effectiveness of buspar/buspirone - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

effectiveness of buspar/buspirone

Can anyone please give me their experiences and success/failure using buspar? I am on clonazepam at the moment but am soon to see a psych , where the principle discussion will be whether to try buspirone. I have GAD and mild depression as well as SP. I've head that it can be very effective for the GAD and mild depression but that most find it ineffective for SP. Does anyone out there get relief for SP from buspirone? Thanks.
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

Re: effectiveness of buspar/buspirone

Outsider,
I'd really appreciate you updating me on how it goes over the next few weeks for you. I hope well. Also, are you suffering nasty side effects?
Chris
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 05:04 AM
Permanently Banned

I tried it. My findings: Buspar = sugar pill. Only positive was lack of side effects.

I only tried it because my brother had some extra in his med stockpile and gave it to me. I asked my psychiatrist if it was worth trying. His opinion was that Buspar was basically useless on its own, but might help augment the large dose of Xanax I'm on. It didn't help.

My brother seems to only take it because he gets it free with his insurance and it lacks side effects. He says "he thinks it might be marginally effective", hardly high praise.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 07:57 AM
Spectacular Member

i asked for buspar and my doc refused saying its "useless"

"It's better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one than to have an opportunity and not be prepared." -- Whitney Young Jr.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 10:12 AM

I took Buspar for about two weeks. The first week was fine, when I was taking the half of pill. But when I started taking the whole pill, it made my heart go crazy. It felt like it was on a rollercoaster, going up and down. I couldn't handle it so I just quit taking it, which is okay, since you don't suffer withdrawal from Buspar.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 07:15 PM

I have been on BuSpar for six months and have found it to be helpful with my GAD. For my SP not as much, so I take Xanax as needed for that. I have heard many say that BuSpar doesn't do much of anything, but I have yet to notice any negative side effects, only positive including increased libido, which I love it for that alone. It did take some time before I noticed a change in my GAD, probably at least a month. It is worth a try although many don't think it does anything for them.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Trixy for the positive news. These are pretty much the effects I'm hoping for. If Buspirone can decrease my GAD and increase my libido then I might feel confident enough to start having sex again!
If it doesn't help the SP, then I'm more than happy to take a bit of xanax or clonazepam to keep that in order. My thinking is that this could be the 'perfect' combination to get me back into life the way I'd like it to be.
Cheers for that,
Chris
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 10:12 PM

You're welcome Chris and best of luck with the combination. Another strange side effect that I get from time to time with the BuSpar is extremely vivid colorful dreams and often times erotic. All the numerous antidepressants that I have tried before killed by libido and caused weight gain...enough to make me depressed quite literaly. Since going off of antidepressants I have lost over 30 pounds and am still losing, so it is nice to know that BuSpar doesn't effect weight gain for me and more weight loss. No complaints yet with this med and am curious if anyone else has any input or experiences with BuSpar.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 08:22 PM
SAS Member

On bpar for 3 weeks now.It actually kicked in the first time i took it, which is weird.It has reduced my anxiety like 30%.Sometimes that could be the difference between being anxious and losing ur mind.I'll take the 30%.The first 4 days made me dizzy for 20min after taking it.Now I will occasionally get dizzy,sometimes I break the pill in half to make sure I dnt get dizzy.Other than that no side effects.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 06:01 PM
SAS Member

I've been taking Buspar for about a month, and I have been very happy with it. The best effect has been a great improvement in my mood, which is odd since my PCP told me it was not supposed to have an effect on mood (but I'll take it ). In terms of social anxiety, I do find that I have more "good" days, and my good days are better than they were before. I've had more of a genuine interest in other people and am more likely to make comments or just feel comfortable being around others.

It's hard to put my finger on how much it has reduced my anxiety (because my anxiety is fairly constant - any change is more like turning up or down a dial), but I think the positive effects (that I feel happier, more interested in being social, more like "myself") are likely due to a general lessening of anxiety. I didn't expect any kind of miracles from medication, just something to dull the anxiety while I work on things behaviorally, so it works great for me in that respect.

