How long does Nardil take to kick in? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

How long does Nardil take to kick in?

For all users or previous users of nardil, please tell me how long it took for Nardil to fully kick in. I've been taking Nardil for about 4 weeks now, and I think I can feel it, but Im not 100% sure. Anyways, some help would be much appreciated . Thanks.

Life is like a garden. Tend to it and you will reap the rewards. Let it be and it will rot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 02:29 AM

With Parnate, (my particular brand here is Jatrosam), I noticed it right away, but also only for a couple of hours or so. For work days I have worked my dose up to about 50-60mg.s in order to stay awake in the afternoon and evening. I take one early in the morning, say 6.00a.m. with my coffee, then again at about 11:00a.m., 1:00p.m. 2:00p.m., 4:00p.m. and if I have something to do in the evening last one around 6:30p.m. Any after that and I can't sleep that night. For days off I am still experimenting. One in the morning to get me on my way so far this morning, we shall see, I would like to be able to do the one every day or two when energy is not an issue and then more when I work all day and want to go somewhere besides to bed when I get home! How much do you take now, streetsk8er794?
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 07:16 AM

It took a full six weeks for me to notice anything. I came really close to giving up on it.

During the six weeks I was taking it before it kicked in, I pretty much felt nothing. I also found myself asking questions like you are - "was that the Nardil? Has it started working... ???" If you're asking questions like that, then I think it's safe to assume that it's not working yet. When the real deal finally rolls around, you won't need to wonder any longer. The difference is huge.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 01:10 PM
You can do this!

My Mood: Cheerful
Usually 3-4 weeks for all MAOIs. But there is always some variability, plus who knows. It may be a gradual onset of action instead of sudden. I read about a mechanism of action for MAOIs being the eventual regulation of some neurotransmitter receptors, which can take 2 weeks, once MAO is inhibited.

You might need a higher dose, too. How much are you taking right now? IMO if you didn't respond at the 45 mg at 4 weeks, try 60 for 2 weeks.

Medication-related posts are for brainstorming purposes only. Talk to your doctor.

My meds: Parnate, Lamictal, Wellbutrin, trazodone
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I started at 60 mg for 2 weeks, then bumped it up to 75 mg, which is what Im taking now. Ive been taking it for about 4 1/2 weeks now, and I thought it worked for a while actually because I made some new friends and started calling girls to hang out with. I even started flirting with some customers at my work. But, I started working out again at the exact same time I started working out, which always used to boost my confidence when I did it in the past. But it seems that some of my anxiety is coming back.

Life is like a garden. Tend to it and you will reap the rewards. Let it be and it will rot.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsk8er794
I started at 60 mg for 2 weeks, then bumped it up to 75 mg, which is what Im taking now. Ive been taking it for about 4 1/2 weeks now, and I thought it worked for a while actually because I made some new friends and started calling girls to hang out with. I even started flirting with some customers at my work. But, I started working out again at the exact same time I started working out, which always used to boost my confidence when I did it in the past. But it seems that some of my anxiety is coming back.

sounds like things aren't too bad i'm guessing. I've heard up to a month in a half from my psychiatrist so hang in. I just have to get one more drug out of the way and then I'm going to try nardil or another maoi. Hope it works for you, please keep us posted, I'm very interested.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

yes, but I still havev the anxiety in the back of my mind. Its just starting to kinda get covered up. I just wanna knoiw if Nardil can sometimes start to work, then fully kick in, instead of feeling it "all" at once.

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Come on guys PLEASE respond. Im about to give up on Nardil.

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 12:22 PM

Private message the user "spaceboy". He posted on one of the threads saying that with nardil it takes "six weeks to feel a golden batch of neurotransmitters." Definetely don't give up on it.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 02:50 PM

sorry, I didn't see spaceboy had already posted above.

Anyway, here's something I found- " Phenelzine appears efficacious, as well, provided it is given at adequate doses for a minimum of four weeks."

http://www.acnp.org/g4/GN401000046/Default.htm

So it's not just four weeks in general, you have to be on the adequate dose for atleast four weeks.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

ok guys, 2 days till the 6th week anniverary of taking nardil and I feel NOTHING! All I feel is a little numb of my feelings, and my depression is a little better, but nothing special. I have bad general anxiety from smoking too much pot, and my social anxiety has gone back to the same thing it was before the medication. Im at 60 mg right now btw. I was at 75, but I was sweating, and my heart was beating fast, and my chest kind of restricted. Dont know what it was, but I lowered my dose because of it. Any suggestions guys? I was so happy to finally get Nardil, and now its not working....

P.S. I smoke weed multiple times a day, and drink about every other day
(usually bottled beer, sometimes liquor)

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 08:15 PM

pot doesn't give you anxiety? I used to smoke a lot until it started making me anxious, and than I finally realized what it was doing to my mental health and stopped. I would think about how it's affecting you, it can exaceberate mental health problems. Alcohol can do the same, I would suggest drinking in moderation. Exercise can help improve your mood and help give you control over these problems. Heart beating fast and chest restricting are both symptoms of a hypertensive crisis. Have you been following the diet? Most alcohol beverages contain tyramine which could cause that.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

yes ive been following my diet completely except for the beer, which i heard is fine. i have a very fast metabolism, is it possible my dose isnt high enough?

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 08:29 PM
You can do this!

My Mood: Cheerful
Quote:
I was sweating, and my heart was beating fast, and my chest kind of restricted.
That's a very serious sign of possible hypertension or another cardiac problem. You should get it checked out. It's essential to be strict about potential toxicity regarding this medication.

What is your blood pressure?

Medication-related posts are for brainstorming purposes only. Talk to your doctor.

My meds: Parnate, Lamictal, Wellbutrin, trazodone
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

i dont know. i think it happens when i drink and smoke together, which i wont be doing anymore. but, should i raise my dose? is that why the nardil is not working?

post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 11:22 AM

Quote:
i dont know. i think it happens when i drink and smoke together, which i wont be doing anymore. but, should i raise my dose? is that why the nardil is not working?
What did your doctor say about raising your dose?
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Im actually not using a doctor, I bought it offline. But still, I researched the hell out of it before taking it.

post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 11:19 PM

Where did you get it online? Are you positive it's legit?
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 12:34 AM

nardil

nardil has only just kicked in for me and was taking it for 8 weeks so just hang in there, everyone responds differently to meds so keep at it bud.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 03:56 AM
nardil user since 2006

Re: nardil

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtic1973
nardil has only just kicked in for me and was taking it for 8 weeks so just hang in there, everyone responds differently to meds so keep at it bud.
how did you do your dosages??

"HOPE DIES LAST"

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page