post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Gabapentin (Neurontin)

I got this today along with my 150 Zoloft.....any info on it

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 04:18 PM

re: Gabapentin (Neurontin)

ive read that its an anticonvulsant mainly used as an antiepileptic to control seizures but its also used sometimes as an AD or mood stabiliser, though i dont think there's been a lot of research on it for those uses.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

i guess it is thought to deal with GABA......The dosage is 300mg, which seems high, but i guess a typical starting dose nonetheless. U can take it up to 3 times a day, and he said it typically lasts 6-8 hrs. BTW, this was his rec after saying i wanted to try something non benzo right now

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

btw, ive taken one today, and it may be partly psychosomatic, but i feel a bit more at ease
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 05:37 PM
Permanently Banned

My experience was that it's a sugar pill -- doesn't help, but didn't notice any side effects either. 300 mg isn't much with this drug. You can take a up to a few thousand mgs per day.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 07:23 PM
SAS Member

I was on gabapentin for a short period once. It was supposed to help stabilize my mood, but all it ever did (at most) was make me sleepy and possibly help my back muscle pain issues (though, that could've been a placebo effect). My psychiatrist started me on 1200mg/day, and even that didn't do much. It took the largest prescription bottle I've ever seen to fill with #120 count 300mg capsules of that stuff.

Once I stopped taking it after realizing that it was not doing anything beneficial for me (and after talking to my psychiatrist about it), I had some left that I tossed into my large bag of empty prescription bottles and boxes. A couple of months after I had my go with gabapentin, I came home from work and took 1200mg of the remaining prescription all at once, and it knocked me out for 13 or 14 hours straight. I've read that gabapentin is a medication whose bioavailability decreases with an increase in dosage, which would make me think that such a large dosage would be less effective than a regular dosage, but I was probably on different medications at the time. Some medications can increase the bioavailability of other medications, so whatever I was taking that night I gobbled down 1200mg of gabapentin may have increased its effectiveness. Who knows...

The main thing that most people find from taking gabapentin is that it either works or it doesn't. Or it does and then it stops. It's a very weird drug. It's very safe, however. I don't think there are any major contraindications against it (except maybe anything sedating), and it doesn't really have any really negative side effects. You might as well give it a shot.

Rx:
Wellbutrin SR 300mg, Eskalith CR 900mg, Luvox 100mg

Things I have tried:
Lexapro, Zoloft, Celexa, Prozac, Paxil, Effexor XR, Remeron, Wellbutrin SR, Eskalith CR, Topamax, Valium, Xanax, Ativan, Ambien, Restoril, Desyrel, Ritalin, Adderall, Dexedrine, Inderal, Lopressor, Thorazine, Lamictal, Abilify, Depakote, Geodon, Seroquel, doxepin, chloral hydrate

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page