I've had very few side effects, mainly tiredness. I've tried both Paxil and Celexa in the past, and the side effects were more than I was willing to put up with - no libido, 20-30 pound weight gain, and zombie-like emotions.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 06:31 AM
SAS Member

I have heard from three different people that buspar has helped them greatly with their anxiety. I am currently taking valium and asked my doc about switching (gradually ) to buspar. he said that people who are already taking benzo's don't seem to benefit as much as people who have not been taking them, but said we could give it a try.
Sometimes, he said, people can experience bad "panic" attacks while taking benzo's that are actually withdrawal sxs especially if they are on a very high dose and take it regulary. I only take as needed so i hope that i might benefit from the buspar...
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 07:33 AM
SAS Member

Location: my feet they finally took root in the earth, but I got me a nice little place in the stars.
In a way I hear what your doc is saying. When you take a Benzo, you "feel" the effects. Buspar is like an antidepressant in that you don't "feel" it working. You rather just notice that overall your anxiety may be a little lower over time. For many people with Benzo experience, Buspar just does not feel like it does anything. That being said Benzo's can present all types of problems especially with extended use and Buspar is probably better for you in the long run.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 10:39 AM
SAS Member

Made me feel the best and anxiety free I have ever felt my entire life for about 3-5 days then it pooped out and made my anxiety worse cause I felt dizzy all the time
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 11:48 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oioioi123 View Post
Made me feel the best and anxiety free I have ever felt my entire life for about 3-5 days then it pooped out and made my anxiety worse cause I felt dizzy all the time
Exactly the same experience that i got
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 11:56 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meedo View Post
sucks hey? its so harsh to feel so amazing and think wow i can finnally lead a normal life just to have it snatched away in a few days. It was like winning the lottery then going back to double check the ticket and realize you read the numbers wrong
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 02:10 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
sucks hey? its so harsh to feel so amazing and think wow i can finnally lead a normal life just to have it snatched away in a few days. It was like winning the lottery then going back to double check the ticket and realize you read the numbers wrong
Definetly! It sucks big time! and since then i have been trying to find out how could i have this feeling again. SSRI's don't give such feeling of anxiety killing ... its more like anxiety relief for the worst 20% . But the Social Phobia and anxiety are still in the background. The initial feeling that i got from Buspar was like a reduction of a whooping 80% !! It was like i am a different man. Fearless and the world was full of possibilities,

I have a plan to try Grandaxin or Baclofen... hope i can find the same feeling in one of them.
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 07:58 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by meedo View Post
I has the same feeling with buspar. It pooped out on me. Zoloft was the same way and that effect pooped out on me as well. But I'm giving Zoloft a second try.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 09:52 PM
SAS Member

The last dr I seen refused to prescribe benzos and gave me buspar instead saying it would help. LOL, I will never go back there again - back to my psych dr even though its more expensive.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 05:02 PM
SAS Member

I have been taking Buspar for a full week now. I am still on the initial dose of 15mg twice a day. This pill so far is very mellow. I was diagnosed with GAD after three years on benzodiazepines for IBS. It turns out I actually had Celiacs and did not need the benzos. I weaned off the benzos earlier this year and had one hell of a time doing it. The withdrawals were EVIL.....I cannot describe how bad they really were. I am very hopefull that Buspar help me achieve my goal of being pill free. I never had a problem with anxiety before any of this. I still feel/experience a higher rate of anxiety like a light/small panic attack coming on. I use .25mg Xanax to get relief but very hesitant to do so. I am determined to control my anxiety and hope Buspar will help me do that. My mother took Buspar for 20+ years and adored it. She even quit without any withdrawals!!!! I hope the positive things I have read here will be my experience.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 04:33 AM
New mum to summer rose

It does not work well with effexor in my experience, it just gave me headaches, tiredness and made me gain weight but perhaps on another antidepressant it would be a good secondary medication???

"Some men see things as they are and say why? I dream things that never were and say why not? "
RFK quoting George Bernard Shaw

Do you think we choose the times into which we are born? Or do we fit the times we are born into?-Abraham Lincoln

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page