Doxepin + Clomipramine - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
:/

Doxepin + Clomipramine

Anyone have any good or bad experiences taking these tricyclic antidepressant drugs (Doxepin + Clomipramine) together?

Also if these meds don't work, I'm wondering what should I try next? I've tried almost every SSRI. I've also tried Effexor, 3-4 antipsychotics, Buspar, klonopin. None, of it has helped me enough. The best combo that I was on was Celexa and Klonopin, and I was still having a rough time.

I've been diagnosed with depression, SAD, GAD, and agoraphobia. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 08:20 PM
SAS Member

With 2 tricyclics, you'll probably be sedated quite a bit. Maybe even more so than you want. Why are you taking two tricyclics? Just curious.

Rx:
Wellbutrin SR 300mg, Eskalith CR 900mg, Luvox 100mg

Things I have tried:
Lexapro, Zoloft, Celexa, Prozac, Paxil, Effexor XR, Remeron, Wellbutrin SR, Eskalith CR, Topamax, Valium, Xanax, Ativan, Ambien, Restoril, Desyrel, Ritalin, Adderall, Dexedrine, Inderal, Lopressor, Thorazine, Lamictal, Abilify, Depakote, Geodon, Seroquel, doxepin, chloral hydrate
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 09:20 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by korey View Post
With 2 tricyclics, you'll probably be sedated quite a bit. Maybe even more so than you want.
+1, it would most likely be an extremely sedating combo.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
:/

I already feel tired most of the time.

I think I'm going to take a low dosage of Doxepin at night as a sleep aid. And Clomipramine during the day for depression and anxiety. I'm still tapering off buspirone, and won't start the tricyclic antidepressant until next week.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 09:32 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtogo72 View Post
I already feel tired most of the time.

I think I'm going to take a low dosage of Doxepin at night as a sleep aid. And Clomipramine during the day for depression and anxiety. I'm still tapering off buspirone, and won't start the tricyclic antidepressant until next week.
So you havn't started either of them yet? Personally I'd test them out one at a time first, some people get by just fine taking clomipramine before bed, so I'd try that out first, since it's generally sedating. Then see how your body personally reacts to it, and go from there.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 08:21 PM
SAS Member

I have been on clomipramine for 27 years because obviously it works for me though plenty side effects. I just started taking doxepin to help sleep and do NOT agree that it's a knockout combo.
It depends on how much dox. I take. 75 mg wastes me next day.
50 mg does not but i make wake too early and take a bit of xanax, though i'm trying to cut down xanax: why i'm taking dox.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 08:55 PM
SAS Member

A good website for finding out about clomipramine is askapatient.com. There is a problem with it, however. You may not find more than a handful of entries if you enter clomipramine, but there are hundreds if you enter the original brand name anafranil. I'm trying to get them to straighten this out but no luck so far. So do the same with doxepin/sinequan.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 11:18 PM
SAS Member

Imipramine is the only med that seems to help me
I take it with Paxil

Crunchy niplz
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 01:57 PM
SAS Member

re. clomipramine

redtogo72: good point about not starting clomipramine and sinequan at the same time. doing that you have two variables and you don't know which one is causing what effects. i'd agree that clomipramine is sedating, but i'd say that it's only mildly so. doxepin/sinequan is highly sedating, much much more so that clomipramine. clomipramine is great against depression and anxiety, the last for me esp. on higher doses also a great painkiller on higher doses, e.g., for bad back. . personally i dont understand why the doc does't use a benzo and one antidepressant instead of two antidepressants. IMO, benzos have an undeservedly bad rep. there are differences between them. i would ask the doc for one with a relatively short half-life, as they vary tremendously. i don't know how i would have got thru the last 27 years without xanax.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 02:06 PM
SAS Member

be careful with generic clomipramine

re clomipramine again. i have been on the original, anafranil, and the generics APO and CO among others. Avoid the generic MYLAN, formerly GEN. It just plain didn't work for me. My doc told me psychiatrists get lots of complaints about it, and i've heard the same from pharmacists. Health Canada told me they qualify generics based on blood levels of healthy individuals. What the hell is the point of that? Obviously you need to test new generics based on reactions of PATIENTS who are doing well on other generics or the original. There obviously more going on than just blood levels.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page