doxepin - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
up an down, here we go!!

doxepin

pdoc just started me on this. hoping that it would help with insomnia. i can take anywhere from 50-200mg depending on the dosage that works. so far i'm taking 100mg at night and it's not working so i am going to try 150mg. i know that this is a pretty old tca, just wondering if anyone has tried this? pros? cons?

my nightly combo is: dioxepin 50-200mg, xanax 2-3mg, and flexeril 10mg (which my neuro prescribed to see if it would help any with the intractable migraines). even at these amounts, i'm still not sleeping - either not being drowsy or finally falling asleep but waking up several times.

we did try lunesta (blah) and i wanted to try ambien again, but it's not generic yet and with my insurance i'm not going to pay the highest co-pay for something that i don't know will work. especially since it's the same price as ambien cr.

Dx: BiPolar, Intractable Migraines, Social & General Anxiety, Idiopathic Seizures 7/07

Current Rx: Seroquel, Lamictal, Zanaflex

Rx: I have been on just about everything once. Anti-Depressants, Anti-Convulsants, Anti-Psychotics, Benzos, etc.

last.fm
facebook
myspace
tumblr
formspring.me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 12:47 PM

You sure you have that spelled right?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
up an down, here we go!!

aka - Sinequan (doxepin)

duh - all these meds messing with my head! lol

Dx: BiPolar, Intractable Migraines, Social & General Anxiety, Idiopathic Seizures 7/07

Rx: I have been on just about everything once. Anti-Depressants, Anti-Convulsants, Anti-Psychotics, Benzos, etc.

last.fm
facebook
myspace
tumblr
formspring.me

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 09:13 AM
SAS Member

I don't have any personal experience with it, but I have read that it's supposed to be good as a sleep aid.

I guess it's sort of like trazodone in that respect. They're both old antidepressants that are now used more often as sleep aids. I take trazodone for my insomnia, and 150mg seems to be my effective dosage.

It probably couldn't hurt to increase the doxepin until you find an effective dosage. Just be sure to keep it within the range you specified. I've read that TCAs can sometimes get dangerous at dosages that are too high.

Good luck!

PS: 3mg Xanax and 10mg Flexeril doesn't help you get to sleep at all? That's crazy. I've never had experience with a muscle relaxant, but I take 4mg of Xanax per day, and usually 1mg of it at a time dampens my mind enough to allow me to take a nap or go to sleep for the night if that's what I'm aiming for.

Rx:
Wellbutrin SR 300mg, Eskalith CR 900mg, Luvox 100mg

Things I have tried:
Lexapro, Zoloft, Celexa, Prozac, Paxil, Effexor XR, Remeron, Wellbutrin SR, Eskalith CR, Topamax, Valium, Xanax, Ativan, Ambien, Restoril, Desyrel, Ritalin, Adderall, Dexedrine, Inderal, Lopressor, Thorazine, Lamictal, Abilify, Depakote, Geodon, Seroquel, doxepin, chloral hydrate
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 02:24 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by korey
I don't have any personal experience with it, but I have read that it's supposed to be good as a sleep aid.

I guess it's sort of like trazodone in that respect.
Yeah, both are antidepressants commonly used as sleep aids due to the side effect of drowsiness. Doxepin & other TCAs didn't seem to do anything for me with regard to sleep -- very good at producing an ultra-dry mouth though, a classic TCA side effect.

If 3 mg of Xanax isn't putting firedancer to sleep I kind of doubt that Ambien would work, since it basically acts like a benzo except it's more specific. Ambien tries to target only the benzos receptors for sleep, while real benzos are non-specific and hit any & all benzo receptors.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
up an down, here we go!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraShy
If 3 mg of Xanax isn't putting firedancer to sleep I kind of doubt that Ambien would work, since it basically acts like a benzo except it's more specific. Ambien tries to target only the benzos receptors for sleep, while real benzos are non-specific and hit any & all benzo receptors.
i don't like having to take that much xanax at one time and every night. i figured that i would try ambien again once it's a generic since my insurance is paying for all generics til the end of the year.

most meds work for me for 1-2 nights and actually really feel like they are going work long termish and then BAM - the next night - nothing.

my pdoc told me that he can take 5mg of flexeril (i'm taking 10mg) and it knocks him out.

last.fm
facebook
myspace
tumblr
formspring.me
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 07:19 PM
SAS Member

Ambien and most of the super expensive sleep aids are just dirty benzos. They just hit different gaba receptors and miss out on all the other positive effects of benzos. Its like paying for a $20,000 car and receiving a $5,000 toyota.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
up an down, here we go!!

yea, but i had rather take something like that than to continue with xanax. i've tried klonopin, depakote (taken at night), seroquel (combined with depakote), trileptal (taken at night), neurontin (taken at night) and lunesta and nothing has worked, yet. even the 3mgs that i take of xanax doesn't make my drowsy. my pdoc seems to think that i just metabolize meds quickly.

ps - they may be other combos that i've tried that didn't work, but my mind is mush right now and i can't remember

last.fm
facebook
myspace
tumblr
formspring.me
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 07:24 AM
You can do this!

My Mood: Cheerful
That is getting up into a higher range of doxepin. I tend to think of Doxepin as primarily an antihistamine with some TCA action, wrt mechanism of action. I assume you know the side effect profile of anticholinergic, weight gain, &c. It does often sedate people.

Medication-related posts are for brainstorming purposes only. Talk to your doctor.

My meds: Parnate, Lamictal, Wellbutrin, trazodone
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 10:14 AM
Spectacular Member

If you want to know the true meaning of sleep, take Remeron.

"It's better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one than to have an opportunity and not be prepared." -- Whitney Young Jr.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page