Bupropion for tobacco addiction. - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2020, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
zkv
SAS Member

Bupropion for tobacco addiction.

Hello everyone. K so here's my situation: I've been a heavy smoker for nearly 10 years now. I've regretted that first cigarette ever since I dropped the self-destructive attitude that led me to it, and I'm regretting it more every passing day since it's began to affect my health, and from experience I know it gets real ugly by the end. I brought it up with my psychiatrist and she recommended this Bupropion drug. I read a bit about it and some of the contraindications and side-effects kinda scared the crap out of me (for example increase of suicidal ideation which I've lived with for many years; there are other worrisome ones). It ain't cheap either, so that's another thing, don't wanna spend on something that might bring more bad than good. On the other hand it being used as antidepressant means it's possible it could get me out of the funks I dive into from time to time.

In short, has anyone tried this one, either for depression or to quit smoking? What's been your experience, be it positive or negative?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2020, 07:39 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sad
I never used it for to quit smoking, but my friend did and it helped her. I used it for depression and it worked for a while.. Good luck!

She was a smoker for like 20 years or more (but around her early 50s her children were telling her to quit and she had other health issues too like anxiety, chronic illnesses , etc ..so she had no choice but to quit) and for the last 5 years I haven't seen her touch a cigarette ..so I am happy it helped her but i assume therapy and her kids supported her too, maybe you can look into some books? or if there's a support group near you? (i know it will be hard right now so probably online support group or a book)

good luck
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2020, 01:54 PM
SAS Member

It may help. It's no cure all; you'll still have to put in a tremendous effort to quit successfully. If you're over 25, then risk of suicidal ideation from antidepressants goes down drastically (if not completely).

All your fears are an illusion; they are immaterial; they do not exist.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
zkv
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysmurf View Post
I never used it for to quit smoking, but my friend did and it helped her. I used it for depression and it worked for a while.. Good luck!

She was a smoker for like 20 years or more (but around her early 50s her children were telling her to quit and she had other health issues too like anxiety, chronic illnesses , etc ..so she had no choice but to quit) and for the last 5 years I haven't seen her touch a cigarette ..so I am happy it helped her but i assume therapy and her kids supported her too, maybe you can look into some books? or if there's a support group near you? (i know it will be hard right now so probably online support group or a book)

good luck
Thanks. Yeah apparently this drug goes hand in hand with a support group. My psychiatrist is still telling me to take it without the group thing, but this guy I had to talk to on the phone didn't prescribe it to me 'cause I'm not doing the group. Which is hilarious because right now there is no group. Don't they still owe their souls to the pharmaceutical companies, these psychiatrists? Just gimme the drug, all of the drugs, and take my money. But no, no luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by loneliness View Post
It may help. It's no cure all; you'll still have to put in a tremendous effort to quit successfully. If you're over 25, then risk of suicidal ideation from antidepressants goes down drastically (if not completely).
I'm sure it will take lots of effort either way, but I'll take all the help I can get. Good to hear I'm out of the woods, at least with that specific side-effect. Thanks for responding.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 02:54 PM
England

Once your past like a few days no smoking it's easy that's the hardest
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2020, 09:56 AM
S F C 0 1

Language: English
My Mood: Amused
Champix (varenicline) is good for quitting.

After a week cigarettes taste different, then you start forgetting to light up at times you would usually. The day I gave up, I had a meeting up in London with some bigwigs which would usually mean I would puff away loads, but I didnt think about having a *** once during the day...I only realised in bed that night that I hadnt smoked all day, so just stopped from then.

Edit, apparently it can worsen depression though, just read about it. I didnt have any anxiety or depression when i used it.

Tell 'em who the **** I am

SFC

Last edited by D'avjo; 07-31-2020 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Just read something
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2020, 09:59 AM
S F C 0 1

Language: English
My Mood: Amused
Quote:
Originally Posted by James10145 View Post
Once your past like a few days no smoking it's easy that's the hardest

yeah, get past those first few days and you strengthen your resolve massively to give up.

I used to dream about smoking the few times I quit/

Tell 'em who the **** I am

SFC
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2020, 04:33 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Cool
I have been on it 5+ years for depression. It helps and also helps me focus. A few people I know have had success with quitting smoking on it. Great luck to you!

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

All about some Noca

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page