dumb pharmacology question. What do Parnate and Nardil have in common? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 06:00 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

dumb pharmacology question. What do Parnate and Nardil have in common?

..in terms of neurotransmitters immediately released / metabolites? (..so, not including the MAO inhibition that tra-la-la's along later)

Basically, I have a problem with cognition, and Parnate and Nardil help that problem. Not the later MAO inhibition, but sort of just after I take them (like 12 hours after ingestion for Parnate, and twice that for Nardil). It could be as early as the first dose. The problem is that this isn't sustainable.

So, for the same cognition problem:
-I've also taken SSRIs for quite a bit in the past. (No benefit whatsoever from my experience)
-I took Atomoxetine for 2 months. (same story)
-I also took methylphenidate for, i think it was 2 months, a while back this year (more zilch)

so yeah. Those wouldve been my first guesses..

LMAO. I'm sorry, but that last sentence actually had me laughing aloud. You're hilarious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 06:49 AM
SAS Member

What is the nature of your cognition problem?

Unfortunately the MAOI pharmacology articles are all behind paywalls. I know Nardil metabolises to PEA which releases norepinephrine and dopamine and has amphetamine-like effects, and Parnate also releases norepinephrine and dopamine and might metabolise to amphetamine itself. Something like Adderall is probably a good place to start.

Edit: Here's a report I found on the effects of Nardil on GABA. http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/o...04/NQ29091.pdf
Edit 2: Here's another about Nardil and GABA. https://ejournals.library.ualberta.c...File/1753/1190
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 04:45 PM
Permanently Banned

I don't know, other than both can reduce MAO to zero despite having entirely different chemical structures. Nardil is a hydrazine like other MAOIs and most were removed from the market for being too liver toxic.

Parnate is a substituted amphetamine. Since it looks like an amphetamine, many ignorant MDs with no first-hand experience, think it must be stimulating (even though it isn't).

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Sorry! Um.. the cognitive problem is that I can't think um.. socially? It's difficult to explain, but it was bad enough that i had to drop out of school 3 times, and currently have no stable friends (from leading a relatively average/above average social life pre onset (which was like when I was 13 or something))

Yeah, I know. You'd think methylphenidate would've helped, but nope. it did make me feel extremely stressed out right after taking it (exactly like Parnate), only, unlike parnate, that's really all it would end up doing.

LMAO. I'm sorry, but that last sentence actually had me laughing aloud. You're hilarious.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page