How are anti depressants approved? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

How are anti depressants approved?

I had a question concerning anti depressants. I myself had a very bad experience with them, becoming suicidal, cutting etc (before the anti depressants I was NOT suicidal at all.) I just talked to my significant others mother and she just told me of a lady she worked with hung herself this past week...she was not a depressed person in general but recently she lost her mother and needed help coping with the lose. Before she got on anti depressants she was not suicidal, her family blames the anti depressants for their loss because she turned into a totally different person when she was on them. My question is how are these anti depressants approved if suicidal thought is a side effect?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 03:21 PM
SAS Member

Anti-depressants seem hit or miss for a lot of people. I've heard horror stories and I've heard wonder stories. In my personal experience with Zoloft it seemed to be working after about a month with no side effects besides weird dreams who knows though I never got it refilled and maybe the bad effects were to come. These drugs can have very horrible side effects physically and
emotionally and sometimes it seems like the pharmaceutical companies are just rushing them out for money instead of caring about the well being of people.
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 03:22 PM
SAS Member

You know, they pretty much admit they don't know how they work but, here take them anyways. It's kind of a scary.

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 03:28 PM
Here and Now

I guess because they work well for alot of people. They do contain a very large warning stating that they may cause suicidial thoughts. I myself have never experienced this though...im suicidal while off of my antidepressant (paxil) but not while on it
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 03:47 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Lurking
Like stuckinthesky said it's pretty much a hit or miss with people. I've heard about suicide stories with people on this medication on this documentary I watched once so I guess it's pretty intolerable for those people.

I am a believer the the Twelve-step Program.
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 04:11 PM
Here and Now

I do think that they are overly prescribed though. Doctors seem to be handing them out to people who don't really need them. Almost certainly has something to do with the pharmaceutical companies pushing them. Its a very big industry and theres lots of money to be made.
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 04:18 PM
SAS Member

Most (all?) anti-depressants have warnings in the leaflet and it is supposed to be discussed before you take them. One common reason for increased suicidal thoughts and self harm is because you have increased energy or capacity to feel, which not yet experiencing anti-depressant properties.

All drugs have potential side effects, some more than others. It is a matter of weighing up the possible risks and the possible benefits, and being informed.
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 04:44 PM
SAS Member

Increased risk of suicide is probably the ultimate reason why they shouldn't be prescribed to people who weren't suicidal before. It's a shame governments have let this become a money making business.
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 12:22 PM
baclofen enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelseyAlena View Post
I had a question concerning anti depressants. I myself had a very bad experience with them, becoming suicidal, cutting etc (before the anti depressants I was NOT suicidal at all.) I just talked to my significant others mother and she just told me of a lady she worked with hung herself this past week...she was not a depressed person in general but recently she lost her mother and needed help coping with the lose. Before she got on anti depressants she was not suicidal, her family blames the anti depressants for their loss because she turned into a totally different person when she was on them. My question is how are these anti depressants approved if suicidal thought is a side effect?
I don't think that this is an antidepressant related suicide.

Dx: depression, GAD, narcissistic personality disorder
Rx: Sereupin (paroxetine) 20mg, Remeron (mirtazapine) 15mg, Deniban (amisulpride) 50mg, EN (delorazapem) 1mg, Halcion (triazolam) 250mcg
Prn: Provigil (modafinil) 200mg, Lioresal (baclofen) 25mg, Samyr Sam-e 400mg tablets and ampoules, Rivotril (clonazepam) 2mg, lormetazepam 2mg
Bad Rx: fluvoxamine, asenapine, bupropion

post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 01:23 AM
SAS Member

Basically,
They get a bunch of rats, and give half an SSRI, and half nothing.
Then they shove it in a pool and see who performs better. And alot of other variations (Hanging them by the tail etc)
Thats phase 1.

After that they move onto humans. They give half placebo, and half an ssri.
And see what the difference is. You'll find that most of the time theres no more than a 15% max difference. And you'll also find that most of the people they test aren't true depressive subjects (IE people with post partum depression)

Which is pretty much why they are useless.
post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 02:19 AM
SAS Member

Haha so not only are they prescribing them to non-depressed people, they even test them on non-depressed people as well LOL

Perhaps they should rename them to anti-wedontknowwhatexactlyyet's
post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 02:37 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inshallah View Post
Haha so not only are they prescribing them to non-depressed people, they even test them on non-depressed people as well LOL

Perhaps they should rename them to anti-wedontknowwhatexactlyyet's
Lol someone had some good names on his sig
'I have tried sh*talopram, belowpar, diazesham, noshowmazine, lorazesham, Cynica, Ineffexor, crapranolol and futileoxetine without success'
post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinthesky View Post
Anti-depressants seem hit or miss for a lot of people. I've heard horror stories and I've heard wonder stories. In my personal experience with Zoloft it seemed to be working after about a month with no side effects besides weird dreams who knows though I never got it refilled and maybe the bad effects were to come. These drugs can have very horrible side effects physically and
emotionally and sometimes it seems like the pharmaceutical companies are just rushing them out for money instead of caring about the well being of people.

sad they don't care about the well being of people, they just want $$$
post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porterdog View Post
Lol someone had some good names on his sig
'I have tried sh*talopram, belowpar, diazesham, noshowmazine, lorazesham, Cynica, Ineffexor, crapranolol and futileoxetine without success'

haha i love that!
post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 07:47 PM
SAS Member

They weren't developed for social anxiety!
post #16 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 08:42 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inshallah View Post
They weren't developed for social anxiety!
Can you name any drug that was developed with SA in mind?

Benzos, MAOIs, and amphetamines would seem the three favorites based upon what I see posted to this forum -- and none were created with SA in mind. In fact, all of the above were created decades before Social Phobia officially existed, being added to the DSM in 1981.
post #17 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 08:49 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogy View Post
They do contain a very large warning stating that they may cause suicidial thoughts.
Yeah, the FDA demands they have their "black box warning" -- the biggest, baddest, most scary warning the FDA has in its arsenal.
post #18 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 10:52 PM
SAS Member

They have made my life much worse
If you get through a life with social phobia/depression with alcohol, do not ever touch these ****ing drugs

Crunchy niplz
post #19 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
Yes, but antidepressants are the first things a doctor will prescribe you if you have social anxiety. I think this is a shame and needs to be stopped.

So your saying someone with SA shouldn't be taking anti depressants at all because it's not meant for us?
post #20 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 12:28 AM
Spectacular Member

Weight the risks and benefits of taking a medication. Only when the risks outweigh the benefits for you should you choose to take it. Depression causes anxiety and anxiety causes depression, neither exist on their own indefinitely.

"It's better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one than to have an opportunity and not be prepared." -- Whitney Young Jr.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page