Doxepin - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Doxepin

Does any one know anything about this medication? I think I need to switch to something else. The Wellbutrin isn't really working all that great. Any suggestions? I also thought about going back on prozac. I still take Klonopin so I just need something to go along with it. Something that won't make me a zombie.

Angel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 01:25 PM
You can do this!

My Mood: Cheerful

re: Doxepin

What is it that you want by taking a different medication?

Doxepin is...

tertiary TCA
NE reuptake inhibition ++
5-HT reuptake inhibition +
5-HT2a antagonist ++
ACh(m) antagonist
H1 antagonist +++
H2 antagonist +++
NE-alpha1 antagonist

- http://sl.schofield3.home.att.net/medic ... chart.html

Medication-related posts are for brainstorming purposes only. Talk to your doctor.

My meds: Parnate, Lamictal, Wellbutrin, trazodone
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

The Wellbutrin is getting to exspensive so I thought one of those prozac or Doxepin would be helpful to me and they are on the Walmart 4$ program. I can hardly afford my meds. anymore. I have taken prozac but I have never heard anything about doxepin. I was just wanting some advice on which is better for me to take for anxiety and OCD.

Angel

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 10:52 PM
Permanently Banned

It's great if you enjoy a dry mouth, though any TCA can do that.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 08:12 AM
SAS Member

If you don't wanna be a "zombie", then you may wanna look into a different AD, since Doxepin is known for the extreme sedation it carries.

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." -Hunter S. Thompson
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 11:11 AM
Permanently Banned

Re: re: Doxepin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speak Easy
If you don't wanna be a "zombie", then you may wanna look into a different AD, since Doxepin is known for the extreme sedation it carries.
It and other TCAs don't sedate me, but then I've been described as "not human"
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Thanks for your replys.....I take Elavil to help me sleep. And I just read that Doxepin is a lot like it so it will make me a zombie. I think I will just stick this out and try to be able to pay for my Wellbutrin. I am prescribed 150mg twice a day but for about a few weeks have only been taking 150mg once a day so that will save me some money. It is so hard to afford these medications. Why can't all generics be on the walmart list...........

Angel
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 08:02 PM
You can do this!

My Mood: Cheerful

A higher dose of Elavil would likely be as effective as any additional doxepin.

All TCAs are pretty cheap. Nortryptiline is one of the better ones (IMO) if you want one for its antidepressant effects, as opposed to taking a really hefty antihistmine. Desipramine is also pretty good, and sometimes a nice ADD/insomnia remedy.

Slight diversion:
The combination of Prozac and low-dose desipramine is a very clever one, in the right hands of a sharp doctor. You might bring it up w/ your doc. The synergistic SRI and NRI activity is cool, the two drugs bring each others' levels up due to enzyme interactions (allowing subtherapeutic, and therefore less expensive, doses to be used), and the sedation from desipramine is sometimes a good antidote to insomnia from Prozac. Damn, maybe I should try this...

Medication-related posts are for brainstorming purposes only. Talk to your doctor.

My meds: Parnate, Lamictal, Wellbutrin, trazodone
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 08:48 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraShy
Quote:
It and other TCAs don't sedate me, but then I've been described as "not human"
That's right, Karl, you're a martian! Have you ever considered the antipsychotic Loxitane? It's probably the most powerful antipsychotic on the market (highest combo of dopaminergic and serotonergic effects).

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." -Hunter S. Thompson
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 11:42 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caedmon
Slight diversion:
The combination of Prozac and low-dose desipramine is a very clever one, in the right hands of a sharp doctor. You might bring it up w/ your doc. The synergistic SRI and NRI activity is cool, the two drugs bring each others' levels up due to enzyme interactions (allowing subtherapeutic, and therefore less expensive, doses to be used), and the sedation from desipramine is sometimes a good antidote to insomnia from Prozac. Damn, maybe I should try this...
http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/for ... i+nri.html

I beat you to it Sorta...

Rx:
Wellbutrin SR 300mg, Eskalith CR 900mg, Luvox 100mg

Things I have tried:
Lexapro, Zoloft, Celexa, Prozac, Paxil, Effexor XR, Remeron, Wellbutrin SR, Eskalith CR, Topamax, Valium, Xanax, Ativan, Ambien, Restoril, Desyrel, Ritalin, Adderall, Dexedrine, Inderal, Lopressor, Thorazine, Lamictal, Abilify, Depakote, Geodon, Seroquel, doxepin, chloral hydrate
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 03:13 AM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Have you ever considered the antipsychotic Loxitane?
Never even heard of it. If I don't know what it is after 7+ years of spending endless hours on anxiety forums it must be mighty rare in use against SA.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 06:26 AM
SAS Member

I am actually being weened off Doxepin right now. Doxepin in the generic name for sinequan it is a pretty old medication. it came out before prozac. I was taking it for depression and anxiety. It does make you really tired which is why i take it before bed. Because its so old there are tons of side effects. such as weight gain, that was my huge problem and thats why im getting off of it. It worked okay for me, besides the fact i gained 10 pounds in just a few weeks.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page