times daily, Ambien CR 12.5mg and Xanax .5 prn. I didn't like this. I don't want to say this in a bad way but, I don't think I like the benzo's as much as most people. For me, I don't think this is the right approach for my anxiety/depression.
Instead of making me, a person with terrible social anxiety, take something that is going to make me a little slower, less memory... This to me seems like a very passive approach. Why not hit the social anxiety head on with something like a stimulant so that I actually get the motivation to go outside at least, Heck even go to class. I get the mood elevation, better memory... This to me seems like an active approach.

The other doctor I went to, gave me a huge speech on benzo's and being on them at 21, and at 2-4 mg a day (at the time)...He basically said dude, where is this going to go? I've been on them for like 2 or 3 years... and of course went up in dose over time, which happens. I switched benzos(terrible) and went back to xanax. After that, he says... So i'm going to give you xanax xr 1mg take up to 3 daily, and xanax .5 take one to go to bed. OK DOCS!!! ADVICE: Don't give a huge lecture to someone who has depression and anxiety about taking a medicine, and then prescribe it. I went home and and my mind was like going 1000 miles an hour...So i had bad anxiety about taking the medicine because apparently its bad for X amount of reasons...But I needed the xanax for the anxiety... I had anxiety about taking xanax. This went on for quite some time, and now im here taking about 1mg Xanax XR daily, with up to .5 xanax prn, usually twice a day or less.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 04:03 AM Thread Starter

Doing some late night(actually early morning) Advance Microbiology studying for my exam later on today.

The doc put me on the Xanax XR because he said it will help decrease the chance of addiction. He spoke of the stereotype thingy of like taking your little pill, or taking your chill pill.I don't know if you understand that but i can't word it better. I guess it would be comparable to smoking and developing habits or smoking on the phone or in the car...etc...

He then spoke of the sine wave in drug peaks when taking regular xanax, which I knew about.

So, his approach is instead of taking xanax prn (some days I don't actually take any, other days I take the full amount) to take at least the 1mg xanax Xr in the morning and it will last through the entire day.

And it wasn't a drug rep speech if you know what I mean. I actually got alprazolam ER, generic Xanax XR.

This new doc I have seen twice now actually did have a really good point about something I haven't really thought of. When I went to see him I suggested trying lexapro...And we went over some other meds I have taken, Wellbutrin XL, Cymbalta, Ambien CR. He straight out said lexapro in his mind is for $$$patents$$$. He said, you are a college student and next year I will be off my parents health insurance and I am unaware of the situation after that. He basically said try celexa, it's 4 dollars compared to over 100. He is afraid of me being on high price prescriptions and in a bad event, getting cut off insurance.
He talked what he called the mirror images of the active ingredient. I was like yeah, I know, and basically didn't have him waste my time explaining something I know as much as he does about, if not more.
<He is preaching to a college student going for Biology major and Chemistry minor. I've taken general chem, organic chem for 2 semesters, Quantative analysis, skipped entry level bio classes at college due to high school credit... have taken genetics, cell biology, ecology, microbiology, advanced micro(after today) and protein purification and research credits.

HE knows this, at least I told him my major and minor and classes taken. But he still has to talk about this stuff he should know.

sorry for ranting
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 03:31 AM

... In a way I think the doctor might be right. You dont need a drug for everything in life - my friend does this. I have just been given a benzo but im still going to face challenges thrown at me from things, and Im just hoping to function better by knowing I have it on standby.

Sometimes I lack motivation, its normal. Doesnt mean I wanna pump up on some more medications. Dont lose yourself! And dont list your college courses either, I also have a Biology degree. It doesnt make you an expert on prescription combinations.

After you get Ritalin, you'll probably want something else to treat something else. You sound like a high abuse-risk patient and I think you should be on the minimum medications possible.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Did you know that the DEA sends an annual report to your doctor, documenting all the controlled meds you've filled within the past year?

I think it goes to whoever you currently list as your primary care doc or pdoc, but am unsure. You may be able to get around this if you pay out of pocket without insurance. I can't remember the details, but do know that reports can and do get sent.

Anyway, "doctor shopping" doesn't exactly go unnoticed.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 12:12 PM
Spectacular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jealibeanz
Quote:
Did you know that the DEA sends an annual report to your doctor, documenting all the controlled meds you've filled within the past year?

I think it goes to whoever you currently list as your primary care doc or pdoc, but am unsure. You may be able to get around this if you pay out of pocket without insurance. I can't remember the details, but do know that reports can and do get sent.

actually the DEA doesnt. Im in Canada.

"It's better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one than to have an opportunity and not be prepared." -- Whitney Young Jr.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 01:24 PM
Nae
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jealibeanz
Quote:

Is it doctor shopping when a patient doesn't agree with the doctors opinion? Should the DEA have such a say in the treatment of a patient? Should the government hold such power over a patients access to medication (and by proxy, the doctor)?

I have stopped seeing multiple psychiatrists because I disagreed with them on my treatment. I am lucky in a way to live in a populated area which hosts many doctors, though.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 01:47 PM
Spectacular Member

same here, ive gone through 3 psychiatrists so far. I dont really doctor shop as I have multiple doctors to begin with such as my GP, pain doc, ortho, and pdoc.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 04:17 PM
SAS Member

Getting a second opinion (or third, or forth, etc.) is not only acceptable in the medical community - it's actually suggested. After all, not all doctors are the same. But if you literally go from one MD to the next, asking for the same controlled medication, then that's where it turns from a second opinion into doctor shopping/drug seeking.

Rx:
Wellbutrin SR 300mg, Eskalith CR 900mg, Luvox 100mg

Things I have tried:
Lexapro, Zoloft, Celexa, Prozac, Paxil, Effexor XR, Remeron, Wellbutrin SR, Eskalith CR, Topamax, Valium, Xanax, Ativan, Ambien, Restoril, Desyrel, Ritalin, Adderall, Dexedrine, Inderal, Lopressor, Thorazine, Lamictal, Abilify, Depakote, Geodon, Seroquel, doxepin, chloral hydrate

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page