Botox for head tremor - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Botox for head tremor

I heard botox is used to treat ppl with essential tremor, so I think it might be effective for my head tremor. How long does it last and how expensive is it? And do you think my neurologist will agree to use it for my SA symptom?

Currently on: Depakine, Sediel, Klonopin, Prozac, Risperdal, Vitamin D, Calcium

Tried(Med.): Xanax, Valium, Ativan, Zoloft, Inderal, Tenormin, Paxil, Celexa, Lexapro, Adderall, Effexor, Emsam, Nardil, Seroquel, Zyprexa, Remeron, Lamictal, Abilify, Pristiq

Tried(Sup.): Vitamin B12, Magnesium, Kava Kava, Rhodiola Rosea, Omega-3

Tried(Therapy): CBT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Re: Botox for head tremor

Umm..does anyone know anything about botox??

Tried(Med.): Xanax, Valium, Ativan, Zoloft, Inderal, Tenormin, Paxil, Celexa, Lexapro, Adderall, Effexor, Emsam, Nardil, Seroquel, Zyprexa, Remeron, Lamictal, Abilify, Pristiq

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akstylish
Umm..does anyone know anything about botox??
Botox? lol... It doesn't seem like most people here would be big botox users. I don't know much about it, except that it temporarily paralyzes muscles in the face. As I'm sure you probably know, it was originally created from the clostridium bacteria that causes botulism poisoning, which can lead to death due to respiratory paralysis. As for the cosmetic application of botulism, I'm not really familiar with it. Sorry.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 12:59 PM
SAS Member

Still cant help but think you are going way overboard with the head trmor thing, but hey I guess that just sounds insensitive. I dunno man. If your docs cant see it and no one actually ever points it out (apart from your paranoia about coughs) then MAYBE it is something you FEEL more than other people NOTICE ....

But hey post a little video of it, without any exaggeration, and let us be the judge.

i know nothing about injecting biological warfare agents into my own body.

Ross

On to concentrate on bright things Stuck around in hopes to help, didnt seem like there was much left I could do anymore ... good luck and comfort to those who are on their own path and hope for those yet to take their first step! Much Love
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 05:10 PM

botox would only be a last resort after all other things have failed, learning relaxation should help
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeah_yeah_yeah
Still cant help but think you are going way overboard with the head trmor thing, but hey I guess that just sounds insensitive. I dunno man. If your docs cant see it and no one actually ever points it out (apart from your paranoia about coughs) then MAYBE it is something you FEEL more than other people NOTICE ....

But hey post a little video of it, without any exaggeration, and let us be the judge.

i know nothing about injecting biological warfare agents into my own body.

Ross
One thing I hate about psychologists is that if someone complains about something that sounds illogical, they ALWAYS conclude that he/she's paranoid. Well, I think they are the ones who are paranoid, even if they are right most of the time.

To give you some proof, I visited S. Korea to meet my friends last year. I was already suffering from head tremors and aware of every single cough I hear. But none of my friends EVER coughed in front of me at that time. Then I visited there again this summer,(my head tremor has got worse since last year) and every single friend of mine began to cough when they saw me. Same for my old teachers and relatives.

One thing even I don't understand is, however, that everyone I asked if they noticed my head tremble said no. This made me think I might be paranoid. But I still believe what I think because there's such obvious evidence that I'm right. Do you really think that everyone I met in my country began coughing this year because they all got cold or something? They might have said no because it's somehow difficult to tell me the truth or because their coughs are an unconscious response to my head tremor.

Plus, I found a few people here who complained about the same thing, and I'm sure there are more in the world. How the heck would they all become sensitive about coughing unless they hear it a lot more often after they suffer from head tremor? What kind of paranoid thought would make them think their head tremor makes other people cough?

I know you're trying to help, but I had to say this.

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 01:37 AM
SAS Member

I'm sorry buddy, I know I seem harsh - its actually more 'frustrated empathy' than being an a-hole. Its just that this quote in particular, when you read it back, just doesnt make sense:

Quote:
One thing even I don't understand is, however, that everyone I asked if they noticed my head tremble said no. This made me think I might be paranoid. But I still believe what I think because there's such obvious evidence that I'm right. Do you really think that everyone I met in my country began coughing this year because they all got cold or something? They might have said no because it's somehow difficult to tell me the truth or because their coughs are an unconscious response to my head tremor
So every single interaction you have goes like this:

AKStylish: Hi, my name is AKStylish
Person: Cough .. cough cough .. ahem hi AK ... cough ... how are .. a hack-hack-cough you?
AKStylish: Ohh nooooo ...

What is the obvious evidence, apart from you hearing coughs? Given that SA makes people ultra-sensitive to tiny indicators of disapproval or rejection, i can't help but think that for you this takes the form of coughs. If you were ultra-sensitive to hearing coughs (because you believe them to be a proof that your head is wobbling), you will hear them 100 times more than someone who isnt, but conclude that what you notice is evidence of people seeing the tremor that everyone else tells you isnt there. Then you prove to yourself they are 'just being nice' or that they THEMSELVES are unconscious of it. How about this - if they actually were unconscious of it, and were telling you the truth about it being unnoticable, then you have nothing to worry about. No one notices it. Where is the need to worry if a) they dont consciously notice it and b) their response is somehow outside the sphere of normal human awareness?

Maybe you are more relaxed around friends and family and so not so wired up to notice the coughs ... SA is after all often worse around strangers.

So sorry, I still think you're a bit paranoid, especially after reading the above, but hey I'm talking out of turn. I still think you're a cool guy, I just dont like to see someone suffering when I think there might be a simpler explanation. And what makes me feel worse for you is that I just dont think you are going to have any luck getting someone to treat you if they are totally unable to see your head wobbling at all. If you tell them that EVERYONE notices it, and you know this because they all cough, they will conclude the same as me - that you are overly-sensitive to it. Anyway I'm not getting anywhere and I'm just offending and upsetting you so I will leave you to explore your options. The relaxation one sounds quite good.

And I'm not a psychologist - though I'm flattered you think I am.

Ross

On to concentrate on bright things Stuck around in hopes to help, didnt seem like there was much left I could do anymore ... good luck and comfort to those who are on their own path and hope for those yet to take their first step! Much Love
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 12:08 PM
SAS Member

I'm confused as to how you connected head tremors with hearing other people cough. Do you think they're coughing BECAUSE of your head tremors? You're claiming you have "obvious evidence," and I'm curious what you've got as evidence.

From what I've read so far, at BEST, all you have is a post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy (after this therefore because of this). I'm also seeing some strange, universal statements ("they are the ones who are paranoid" , "everyone I met" , for example).

I've got one more question that's puzzling me.... WHY would people intentionally cough when they see you?? I don't get it, and you didn't give an explanation.

AIM: adamhoef

He ran because it grounded him in basics. There was both life and death in it; it was unadulterated by media hype, trivial cares, political meddling...It was all joy and woe, hard as a diamond; it made him weary beyond comprehension. But it also made him free.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 04:12 AM
SAS Member

I think we've upset him

We are meanies I feel bad.

Ross

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 04:25 AM
SAS Member

Hahah, I hope he's not upset. Definitely wasn't my intention.

Nice whipping smilie.

He ran because it grounded him in basics. There was both life and death in it; it was unadulterated by media hype, trivial cares, political meddling...It was all joy and woe, hard as a diamond; it made him weary beyond comprehension. But it also made him free.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Ok...forget it. I don't wanna explain the whole thing I'm going through again. I should've realized earlier it's impossible for anyone to understand me unless they're in my head. Anyway, I'm still gonna try botox and tell you if it works.

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 10:19 AM
SAS Member

Well, I'm not you, but we do have language, which does a fair job at allowing us to understand each other.

I read some of your previous posts from other threads, and I'm wondering if you at least intellectually agree that people aren't coughing because of you (aside from your feelings/fears that they are).

To put it bluntly... The world doesn't revolve around you, and people don't care enough to put the time/energy into organizing a conspiracy against you to all cough when they see you. I didn't get the "Cough at akstylish" memo myself, and yet if I coughed near you, I'd be one of "them" wouldn't I? The sooner you see how silly this is, at least intellectually, the better your chances of breaking this phobia will be.

