Effexor vs wellbutrin? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Effexor vs wellbutrin?

I was on fluoxetine (prozac) for two years and it worked great for my social anxiety, but I also gained about 20lbs my second year on it (it was also my freshmen year of college so I’m not sure I can attribute all of the weight gain to the anti depressant). Anyway, I took myself off of the Prozac and was fine at first, but my social anxiety issues have gradually crept back into my life and I’m at a pretty low point. I started Wellbutrin about a year ago to help with depression, but it hasn’t really done anything for my social anxiety (definitely hasn’t had the same effect that Prozac did). I have also been battling with an eating disorder for the past 8 years, working with a therapist and nutritionist, I am 5’7 and 120 lbs, finally at a weight that I am happy with that is also healthy. I do not want to go back on Prozac because of my experience with weight gain on it, and also because I have read that weight gain is typical with most SSRIs. I tried wellbutrin because it doesn’t have the weight gain side effect, but it hasn’t helped with my social anxiety at all. Anyway, I am switching from wellbutrin to effexor and I was wondering if effexor has helped anyone out there with his or her social anxiety issues and how it compares to prozac, for anyone who has experienced the effects of both drugs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 09:13 AM
SAS Member

Prozac is also used for weight loss purposes... You need to count kilocalories

If Prozac worked well, I would go back onto that and keep (strict) track of your food intake.
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 01:28 PM
SAS Member

yea i would go back to what worked. like you said it was freshman year, everyone gains weight freshman year. and worst case, at 5'7" 120lbs, it couldn't hurt for you to gain a bit more : )

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 05:12 AM
SAS Member

Note that alcoholic beverages also contain (a lot of) kcals
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 06:30 AM
baclofen enthusiast

wellbutrin might have helped you losing weight, effexor is the gold standard for GAD but it could make you gain some weight.

Dx: depression, GAD, narcissistic personality disorder
Rx: Sereupin (paroxetine) 20mg, Remeron (mirtazapine) 15mg, Deniban (amisulpride) 50mg, EN (delorazapem) 1mg, Halcion (triazolam) 250mcg
Prn: Provigil (modafinil) 200mg, Lioresal (baclofen) 25mg, Samyr Sam-e 400mg tablets and ampoules, Rivotril (clonazepam) 2mg, lormetazepam 2mg
Bad Rx: fluvoxamine, asenapine, bupropion

post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 01:57 PM
SAS Member

Why not go back on prozac and wellbutrin at the same time? Wellbutrin and effexor are different classes of medicine. They are compatible, prozac causes a little weight gain in some people, wellbutrin causes a little weight loss in some people. Prozac reduces sexual drive, wellbutrin increases it.

But any weight gain with prozac in all studies has only been approx 4lbs or less, so is that really a reason to stop prozac if it works for you? It may sound bizarre, but prozac, a tablet no begger than a pin-head doesn't cause weight gain, eating too much food does
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 05:47 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by swim View Post
wellbutrin might have helped you losing weight, effexor is the gold standard for GAD but it could make you gain some weight.
I highly disagree. I was on Effexor for quite a while. It is not any better than an SSRI really until you reach dosages above 225 mg, that's when the NRI effects start to kick in.

From experience I would take and SSRI+Wellbutrin over an SNRI any day. Again, just my experience.

As to your question of Effexor vs. Prozac, I have been on both, I preferred Effexor because Prozac greatly aggravated depression and anxiety symptoms for me. I didn't find Effexor very useful though either, just not as bad as Prozac is all.
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 05:54 PM
fat & furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by istayhome View Post

From experience I would take and SSRI+Wellbutrin over an SNRI any day. Again, just my experience.
Why? Logically one would think that wellbutrin is stronger than effexor cause wellbutrin boost DA and NE while effexor only boost NE and DA only in very high doses.

People say I worry too much. That's scary.
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 06:01 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundercats View Post
Why? Logically one would think that wellbutrin is stronger than effexor cause wellbutrin boost DA and NE while effexor only boost NE and DA only in very high doses.
Yeah, that's what I said. For depression that does not respond to an SSRI alone I have found that adding Wellbutrin, a DNRI , to it is much more effective than switching to an SNRI alone.
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 06:08 PM
fat & furious

I have been on wellbutrin alone and a SSRI alone and none of them did anything. I wonder how big are the chances that if I had combined them all of a sudden it would have worked when taking it alone didn't do anything?
Should each drug when used alone not at least have had some effect?
If not then my doc messed it up cause he never tried a combo which makes me kinda angry right now.

