Effexor- Best SSRI/SNRI? - Social Anxiety Forum
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 131

Effexor- Best SSRI/SNRI?


So I have tried all of the SSRI's. My doctor now wants to put me on Effexor, because she has had good results with patients she says. Does anyone think that this is probably the most powerful of the SSRI/SNRI's? I am just sick of going through the SSRI merry-go-round, as none of them have done anything for me. Remeron didnt do a damn thing either. Im thinking MAOI's are the only think that are going to help my social anxiety/depression. Anyone had success with Effexor?
tooker is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 11:35 AM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: 35/M
Posts: 415
Effexor was helpful for me. However, I got a much better effect when it was combined with Klonopin.
FearNoMore is offline  
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 11:42 AM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 906
Cymbalta is supposed to be the better of the two simply because it starts the NRI action sooner and in lower doses than effexor.
D.B. Cooper is offline  
 
post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by FearNoMore
Effexor was helpful for me. However, I got a much better effect when it was combined with Klonopin.
Im taking Klonopin right now, so hopefully it will be a good combo.
tooker is offline  
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.B. Cooper
Cymbalta is supposed to be the better of the two simply because it starts the NRI action sooner and in lower doses than effexor.
Excellent, ill have to ask my doc about that.
tooker is offline  
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 01:26 PM
Permanently Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: melbourne australia
Posts: 1,376
to tooker
effexor is different to the SSRIs so try it, it may work for you
no antidepressants are stronger, it all depends on the dose, with effexor, the usual range is from about 75 to 300
arthur56 is offline  
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by arthur56
no antidepressants are stronger
You mean no SSRI/SNRI's are stronger right?
tooker is offline  
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 07:04 PM
Bon
Walking in the light
 
Bon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: MI
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,662
The best med, is the one that works for you. What works for me, may not work for you and vice versa.

I'm on effexor, for depression I thought Wellbutron worked better (for me).

Mental illness is what some have, not who they are.
Bon is offline  
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 09:17 PM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 176
To be honest,

Effexor was HELL for me when I was withdrawing from it... (twice) but it works BEST for me out of all medicines so far.

I used to think Zoloft was the best, but now with Effexor AND Klonopin has "stabilized" my anxiety/depression. Yes, it's still there, but it's more stabilized and I can function.....

I'm not certain if I am correct on this one... Anyone correct me if I am wrong?

Paxil is supposedly to be the MOST potent antidepressant.. and on the bottom.. Prozac is he weakest antidepressant....

In order that I know from most potent to weakest for AD's.

Paxil
Effexor/Cymbalta
Zoloft
Lexapro/Celexa
Prozac

Others might know more?

SeattleGuy35

dx: SAD/GAD and (self-diagnosed) mild depression
rx: Effexor XR and Klonopin
seattleguy35 is offline  
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 01:13 AM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by arthur56
no antidepressants are stronger
I disagree, try taking effexor and remeron together at any reasonable doses. It doesnt matter if you're responding to the meds because your brain is getting assaulted by such a massive amount of neurotransmitters you can barely remember your own name. Sort of like living in a dream.
D.B. Cooper is offline  
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.B. Cooper
Quote:
Originally Posted by arthur56
no antidepressants are stronger
I disagree, try taking effexor and remeron together at any reasonable doses. It doesnt matter if you're responding to the meds because your brain is getting assaulted by such a massive amount of neurotransmitters you can barely remember your own name. Sort of like living in a dream.[/quote

Or how about an MAOI such as Nardil or Parnate. From what I have heard, they are the strongest anti-depressants out there.
tooker is offline  
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 06:00 PM
New mum to summer rose
 
Arisa1536's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Surrey UK with Hubby for christmas
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,875
No do not take MAOI's unless you are prepared to restrict yourself from certain foods and medications and do not mind putting on weight.
The doctors, even the many psychiatrists i have seen all said "no way" when i asked about various types of MAOI's because of their side effects. They are not a magic pill, and okay they work for some people but i would definitely try SNRI medications first.



Effexor for me is a 3/5 because it reduced anxiety and depressive feelings and helped immensely but there is always a draw back and catch on any med and this medication has one as well and i know coming off it is meant to be awful :/ but i could not be on it for the rest of my life anymore like i thought i could, its just not good long term

"Some men see things as they are and say why? I dream things that never were and say why not? "
RFK quoting George Bernard Shaw



Do you think we choose the times into which we are born? Or do we fit the times we are born into?-Abraham Lincoln
Arisa1536 is offline  
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 07:47 PM
SAS Member
 
TyrosineKinase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Gender: Male
Posts: 355
Effexor was useless for me at the 225 level even when combined with maxed dosage wellbutrin and a Benzo. Discontinuation of effexor was hell to deal with too so be prepared for it when it comes like others have said.

