Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Depression from long term ritalin and valium use?

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Disillusioned Familiar 
#1 ·
Hi,

I've been struggling very much with depression lately and have been trying to pinpoint the reason. I have a history of clinical depression since childhood and was treated successfully for it, and it has been about 7 years since I've felt seriously affected by depression- or had strong feelings of hopelessness, anger, apathy, and self-harm/suicidal thoughts. All these feelings have been coming back in the past month at full force.

I consider my personal life to be stressful but not depression inducing- I graduated from college 6 months ago and am working 2 jobs and getting by, though not without some financial struggle. I have a good support system through friends and have all my needs met except maybe getting enough sleep.

I have been on ritalin for ADHD for 6 years- 20-60mg a day, and 5mg valium a day for anxiety and treatment of meniere's disease for about 1 year now. I have read that both of these drugs can cause depression, especially in long term use, and wanted to know if anyone has had experience with serious depression as a side effect of one or both drugs with extended use.

My depression is starting to seriously affect my daily life and relationships. I am scared and want to try and ween myself off one or both medications but worried about the adjustment period with my hectic schedule. I definitely do not want to add anymore medications such as an antidepressant. I ordered some SAM-e and st johns wart supplements today and am hopeful they may help in natural treatment.

Any advice would be appreciated.

See less See more
#3 ·
Take a look at a book called "The Depression Cure: The 6-Step Program to Beat Depression without Drugs" by Stephen Ilardi. I know it's a cheesy title but it's actually pretty sound research.

You can see one of his lectures at youtube.

Do you take Ritalin daily or do you have intermittent breaks?

#4 ·
Take a look at a book called "The Depression Cure: The 6-Step Program to Beat Depression without Drugs" by Stephen Ilardi. I know it's a cheesy title but it's actually pretty sound research.
If you seriously believed in that why would you be taking: My meds- Parnate, Lamictal, Adderall, Trazodone (August 2015)?

That a lot of meds for someone who believes in a med-free cure.

Karl

#5 ·
I don't reject meds as a treatment option for myself or anyone else. That's just the book title. OP was hoping to treat his depression without meds and the book has a lot of good behavioral treatment techniques. You might get all the info you need from the youtube lecture though.

#6 ·
I've been on benzos (e.g valium) for YEARS just in order to function properly or leave the house. When i had a job these drugs were the only way I got by. Addicted to them as i am, after all this time i have noticed incredibly bad side effects from something you see as being a drug with no real come down or pitfalls at all. One day i will try to get off benzos, but even just knowing that you need this drug to live a normal life is depressing in itself. It also provides a different more relaxed sense of reality when you are on it and once the effects wear off you can end up feeling worse and more depressed. Benzo's are a miracle cure for anxiety and often depression but 9 times out of 10 you will be left feeling let down if you take them long term, never mind the damage they do to your memory. Steer clear of valium if you do not need them for immediate relief from a very anxious and disturbing situation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.