post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 06:20 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
I have been on wellbutrin alone and a SSRI alone and none of them did anything. I wonder how big are the chances that if I had combined them all of a sudden it would have worked when taking it alone didn't do anything?
If not then my doc messed it up cause he never tried a combo which makes me kinda angry right now.
Take some responsibility for your own care dude. Instead of being angry with your doctor why don't you start taking charge of your situation and try some medications and combos that might actually help you. I know you won't though because you are to scared that if you take an antidepressant just once then it might have some horrible effect on you.
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 04:26 AM
fat & furious

When I see my doc the talk time is not very long and usually he only makes a suggestion at the end so that I basically have no time to ask many more questions. I also don't know if making own suggestions and trying combos would work or wether I should just take what he suggests.

post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 11:24 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
If both drugs separately didn't do anything, then common sense dictates that combining them would still result in them not doing anything. 0 + 0 is still 0.
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 11:28 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
When I see my doc the talk time is not very long and usually he only makes a suggestion at the end so that I basically have no time to ask many more questions. I also don't know if making own suggestions and trying combos would work or wether I should just take what he suggests.
You are paying him or her for a service, you sound as if it's the other way around. If you want to make suggestions or ask questions, for the love of God, do so! He or she is probably annoyed as well because of your passivity. Most doctors light up when you ask them questions.
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 11:58 AM
fat & furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inshallah View Post
If both drugs separately didn't do anything, then common sense dictates that combining them would still result in them not doing anything. 0 + 0 is still 0.
Not sure if this is right. According to Stahl you could take a SSRI and it doesn't work cause there's too little serotonine in the first place. Adding buspar then makes the whole thing work. If that's true then you can never know if something sucked entirely or if it would have magically worked when combined with something else. That's scary.

post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 11:57 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Not sure if this is right. According to Stahl you could take a SSRI and it doesn't work cause there's too little serotonine in the first place. Adding buspar then makes the whole thing work. If that's true then you can never know if something sucked entirely or if it would have magically worked when combined with something else. That's scary.
What on earth is scary about that? Why do you even talk about medications anymore, it's not like you're going to take any. I think your best bet is to forget about medication altogether, keep an eye on the therapy subforum and start pursuing therapy options to help you. Unless you are scared of therapy as well.

Combining medications is weird. I took Luvox and Wellbutrin and had no positive results. Mainly because I have never had any positive results with an SSRI. Finally I stopped all SSRI's and now I am taking Lamictal which has been incredibly helpful. I added Wellbutrin to that and it made a huge difference. As for Buspar, combined with an SSRI or not it does absolutely nothing for me. Probably because SSRI's do nothing for me and Buspar is only indicated for mild to moderate anxiety without panic attacks whereas I have severe anxiety with panic attacks, so Buspar has no chance of helping me.

But combining medications can make a huge difference as I exemplified above. Two medications that do nothing on their own can be very useful when combined.

Thundercats, I will echo what I and others have said to you. You are sitting around angry and afraid while doing nothing and expecting a doctor to read your mind and provide you with a perfect remedy that has been proven to be 1,000,000% safe and effective. Try telling your doctor everything and taking some f-ing medications that might help you.
post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 05:59 AM
fat & furious

The problem is I don't have time to try out 20 different combos. To do this I would have needed to start years earlier. That's depressing. How am I supposed to figure out what kind of combos I should try in relatively little time? I could as well throw a dice.

And when I now think that maybe those drugs I have tried out without success celexa,remeron,wellbutrin could have worked in a combo situation then this means that I have not gained any information at all. Then I can't even say if these drugs suck entirely for me or only as mono therapy.

post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 06:51 AM
SAS Member

If drug A doesn't work, and drug B doesn't work, combining them still won't work because there is nothing that works. And if the combination does work, then the drugs individually worked as well.

If Stahl, or any psychiatrist for that matter, is talking about an SSRI-Wellbutrin combination, you have someone on an SSRI firstly, for whom the SSRI helped but not enough, and then Wellbutrin is added. If the SSRI didn't do anything, then keeping it and adding other things to it doesn't make sense. It has to at least have some therapeutic effect.

What would make sense is adding something that gives more material for the SSRI to work with, but neither Buspar, nor Wellbutrin, nor one of the prescription stimulants is it.

Maybe we're lost in semantics here but for me "doesn't work" means just that, it doesn't do anything useful. Adding another drug to this will result at best in the therapeutic effects of the added drug, while taking the first drug for no reason whatsoever other than filling other people's wallets.
post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 07:02 AM
fat & furious

Then maybe there simply is nothing which works for me. I mean I tried SSRI, NASSA and NDRI. I got the major NTs covered and nothing seemed to work.

post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 12:25 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Then maybe there simply is nothing which works for me. I mean I tried SSRI, NASSA and NDRI. I got the major NTs covered and nothing seemed to work.
Apparently you are completely clueless as to the complexity of psychiatry and neurophysiology. You've tried three whole medications all of which are pretty benign when you seem to have a pretty severe condition. I do hope that you get some help.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page