Fymcopa (Perampanel) for social phobia/ social anxiety disorder - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2020, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Fymcopa (Perampanel) for social phobia/ social anxiety disorder

Has anyone tried Fymcopa which is the brand name for Perampanel for social phobia? It is an AMPA receptor antagonist and has similar effects to ketamine at high doses. I am asking because ketamine has been studied in multiple clinical studies and trials for treatment resistant social anxiety disorder and if it works there is a possibility that fymcopa could also work. I think accessing this medication would be a lot easier and less expensive than ketamine infusions or nasal spray. I’ve tried many adjunct treatments for my social phobia and am very treatment resistant. Any one with any experience or information regarding this medication for anxiety would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2020, 07:44 PM
ΓΤΖΜ

Wow it's... really expensive in my country (approx 100 dollars for 30 tablets)

I hope it's worth it at least
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2020, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Yeah it’s really expensive here to and I don’t know if it would be covered or not. Interestingly I actually found an article about it!!! I’ll attach the link here. https://www.neurologylive.com/confer...sy-and-anxiety

Here’s another one it’s about it for insomnia but is kind of related.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...03846720300676

I don’t know if my doctor will prescribe this but maybe one day this medication will be a common augmentation agent for treatment resistant social anxiety! Here’s to hoping anyways.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 08:38 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Cool
I think that this medication is kind of either overkill or unnecessary for strictly social anxiety or even just general anxiety. A benzodiazepine is pretty much the gold standard for general anxiety.

When treating social anxiety, I would want to best preserve cognitive abilities and daytime functioning. It looks like the side effect profile is that of anti-epileptic medications. Those types of medications really effect memory and complex cognitive functioning.

The research into insomnia and the improvements in sleep architecture are interesting.

I guess the question is, what do you hope to get out of this medication that other medications for social anxiety aren't good enough for.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2020, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

So maybe you don’t have treatment resistant social anxiety disorder and maybe you do, but mine is crippling and I can barely leave the house. That’s my situation! While a lot of medications can be considered “overkill” including benzodiazepines drugs there life saving for a lot of people. I have tried many medications including benzodiazepines at therapeutic doses and almost all antidepressants and a lot of combinations of medications with minimal improvement. Not to mention the countless group therapy and individual counselling I have participated in. I recently tried adjunctive topiramate at a therapeutic dose and despite the negative side effects it wasn’t that helpful. I would like to try adjunctive Gabatril (tiagabine) but it’s not available in my country. Either way I’m staying positive and continuing counselling for now. I think it’s hard to judge other people’s situations when you don’t know what that person is dealing with.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2020, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

-Here is a fairly recent article about the
anti-anxiety effects of Perampanel I recently found. It’s an animal study but it sounds positive!!

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...24320520311127

-Here is an older study that was done I believe before Perampanel was marketed and states:

“ AMPA and/or kainate receptor blockade may be an important component to producing anxiolytic-like effects and may therefore be a target for compounds with efficacy in the therapeutic treatment of anxiety disorders.”

Who knows maybe Perampanel is really effective for treatment resistant social anxiety and we just don’t know it yet! Maybe one day when it’s generic it will be very commonly used. Either way never give up hope!!!!!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2020, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Sorry here’s the second article.

https://link.springer.com/article/10...213-005-0292-0
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2020, 01:14 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bored
Have you tried an MAOI, Nardil maybe? I'd be going down that route before trying ketamine-like drugs. Nardil's unbeatable for social anxiety. Just my opinion of course; it's your life, your choice 8^)

I'm happy to answer any Nardil-related questions, if I can.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2020, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I had ketamine infusions a few years ago and it was really really effective. Unfortunately I am not able to receive any more at the current time. There’s a shortage of Nardil right now and I would also like to avoid the side effects but it’s definitely an option. So if Perampanel is a safe and accessible and effective alternative to ketamine infusions it would be a great adjunct to the current antidepressant I’m on. I’ve tried many adjuncts without success so this is just one possible option for me.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page