Doxepin - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Occasionally Bannned

Doxepin

Ive been taking this a month now and so far, this crap does absolutely NOTHING at 50mg. Its not even a good sleeping pill. The water I take it with has a more profound effect on me than this stuff does. If theres anything i can attribute to it actually doing, its possibly making me a bit more lethargic but even thats hard to gauge against my background noise level of laziness. As for my anxieties, its worthless. On a brighter note, it has no side effects...hell on that note, it has no effects what-so-ever. None.

`

"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses."

- Ezekiel 23:20

And thou shalt eat it as barley cakes, and thou shalt bake it with dung that cometh out of man, in their sight.

--Ezekiel 4:12

Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ***.

--1 Samuel 15:3

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 12:28 PM
Spectacular Member

Re: Doxepin

then why are you taking it?

"It's better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one than to have an opportunity and not be prepared." -- Whitney Young Jr.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Occasionally Bannned

im giving it a fair trial but the verdict will soon be issued and judgement served.

`

"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses."

And thou shalt eat it as barley cakes, and thou shalt bake it with dung that cometh out of man, in their sight.

Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ***.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 01:31 PM
Spectacular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foh_Teej
im giving it a fair trial but the verdict will soon be issued and judgement served.
sounds good

"It's better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one than to have an opportunity and not be prepared." -- Whitney Young Jr.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 07:15 PM
Permanently Banned

It doesn't sedate me, but it gives me a very dry mouth, a classic TCA side effect.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Occasionally Bannned

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraShy
It doesn't sedate me, but it gives me a very dry mouth, a classic TCA side effect.

I was at least expecting sedation but no effect what so ever that i could tell. I suppose thats a good thing but ultimately, did it reduce my anxiety? Not in the slightest. I try to reserve researching meds and even posting about them on SAS before i give them a fair shot so I dont develope a predisposition on how it may or may not affect me. I see now its talked about little on here and for good reason-- it sucks for SA. I go see my doc tomorrow and I figure its either upping this to 100mg or going with yet another med thats shown little efficacy with SA.

`

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 01:52 AM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
I see now its talked about little on here and for good reason-- it sucks for SA. I go see my doc tomorrow and I figure its either upping this to 100mg or going with yet another med thats shown little efficacy with SA.
Well, if we didn't talk about meds that sucked for SA there would be no mention of Buspar either, but that one comes up vastly more often than all the TCAs combined.

TCAs don't come up very often for a number of reason. A few I can think of:

- unlike newer brand name drugs they have no cheerleaders to drop off free samples and tell your doc how this "wonder drug" will cure all ills

-TCAs were largely forgotten and replaced by SSRIs. Young docs would have been in elementary school when TCAs were the leading ADs.

-TCAs can cause fatal ODs; eating a whole bottle of an SSRI won't cause any harm, so there is the safety issue.

-From all I've read TCAs don't seem very effective with SA, but then I can't say SSRIs have proven to be wonder drugs in most cases. It's actually rather hard to say how badly TCAs work as so few use them for SA. Typically they're only used as sleep aids -- and the sedation typical of TCAs could also help explain why they're not used so much. Some docs might want their patients awake once in a while.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 12:02 PM
SAS Member

I take endep to help me sleep sometimes and it drops my mood in a big way, for me it's like instant depression in a pill. Then when it wears off, i'm on an upper.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 04:59 PM
You can do this!

My Mood: Cheerful

Typical therapeutic doses for doxepin are 75-150 mg per day, sometimes going up to 300mg. This is much more than you are currently taking, and that might explain the absence of any effects.

http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/doxepin_ids.htm

Medication-related posts are for brainstorming purposes only. Talk to your doctor.

My meds: Parnate, Lamictal, Wellbutrin, trazodone
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 06:53 AM
SAS Member

Indeed, the recommended dose for severe depression is 150 mg per day (although I'm not sure about SA).

I tapered off it a while back, and I'm now on 150 mg of amitriptyline per day. It's the oldest anti-depressant on the market, and doctors very rarely prescribe it anymore as it's toxic in overdose and has a lot of side effects.

Well guess what? It works like a treat for me. I'm careful not to exceed the dose as it can leads to cardiac arrest (apparently), but on the regular dose, even the so-called side-effects (sedation, mainly) are welcome, since my natural state is to be wired, agitated and have difficulty sleeping. Unlike the SSRIs I've been on in the past, it doesn't seem to destroy my sex drive either.

Like a bird on the wire
Like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Occasionally Bannned

Im well aware of the typical dose and the lethal dose at that. Thing is, im not depressed. My dose was simply what the NP gave me; it does not do anything at this dose.

`

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 04:38 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Im well aware of the typical dose and the lethal dose at that. Thing is, im not depressed. My dose was simply what the NP gave me; it does not do anything at this dose.
You're probably best off either upping the dose or telling your doctor that it's not doing anything for you then. Maybe you should say to your doctor that the dose you're on isn't having any effect for you and that you'd like to try something else?

Like a bird on the wire
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Occasionally Bannned

im already on something else. 2 somethings actually; hydroxyzine and gabapentin.--both just as useless for SA. The hydroxyzine sledge hammers my skull and didnt do anything for SA. Hundreds could have already said gabapentin does jack but Id figured id give that a whirl as well but the jaundice I got from it doesnt bode well for anxieties...not to mention my liver.

`

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 01:38 AM
SAS Member

Hmm .. can't comment on those other drugs as I've never been on them myself, and I don't know much about their usefulness for SA either (asperger's syndrome and clinical depression are what I have, although the copmbination does result in a degree of social anxiety too, but probably not as severe as yours). I was just suggesting amitriptyline because, of all the anti-depressants, it seems to have the most calming effect (which may or may not be useful for SA). It enabled me to stop using benzos, which was a positive step as I was becoming addicted to them.

Like a bird on the wire

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page