But others have had a lot of success with it so hopefully you do as well good luck.
TyrosineKinase is offline  
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 08:00 PM
UnDeRrAtED
 
CopadoMexicano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Half Empty-Half-Full
Gender: Male
Posts: 34,058
Thank god Effexor didnt work for me or else i would of have gone thru hell getting off it.

All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence and than success is sure," Mark Twain

-------------------------------------------------------
CopadoMexicano is offline  
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 09:18 PM
Spectacular Member
 
Noca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ontario
Gender: Male
Age: 33
Posts: 20,900
I've been offered Effexor XR 3 times so far and flat out rejected it every time. I can't be bothered to go through withdrawals every day I miss a pill by as little as 2 hours, screw that!



Noca is online now  
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 10:48 PM
SAS Member
 
beaches09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: US
Gender: Male
Posts: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.B. Cooper View Post
I disagree, try taking effexor and remeron together at any reasonable doses. It doesnt matter if you're responding to the meds because your brain is getting assaulted by such a massive amount of neurotransmitters you can barely remember your own name. Sort of like living in a dream.
You hit the nail on the head. When I was on those two that's exactly what it was like. A total slow motion bubble of liquid like dream state. In an unpleasant absent minded way. If it were positive on the other hand that would have been cool.

As for Effexor, I say it's ok. For many it's a miracle drug, for some it sucks. For me 40mg Paxil was stronger, 200mg Zoloft was more activating, Effexor is just in between. I'm on 225 and I feel blah, 5 months now. But a bit less blah than I did without it. I need to try 375mg before I give it the proper rate.

Wellbutrin was the most activating of them all. Combined with an SSRI to balance the negative effects.


beaches09 is offline  
post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 05:36 AM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ireland
Gender: Male
Posts: 363
If I was to try meds again (not likely) I think I would like to try effexor but I heard it can actually increase anxiety and is a ***** to withdraw from.

But as other are saying the best med is the one that works for YOU and everyone reacts differently to these things. Its trial and error really
thesilenthunter90 is offline  
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 07:03 AM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mielec, Poland
Gender: Male
Posts: 83
For me Effexor XR (Efectin ER) was good for depression and GAD on 150mg, but for SA and panic attacks did nothing. Better for SA and panic attakcs for me is paroxetine currently 30mg.
areq1987 is offline  
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 07:45 PM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Gender: Male
Age: 31
Posts: 540
Tried effexor..found it very anxiety pvovoking. I gave it a few months and quit. I didn't like the effect it was producing. I tried celexa..it reved up my anxiety alot and after 4 months of no benefit and increased anxiety I gave up. Tried paxil for a week at 10mg couldn't handle it. After being on a certain med for a few weeks you can see how they are working for you and tell if there right or not. I have started zoloft last week and today is day 7 on 50mg.. can't seem to notice any side effects yet. My sleep has majorly improved and I had a bit of increased anxiety the first 4 days. It's only today I actually got a couple of "breaks" you could call it from the anxiety. So I think in time the zoloft will be of much help. It's the only ssri that I still feel my self on. It's like I'm not being medicated at all. I yawn a bit for the first couple of hours after taking it but nothing serious. Sex drive was a bit low for the first 3 days and now it's the same as before. I feel this is the one for me. effexor,celexa,zoloft and other antidepressants will affect you differently. Effexor increases serotonin and noradrenaline, celexa increases serotonin, and zoloft increases serotonin but also has a mild dopamine increasing effect. they say the reuptake ability of zoloft isnt involved in its AD effect but I definetly think it plays a major factor.
Canadian4Life is offline  
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 09:27 PM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Gender: Male
Age: 31
Posts: 540
Effexor helped with depression but increased anxiety and my SA. I had to take 3mg of klonopin with it for anxiety support. I didn't want to be on 2 meds for social anxiety and depression so I switched to zoloft. It has allowed me to cut my klonopin dose to 0.5 mg a day...amazing
Canadian4Life is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mixing Effexor(SNRI) with Paxil(SSRI)? Biron21 Medication 10 08-29-2014 09:49 AM
withdrawal from ssri/snri and irritability fraidycat Medication 6 07-02-2011 12:13 PM
SNRI VS. 'SSRI + Wellbutrin' Guide 4 Dummies Medication 6 12-30-2009 06:10 PM
SSRI verses SNRI WhiteWings Medication 7 06-03-2008 05:39 PM
SSRI + NRI = SNRI? korey Medication 4 08-28-2006 04:56 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome