For those who are/been on Parnate - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

For those who are/been on Parnate

Hi Everyone,

After 5.5 years of being on Nardil, I was forced to switch to Parnate as I ran out of my Nardil supply a few weeks ago and with Nardil being on the back order I either had to choose to go through withdrawal symptoms or take a chance. My Nardil dosage was 60mg.

Now, I just finished my second week of Parnate and I started with 20mg and within a week reached 40mg. Im planning to stay on this dose as my Doc thinks it takes time to know if this dose is effective. I currenlty feel a little relief but not major and am not sure if I should up the dose or wait longer on this dose.

For those of you who tried parnate, how long did it take you to know if it was working? When you increased the dosage did you have to be on it for a while till the symptoms imporoved or it become apparent withn a day or two? What do you suggest I should do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Anyone?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 08:04 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bored
I haven't tried it mate, but am in a similar position to you with Nardil. Parnate is my back-up plan as well. Hopefully someone who's taken it can share their experience and answer your question.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-14-2020, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Hopefully I will know it soon and share, on the other hand it seems the withdrawl effects when switching from one MAOI to another is very minimal so I wouldn't worry about that.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 05:14 AM
SAS Member

I tried switching to parnate due the shortage but couldn't handle the BP spikes and crashes and it also gave me severe anxiety.

For updates on Nardil shortage check here: https://nardil.org/global-nardil-shortage/
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2020, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I would advise you to go stay at a low dose and the rest of the dose if you have Nardil you can mix. I took a mixed dosage at the beginning (both nardil & parnate together) and nothing happened, although I did ask Doctor Gillman about this and was assured it would be fine.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2020, 01:31 AM
S F C 0 1

Language: English
My Mood: Amused
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnaby View Post
I would advise you to go stay at a low dose and the rest of the dose if you have Nardil you can mix. I took a mixed dosage at the beginning (both nardil & parnate together) and nothing happened, although I did ask Doctor Gillman about this and was assured it would be fine.

So I swapped from nardil to parnate on the same day, starting at 30mg parnate. I didn't notice any withdrawal from nardil and my mood stayed pretty much where it was ie very good, although it did start to dip after a couple of months on it. Not sure if it was because parnate wasnt working as good as nardil, or the fact I was taking a fair bit of research chemicals, especially ethylphenidate - that can obviously cause some fluctuations in mood.

My GAD stayed away tho on parnate.

I think the main negative with parnate was that I never got that super confident feeling that nardil gives me, that depression and anxiety had been firmly kicked in the nuts and thrown out in the street

Anyway, I changed back to nardil (have swapped from nardil to parnate and back again, twice now)

Tell 'em who the **** I am

SFC
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2020, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Mind telling us how much Nardil and Parnate you were taking? Ty
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2020, 10:19 AM
SAS Member

Which medication did you find more helpful for social anxiety Nardil or Parnate? Also is Parnate energizing/stimulating at all like they say?
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2020, 04:44 AM
SAS Member

Language: English (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkSunset30 View Post
Which medication did you find more helpful for social anxiety Nardil or Parnate? Also is Parnate energizing/stimulating at all like they say?

Tends to be above 45 mg. Might get insomnia which is treatable with a benzo.

May The Force Be With You.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2020, 04:45 AM
SAS Member

Language: English (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkSunset30 View Post

I suppose it can be. Just take it in the AM same as Nardil.

May The Force Be With You.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-23-2020, 11:10 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Cool
Quote:
Hi Everyone,

After 5.5 years of being on Nardil, I was forced to switch to Parnate as I ran out of my Nardil supply a few weeks ago and with Nardil being on the back order I either had to choose to go through withdrawal symptoms or take a chance. My Nardil dosage was 60mg.

Now, I just finished my second week of Parnate and I started with 20mg and within a week reached 40mg. Im planning to stay on this dose as my Doc thinks it takes time to know if this dose is effective. I currenlty feel a little relief but not major and am not sure if I should up the dose or wait longer on this dose.

For those of you who tried parnate, how long did it take you to know if it was working? When you increased the dosage did you have to be on it for a while till the symptoms imporoved or it become apparent withn a day or two? What do you suggest I should do?
So it sounds like you were able to switch almost immediately without going through any withdrawal. Would I be correct in this assumption?

I would up the dose to 50-60mg. I don't really understand why your doctor had you on a small dose of 20mg for 2 weeks and then raised the dose. I think that things could have moved along much faster. Considering you have already been on Nardil for 5.5 years and have sustained benefits from the medication, one would think that it wouldn't be that big of a deal to escalate the dose to an equivalent amount of 60mg of Nardil. I don't know what the dose equivalent of Parnate and Nardil is. I'd be very curious to know. If 40mg isn't enough of Parnate I don't see why you would need to wait longer to go to 50 or 60mg.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-24-2020, 07:04 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bored
Quote:
Hi Everyone,

What country are you in? I ask because Nardil is now becoming a bit easier to find in some places.

Here in Australia, the situation was stressful earlier this year. The outlook was very uncertain for a while and many Nardil users switched to different meds. But now there are several suppliers with stock.

I've heard the Nardil situation in Canada has improved too. And the US has several brands available.

If you could get hold of Nardil again, would you consider switching back? Or maybe you're happy to stick with Parnate.

Either way, good luck!
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-28-2020, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I'm in Canada, apparantly Nardil situation has improved but I have decided to stick with Parnate as I find them pretty similar for social anxiety, parnate doesn't have the weight gain or sexual side effects of Nardil but can cause a bit more insomnia.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2020, 02:52 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sad
it didn't work for me, but nothing ever does..i hope it works for you
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2020, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

ladysmurf,

I recall even when I started Nardil it took a long time to start working and I had to titrate the dosage up and down to find the right dose. Does it have side effects? Absolutely. Did it cure me of social anxiety? No it didnt, but it does make daily life easier and I find that I still have to do meditation, exercise and eat a healthy diet. I really hope you don't give up and stick to it or change brands if you can. Goodluck
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2020, 11:26 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sad
Quote:
ladysmurf,

I recall even when I started Nardil it took a long time to start working and I had to titrate the dosage up and down to find the right dose. Does it have side effects? Absolutely. Did it cure me of social anxiety? No it didnt, but it does make daily life easier and I find that I still have to do meditation, exercise and eat a healthy diet. I really hope you don't give up and stick to it or change brands if you can. Goodluck

i'm glad it's working for you. i just react bad to drugs, i get all the side effects that can't be handled by drugs so nothing ever works.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-20-2020, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I'm so sorry to hear that. I had a lot of side effects but many of them subsided with them, some stayed. I hope you keep trying and find one (or a brand) that works for you.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-22-2020, 03:14 PM
SAS Member

I have Nardil (90mg) a day and want to change to parnate as i cant handle the sexual side effects, anyone that Wants to go from parnate to nardil hit me up trough PM

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page