Does Lamictal increase GABA-B? if not, what meds do? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Does Lamictal increase GABA-B? if not, what meds do?

I'm hoping that if I start on Lamictal, it will increase the amount of GABA-B since this seems to be what makes Phenibut work so well, and also alcohol in some ways.... if Lamictal doesn't do this, what would? (apart from Baclofen, Phenibut and GHB obviously)

-Would Abilify low-dose increase GABA-B?
-Would Lamictal in the 25-50mg range (or higher I guess)?
-Anything else?

thanks in advance to all who reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 10:37 PM
SAS Member

I can't speak for gaba-b, but I'm currently on Lamictal, and it's the most effective medication I've tried so far. It's stiil very subtle and not quite enough. I didn't feel anything real noticeable until 200mg, and even then it only lasted a few hours before wearing off.

I am not a doctor. Everything I know is from personal experience and my own research, so take it with a grain of salt.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 08:07 AM
You can do this!

My Mood: Cheerful
Do you mean, a GABA(B) agonist, or an increase in # of receptors?

I think a number of antidepressants increase receptors for GABA(B).

Nardil, I'm not sure what it does with GABA(B) receptor #s. However since it increases GABA levels, that right there would increase binding much like an agonist would.

Medication-related posts are for brainstorming purposes only. Talk to your doctor.

My meds: Parnate, Lamictal, Wellbutrin, trazodone

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 12:05 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caedmon View Post

Nardil, I'm not sure what it does with GABA(B) receptor #s. However since it increases GABA levels, that right there would increase binding much like an agonist would.
Lamictal increase gaba b as baclofene or in another way?
lamictal help you for S.A caedmon ?howdose you take ?

Thank you
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caedmon View Post

I feel that for the most part, Nardil has unfortunately kind of pooped out on me... Phenibut (which is a Baclofen analogue, I believe) in doses of 500mgs to 1 gram really helps both my mood and cognition, so I was assuming perhaps I've acquired a tolerance to the GABAergic effects of Nardil and need to enhance/boost it with something prescription similar in nature to the Phenibut, or likewise something that is very similar in action; hence, the question about GABA-B receptor agonism or activation/whatever would cause the positive effects of Phenibut.

In my own personal theory, I think my Nardil is currently making my mind too obsessive & overfocused, perhaps too much norepinephrine or similar, but I believe something GABAergic in a different way than just simple benzodiazepenes (such as Lamictal, which increases GABA indirectly in the hippocampal region I think and also other ways) or other things that affect GABA-B and perhaps increase dopamine also if thats another reason the phenibut might work so well.. or even something about glutamate/GABA balance? I don't know. But I strongly believe I'm Bipolar II (many phobias, depression with atypical features, social anxiety, sometimes what looks like occassional irritable hypomania, etc).
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 12:18 PM
SAS Member

I've been taking 200 mg Lamictal for about 2 years. At first I noticed a great improvement, migraines went away.

A couple weeks ago I stopped taking it cold turkey for like 4 days. Migraines came back, felt depressed all the time.

IDK. I really can't notice any effect on anxiety from Lamictal. I do know it makes my short term memory messed up. I'll goto the kitchen and forget what I'm getting. Like example, I'll go to get some vitamins and I'll look in the fridge... annoying.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page