dosage.. - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

dosage..

I was on Celexa for several months and paxil for several months. My psy didn't want me to go higher than 40mg since he said that if I wasn't getting any benefit at 40mg, I shouldn't bother going up to 60mg+

I want to know how accurate that is. Maybe the perfect medication for me could have been 80mg of Celexa, but when I was at 40mg it had no effect.

methylenedioxymethamphetamine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 09:16 PM
dss

Well what your doctor did is probably pretty accurate.

Celexa seems to range in doses from 10-60mg. The fact that you were on 40mg and saw no benefit most likely means going another 20mg wouldn't have done anything significant. Of course there are cases where going higher sometimes helps people but generally they show some benefits at the lower doses but it just isn't enough. Paxil seems to be on the same 10-60mg range too so the same holds true for that.

Instead of focusing on higher doses the next thing I would do would be to look at a new med. Since you've tried 2 SSRI's then possibly look at Wellbutrin or Cymbalta as they act different.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 09:25 PM
Spectacular Member

I would go up to 60mgs anyways and see if it does anything, wouldn't hurt to try before ditching that med and going onto the next.

"It's better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one than to have an opportunity and not be prepared." -- Whitney Young Jr.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 09:34 PM
dss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noca View Post
I would go up to 60mgs anyways and see if it does anything, wouldn't hurt to try before ditching that med and going onto the next.
That is true. If your still on Celexa or Paxil at 40mg going up to 60mg isn't going to hurt you and you don't really need your doctors ok to do it. Of course going above the max recommended dose isn't something you should do without a doctor.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 10:58 PM
SAS Member

Hmm I read the replies in this thread with utmost interest.

I am on 10mg lexapro which works for GAD but not completely, and from what you say it is better to raise it to 15mg before going to the doctor for a different ssri. But since lexapro is the only ssri that I used, I was wondering if another ssri has better results on me personally.

In general for an adult male, what is the average dose of lexapro for GAD, SA and OCB?

thanks
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 08:20 AM
dss

Quote:
Originally Posted by preza View Post
Hmm I read the replies in this thread with utmost interest.

I am on 10mg lexapro which works for GAD but not completely, and from what you say it is better to raise it to 15mg before going to the doctor for a different ssri. But since lexapro is the only ssri that I used, I was wondering if another ssri has better results on me personally.

In general for an adult male, what is the average dose of lexapro for GAD, SA and OCB?

thanks
Well raising doses of any med should usually only be done with doctors consent. If you were to raise your dose yourself and have it help you then you would probably need to discuss it with your doctor to get enough pills for the future. Keep that in mind as to how they would react to it.

With that said it seems like the max dose for Lexapro is 20mg a day. Take it slow if you do decide to bump yourself up to 15 or 20 as you may get some side effects.

I personally have a doctor where I can adjust my doses a bit once I'm past the starting phase. Not everyone has a doctor like this and some can be very strict and if you did that would not see you anymore. If it's possible it's always best to talk to them first and suggest going to a higher dose , most will probably have no problem doing that.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 10:33 PM
SAS Member

Thanks dss, where I live i can buy lexapro (cipralex) without prescription at any pharmacy, so I can adjust the dose myself if I wish.

Lexapro has improved my anxiety a lot, but I still need some help on OCB and intrusive thoughts and I am convinced that I need a step more, therefore I asked if it is better to increase lexapro or jump to another ssri.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 08:16 AM
dss

Quote:
Originally Posted by preza View Post
Thanks dss, where I live i can buy lexapro (cipralex) without prescription at any pharmacy, so I can adjust the dose myself if I wish.

Lexapro has improved my anxiety a lot, but I still need some help on OCB and intrusive thoughts and I am convinced that I need a step more, therefore I asked if it is better to increase lexapro or jump to another ssri.
In that case I would not hesitate to go to 20mg and give it a bit before you try something else.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page