Clonazepam/Klonopin and paranoia - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Bored

Clonazepam/Klonopin and paranoia

Has anyone here experienced feelings of paranoia from taking clonazepam?

I take it as needed, usually 3-4 times a week, 0.25-0.5mg each time. I'm also taking Nardil 75mg.

The past couple of weeks I've been using clonazepam a bit more than usual. No real reason, just been a little less disciplined. I also find I sleep better if I've taken it during the day.

The past few days I've been feeling really paranoid. Like people are watching me, out to get me, and something bad is about to happen.

I haven't taken the benzo for a couple of days and the feelings of paranoia have subsided.

A bit of googling shows that paranoia can be caused by clonazepam, but usually with long-term use. I've been using it for a while, but like I said not every day, more intermittently. I've gone a week or so without it at times.

I'm just interested to hear if anyone's had a similar experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 10:01 PM
SAS Member

Oh my god yess, at first it worked for my social anxiety but after some time passed I started to freak out whenever I hear some sounds at night or whenever someone calls me.....
It was terrible for me, my dr stopped it.
Hope you are fine!!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Thanks for sharing. It's reassuring to hear someone else had a similar experience with clonazepam. I thought I was going mad.

I wasn't aware this med could cause paranoia. I thought the danger was more with rebound anxiety when you stopped taking it.

I suspected it must be the clonazepam causing it because it's the only thing I could think of that I'd changed with my meds, i.e. taking it more often.

It's a shame because it helps a lot with my anxiety in general. I've been going through some stress at work. But it gets to the point where the paranoid thoughts create more anxiety.

Do you know if clonazepam's particularly bad for this, or is it something to be aware of with benzos in general?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 09:29 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Asleep
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtd1974 View Post
Has anyone here experienced feelings of paranoia from taking clonazepam?

I take it as needed, usually 3-4 times a week, 0.25-0.5mg each time. I'm also taking Nardil 75mg.

The past couple of weeks I've been using clonazepam a bit more than usual. No real reason, just been a little less disciplined. I also find I sleep better if I've taken it during the day.

The past few days I've been feeling really paranoid. Like people are watching me, out to get me, and something bad is about to happen.

I haven't taken the benzo for a couple of days and the feelings of paranoia have subsided.

A bit of googling shows that paranoia can be caused by clonazepam, but usually with long-term use. I've been using it for a while, but like I said not every day, more intermittently. I've gone a week or so without it at times.

I'm just interested to hear if anyone's had a similar experience.
Yes! I've been taking Klonopin 2 mg (in 3 split doses) everyday for the past several years. I had to go off it once, for several days, and I noticed a decrease in paranoia, which was walking from my front door of my house to my car, parked in the driveway outside. Normally, on Klonopin, I feel like everyone in the neighborhood is looking at me, and I have lots of anxiety walking from my house to the car outside. When I had to go off Klonopin, I noticed that paranoia disappeared.

The same things goes for when I'm outside, getting out of my car and walking to a place, like a hair salon. I feel like all eyes are on me, and it's uncomfortable.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shana View Post
Yes! I've been taking Klonopin 2 mg (in 3 split doses) everyday for the past several years. I had to go off it once, for several days, and I noticed a decrease in paranoia, which was walking from my front door of my house to my car, parked in the driveway outside. Normally, on Klonopin, I feel like everyone in the neighborhood is looking at me, and I have lots of anxiety walking from my house to the car outside. When I had to go off Klonopin, I noticed that paranoia disappeared.

The same things goes for when I'm outside, getting out of my car and walking to a place, like a hair salon. I feel like all eyes are on me, and it's uncomfortable.
Thanks for the reply shana and for sharing your experience. It's strange that such an effective anti-anxiety drug can do this after continued use.

I've been feeling better after leaving the clonazepam alone for a few days. Like you say, the paranoia seems to subside fairly quickly.

I have been kind of jumpy though ... loud noises scare the s**t out of me, and if someone brushes against me unexpectedly as they squeeze past it makes me flinch. Hopefully this will pass soon.

I'll have to be careful to keep the clonaz for only occasional use, such as when I've got a stressful situation or similar to deal with.

I do like my substances though, and am very prone to developing "habits", both for calming stuff like benzos and the more stimulating s**t

You've been on Klonopin for a while. You must've built up quite a tolerance, or does it still work ok for you? Do you think you'll try to come off it at some point and switch to a different medication?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page