Dr. cutting me off klonopin cold turkey! - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Exclamation

Dr. cutting me off klonopin cold turkey!

well I have been taking 2mg of clonazepam daily for over a year, i called in for a refill as per usual because i only have 2, 1mg pills left. Dr's office informed me that they would not refill my prescription until i came in for the soonest appointment available on the 12th! WTH, i just saw her 2 months ago, everything was fine she said she had no concerns about my dosage. Shouldn't a doctor be aware of the serious withdrawal symptoms that can happen if you stop benzodiazepines suddenly without a slow taper! I am freaking out, how worried should I be right now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 07:57 PM
SAS Member

just to go to the ER and tell them you are suffering from benzo withdrawal.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 08:04 PM
SAS Member

Or you could call the doctor's office and let them know you only have a few pills left and are worried about possible withdrawal since you have been on the medication for so long.

You could also ask to directly speak with the doctor if you haven't. It is possible the nurse/secretary/whoever handling the phone calls isn't aware of the risks.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I am going to call the office tomorrow, it's so hard to get a hold of my doc she has no direct line, all the messages go to a general voicemail box and it takes forever for her to call me back... i guess because it's a low income clinic? I'm not even sure if she works on friday and then it's the weekend and they aren't open
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 08:18 PM
SAS Member

If you can't get hold of the dr in time, you should tell whoever you can get on phone that you are worried about possible withdrawal and would like a few pills to last you till the next appt. Otherwise, as recipe suggested, if you experience symptoms (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzodi...rawal_syndrome) you could go to the ER as a last resort.
From my experience, I was on benzos for years and when I stopped cold turkey I had no problems whatsoever. So you may be just fine w/o tapering down but still it's better to be safe.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alte View Post
From my experience, I was on benzos for years and when I stopped cold turkey I had no problems whatsoever. So you may be just fine w/o tapering down but still it's better to be safe.
If you don't mind me asking, what type of benzo and what was the dose per day? That's awesome that you suffered no withdrawals!
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 09:05 PM
SAS Member

I took Xanax, dose varied depending upon the day, usually between 0.25mg-2mg a day. Upto 5 to 6 days a week. For a year.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 09:19 PM
SAS Member

Go to hospital say you might have seizure due to rapid titration of benzos, they will stabilize you back on your dose.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 01:25 AM
Permanently Banned

My doctor makes damn sure I have an adequate Xanax supply. I'm sure it's not simply out of love for me. Probably mostly because after prescribing 8-10 mg a day for over 7 years thus far, cutting me off could result in a fatal seizure and a multi-million dollar medical malpractice suit landing upon his desk soon after my death.

It's real important to his insurance company that if I die it not be from benzo withdrawal.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 01:55 AM
Permanently Banned

I was on it for a little over 2 years and quit cold turkey with almost no adverse effect. It was probably one of the better pills I have come off of.
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 04:31 AM
SAS Member

You should call your doctors office or just show up and explain to them. Maybe they made a mistake? You cannot quit cold turkey off of benzos. If they dont refill and you run out please go the emergency room, and find a new doctor!
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 04:44 AM
Permanently Banned

Doctors do that to make money, they make you come in as often as possible. I know that, it is always the same no matter what. Its really sad to see that money is more important to them than the well being of their patients.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 07:29 AM
SAS Member

post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 08:12 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeybee1980 View Post
well I have been taking 2mg of clonazepam daily for over a year, i called in for a refill as per usual because i only have 2, 1mg pills left. Dr's office informed me that they would not refill my prescription until i came in for the soonest appointment available on the 12th! WTH, i just saw her 2 months ago, everything was fine she said she had no concerns about my dosage. Shouldn't a doctor be aware of the serious withdrawal symptoms that can happen if you stop benzodiazepines suddenly without a slow taper! I am freaking out, how worried should I be right now?
Man have I been there before. These damn doctors tighten up like a drum skin when you need your benzo. Same happened to me a year ago at same dosage and I spent 4 days in withdrawl hell. I was forced to go to the hospital.

Upon my next visit I told my P-doc that she put me at high risk for sezure. Then I asked her if she wanted that hanging over her head. Never had a problem since.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 11:24 AM
SAS Member

Benzo Withdrawals

My PDoc is very clear not to even come close to running out of my klonopin. Although others are correct here that it may be one of the easier benzos to get off of, cold turkey is not the answer for any benzo. Your right to be frustrated and the suggesstions to find another avenue to procure your medications is correct. Good luck and find a new doc.
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 11:29 AM
The Power Of Nature

As suggested before if you cant get anymore go to the ER, benzo withdrawal can be very serieus, not even prescribing something against seizures is highly irresponsible.

Disclaimer: I am not a professional, all my advice is based on my own research and experiences.

"A lie told often enough becomes the truth."
-Lenin

Loving my girl.

Anyone is free to PM me questions or ask my MSN adress.
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 11:56 AM
SAS Member

Ashton Method + diazepam :P
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 02:44 PM
The Power Of Nature

I'm also thinking that rapid withdrawal is asking for protracted withdrawal symptons, and that very slow titration is the only proper way to get off benzo's, even when its possible to avoid seizures.

Disclaimer: I am not a professional, all my advice is based on my own research and experiences.

"A lie told often enough becomes the truth."
-Lenin

Loving my girl.

Anyone is free to PM me questions or ask my MSN adress.
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 07:45 PM
SAS Member

post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Thank you for the responses everyone, i appreciate your advice! I found out my clinic does emergency appointments on sat, so I will see if one of the docs on duty tomorrow can prescribe enough k-pin to get me through till the 12th. If not I will likely go to the ER. I cut my dose down to 0.5 mg yesterday and today in order to conserve the last pill and i already feel 'off '. I had to take 20 mg of ambien last night just so I could sleep.
After this I will be making an appointment with a psychiatrist so hopefully I will have a Dr who better understands benzos and SA in general. I am so tired of the fear and stress i have to deal with every time i need to get a refill, because each time i have to call the clinic and get a reauthorization from the doc which can take days and they don't allow me to have any overlap, saying i may only refill after exactly 30 days leaving me absolutely no surplus should i need it.
I do plan on tapering klonopin soon, because i really dislike being so physically dependant on a pharmaceutical! I want to get to the point where i can take it on an as-needed basis only and not daily. I got into trouble because i've also been using it to help with my insomnia, and before i knew it i was taking it everyday and also became more and more tolerant (started w/ 0.5 mg a day). I do have severe SA though, so I would probably have to take it almost daily anyway if i am going out of the house It's a dilemma...be physically addicted to a drug or crippled with anxiety? Maybe completing CBT will be the answer, I don't know?
Klonopin has been a wonder drug for me and the only thing that ever significantly helped my SA. What did someone post here once about it, something along the lines of "klonopin, wonder drug forged in satan's pill press" lol.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page