Celexa 40mg...Will it work? Please let it work... - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Celexa 40mg...Will it work? Please let it work...

I have been on Celexa 20mg for about 6 weeks then 3 days ago I went up to 40mg.

I pray to God that this works because I have tried Paxil CR, Lexapro, Zoloft, Wellbutrin, Seroquel, Ativan, and Klonopin in the past.

The Klonopin helped in the past but it was by no means a long term solution cause I ended up becoming massively tolerant and dependent.

I am now on Xanax to take as needed but I also need something for my everyday anxiety. This is what Celexa is supposed to help with.

I find that its very hard to tell if an SSRI is working. None of the previous SSRI's worked. I have noticed on 20mg that my thoughts became slightly more rational and I do think that Celexa may have cut about 5% of my anxiety at the 20mg dose.

I am hoping that because I am getting side effects (insomnia, extreme appetite loss, sexual side effects, headache) that I will eventually get the intended effects as well. I am also thinking that I have displayed a partial response to Celexa whereas I dont think I responded at all to the others.

Im looking for others opinions and experiences on Celexa or other SSRI's. I am really looking for any solution so if anyone has other suggestions on meds I should try, it will be appreciated.

I can accept nearly any side effect but the food/drug restrictions are too great for MAOI's that I would like to exhaust every option until I consider taking an MAOI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 09:39 PM
SAS Member

I don't see the point in trying Celexa if you already gave Lexapro (the active S-isomer) a chance.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 10:00 PM
SAS Member

Celexa was a joke for me; simply robbed me of my sex drive and that was it.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medline View Post
I don't see the point in trying Celexa if you already gave Lexapro (the active S-isomer) a chance.
I brought this point up with my pdoc and he still thought I should give it a shot. Part of the reason I am giving it a shot is because 1) it is very cheap and 2) I was drinking heavily when I was on the other SSRI's and I think it might have affected how they were supposed to work.

When I drank heavily on SSRI's the hangover was to say the least quite bad. I would wake up and be hit with a panic attack immediately and the rest of the day I was anxious and depressed. I think maybe this affected how the SSRI was supposed to work but I dont have any evidence for this. The drinking is not an issue anymore cause I eventually decided I didnt want to be an alcoholic.

If you know of any SSRI's that aren't closely related to Paxil, Lexapro/Celexa, or Zoloft I will bring it up with my pdoc if the Celexa doesn't work.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 10:18 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
I was drinking heavily when I was on the other SSRI's and I think it might have affected how they were supposed to work.
That's an important point. Heavy alcohol use can render antidepressants ineffective. Now you can give Celexa a sober chance.

Quote:
If you know of any SSRI's that aren't closely related to Paxil, Lexapro/Celexa, or Zoloft I will bring it up with my pdoc if the Celexa doesn't work.
If 3 or 4 SSRIs haven't worked, chances are very low the fifths will do it (But you already wrote you drank heavily while on some of the ADs). In general if 2 SSRIs don't work an SNRI like Effexor XR should be tried next. I don't know why some doctors think they must use every available SSRI on their patients, that's not what's written in the books in the chapter "treatment resistance".
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 11:04 PM
SAS Member

I have been on Nardil since January (90mg since mid-February) and it's working amazingly well. If as you say you can handle side-effects for a couple of months you should seriously consider trying this drug.

You say that you're concerned about the food/drug interactions? Since I've been taking Nardil the only thing I avoid eating is large blocks of cheese. I eat anything else within reason and have had ABSOLUTELY no problem at all. The food restrictions are WAY overblown. I eat small amounts of cheese in nachos and other food and there is simply nothing that happens. I was paranoid at first but it was all for nothing.

Over the course of the first three months or so you will have to endure some side effects like dry mouth, dizzy spells when standing too quickly, for a couple of days my feet felt like cement blocks, jerks when you're sleeping, anorgasmia (which is a bummer but mine is finally starting to ware off!). Also insomnia which can be relieved with natural melatonin. All of these side effects will go away in time.

By the looks of the list of meds you've tried you owe it to yourself to try this med and talk with your doc and convince him of it. If he refuses find another doc. Keep in mind you'll have to endure about three months of side effects but they are absolutely worth it. This drug has made my life better by 100% and that is no exaggeration. It has made EVERY aspect of my life better.

When I peruse this medication thread it bums me out that people are still searching for something that will make them feel better. I can't believe how good this stuff is. Sometimes I have to pinch myself to make sure it's real.

Good luck to you!

p.s. There's been talk about how much better the old Nardil was vs the new one. In my experience that simply has NOT been the case. I can't imagine what the old one was like if this one is this good.

Also, I have gained no weight on Nardil as I have had a very healthy diet for a long time and exercise and do serious cardio exercise five times per week. If you're prone to weight gain I would recommend you begin an exercise program (at least a good cardio program) to keep from gaining weight.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 11:24 PM
SAS Member

At one point I was on Celexa. And surprisingly it worked... for a few months... then I was back to square one.

I am also on an MAOI, but it's Parnate. The one thing I find annoying is the tendency for insomnia to increase when increasing a maintenance dose. I noticed that also when I was taking Nardil prior to going on Parnate.

"Trying and failing is better than failing to try"
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 11:29 PM
SAS Member

Yes insomnia can be a pain but I've adjusted.

Did you see any benefits from Nardil? What caused you to quit?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 11:34 PM
SAS Member

IMHO Parnate should be the primary MAOI, Nardil has far more side effects.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 11:37 PM
SAS Member

Yes, it certainly does. I've never tried Parnate but Nardil works so damn well for social anxiety that I just decided that it was worth it to overcome the bad to get the good. And it has worked for me

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page