Excessive Sweating - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Excessive Sweating

I've been having a problem with excessive sweating and I believe it's the result of my SA med.

I was on effexor for a while and moved to cymbalta in order to reduce the dose and hopefully not sweat so much. From what I understand, any medication that affects serotonin can increase sweating, but the amount that I sweat is ridiculous. I was put on buspar recently, but had a bad reaction to it and I think my sweating my have been worse, so I'm back on cymbalta for now.

I was wondering if anyone else on here has experienced this side effect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 10:54 PM

Re: Excessive Sweating

yeah, they can do this. i sweat like mad on my forehead and brow. I have mitchum deoderant cream that I apply at night before a hot day. you can use it anywhere on your body, the evening before, just rub a little in so that it is in GOOD and not a mess, since youre going to sleep with it. You can shower after, just dont scrub too hard wherever you applied it, and youll be all set for a day or two, then reapply as needed.

Alternatively, you can use gold bond or something similar to help. Using a stick antiperspirant or spray isnt as effective as the creams, which have the same ingredient but are more absorbable. It helps to wet the area with a hot cloth and pat dry before applying as well, so the pores are open more

there are also shirts designed to wick away sweat, just make sure you get one which is a tight fit to your body, if you go that route...
at least for me, winter is coming, so the air will be drier and cooler.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 11:05 PM

I also have this problem, but as a direct result of my anxiety, not medication. For me i sweat extremely heavily from my underarms, hands, back, backs of knees sometimes (i know weird huh) and feet. For my underarms i use a product called Driclor which blocks the sweat pores. You roll a small amount on before going to sleep and wash it off in the morning. i do react a bit to it (practically everyone does) and get a bit sore and itchy for a day, but to me the benefits far outway this drawback as i won't sweat there for about 2-4 weeks. However, if you're sweating on your face, palms and feet i would say use the mitchum cream mentioned above.
Good luck!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 08:18 AM

those are lucky places to sweat I'd say...

at work, on any day where there's even the slightest amount of warmth or humidity, after an hour or 2 of work (not even hard labor) my shirt is soaking wet. it starts out as spots of wetness on my chest and spreads from there until I can actually wring several drops of sweat out of the shirt, which is completely wet.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 04:59 PM
Spectacular Member

Try Drysol.

"It's better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one than to have an opportunity and not be prepared." -- Whitney Young Jr.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 08:23 PM
dax
Losing Ground

Go to the dermatologist and ask about drysol. It works great.

Edit: looks like you can actually buy it from this site without a prescription http://www.buydrysol.com/index.asp check it out.

This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 09:16 PM

I dealt with all the same problems you described until 2 weeks ago. I just thought I had a sweating problem but the more and more I thought about it, I related it to social anxiety and I think I made the correct diagnosis. I visited my Dr and he prescribed me klonopin. I take 1mg in the morning on my way to work and another in the early afternoon and I have been sweat free ever since. No longer does talking to a manager make my sweat profusely on my forehead. No longer do I sweat in the checkout line of a grocery store. No longer does my social anxiety prevent me from doing the things in life that I've wanted to do for the last 8 years. I'm 25 years old and I feel like I am begining a whole new life.

When I went to work in the past I would roll up my sleeves because I felt it would help me stay cool to provide some relief from the sweating but ever since I started taking the medication I've been buttoning my shirt cuffs and still don't have any issues whatsoever.

I tried all of those prescription strength antipersperints, cool max shirts, etc. and nothing worked but the klonopin has worked wonders. I recommend you visit your Dr and talk to him about it. I hope you find something that works for you because until 2 weeks ago I never thought I would be able to live a normal life with my sweating problem but right now it is the furthest thing from my mind.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Update, before I could even check back on this thread, the dr. put me on .5mg of klonopin and reduced the cymbalta to 20mg. I'm pretty drowsy right now. I think it may be helping with the sweating. I'm sure it'll take some time.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 08:14 PM

Mister E.

Do you drink any caffeine?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 09:21 PM
SAS Member

I also have excessive sweating from SA. I have underarm sweating pretty under control with Drysol but my hands still sweat quite a bit.

I think my best solution is going to be to solve my anxiety problem somehow and that will solve my hyperhidrosis (since it is caused completely by anxiety).
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 11:17 PM

I had excessive sweating only when I was on Effexor... Never had it when I was pre-Effexor.... Now I am no longer on any medication, no issues with sweating anymore... It's gone!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page