I wish you good luck with the botox, although I don't see how this cosmetic change will reduce either your anxiety or your cough phobia.

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 10:27 AM
SAS Member

Botox stops muscles from contracting. It is used to paralyse the forehead muscles so that lines do not form or become less noticeable. AK is possibly considering injecting it into his neck.I cant remember what the doc said. Did he agree that you have essential tremor? I found this little snippet on the web:

Quote:
Close attention to where and how the tremor appears can help provide a correct diagnosis of the cause of the shaking. The source of the tremor can be diagnosed when the underlying condition is found. Diagnostic techniques that make images of the brain, such as computed tomography scan (CT scan) or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), may help form a diagnosis of multiple sclerosis or other tremor caused by disorders of the central nervous system. Blood tests can rule out such metabolic causes as thyroid disease. A family history can help determine whether the tremor is inherited.
Do you need a doc to send you for botox treatment?

Um hey I just had a thought - have you tried physiotherapy? It may help if you can have the muscles thoroughly worked over so at least the FEELING of the tremor lessens.

I honestly believe that you do FEEL your head is wobbling, but what I find hard to believe is the whole coughing thing. Its too random a way to react for EVERYONE to do it, and your theory that its a standard subconscious human reaction to a micro-wobbling head is just too far fetched.

Botox may well stop the muscles contracting, but you do realise that it PARALYSES muscles? I mean, I presume the muscles that actually cause the tremor are kind of used to support your head, or no? It also costs about $500 per treatment.

Ross

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 12:41 AM

I want to hear about how the botox goes for your problem. I'm always intrigued when potentially deadly bacterial toxins have useful applications. Plus I hope that it helps alleviate your tremors.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 01:27 PM

Hey! I understand!

Head shaking/tremor is my MOST DREADED anxiety symptom. It is awful and I know people notice because some have pointed it out to me and I have looked at myself in the mirror while it is happening. (In retrospect, probably not a good idea.)

The worse my anxiety, the worse the tremor.

I've even noticed, every once in awhile, I have very mild tremor when not anxious. This has had me questioning if there is actually something wrong with my neck muscles and anxiety makes it worse or if it is completely anxiety related.

Recently, I heard about something called Cervical Dystonia. I can't find the info I was looking at the other day but it said in mild cases, there would only be occassional tremor that was exaggerated in times of stress/anxiety.

As for Botox, it lasts approximately 3 months. I've been thinking about having it stuck in my forehead!

P.S. Botox is used to treat Cervical Dystonia by way of injections in the neck muscles so, yes, it can be injected into your neck muscles. I don't know how well this would work for anxiety tremor. If you have it done, please let me know how it went. I'm not afraid of needles and if it would get rid of my tremor, I'd do it in second!
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 01:31 PM

Moved up to earlier post.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 01:32 PM

I'm pretty sure I have a head tremor and this is the most terrible part of my anxiety disorder. Whenever I get very nervous or anxious I'm talking to someone, my head kinda trembles, like my neck can't support it fully. I can't really describe it, but is this what you all are referring to as a head tremor?
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 01:39 PM
SAS Member

Head tremble is a very common physical symptom of anxiety and totally seaparate from essential tremor - what AK thinks he has.

With the former, when the anxiety goes, the tremor goes - thats why Ardrum and I are getting a little worried about people injecting biological warfare agents into their necks.

Anyways, just bringing the (always unpopular) positive side.

BTW I hate needles. You have more guts than me.

Ross

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross
BTW I hate needles. You have more guts than me.
I'd rather have to be stuck with a needle every day for the rest of my life than to deal with SAD anymore. That's for damn sure!

I didn't think he thought he had essential tremor. Just that he was wondering if Botox would work for the anxiety tremor like it does for essential tremor.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 05:41 PM

Okay. I don't want anxiety tremor anymore, either. That to me is the absolute worst part of this disorder and the fact that sometimes I can control it and sometimes I can't. I do feel like everyone can see it when it happens, and at times like that, I can understand how people can do whatever it takes to stop it from happening. If botox works, hey, I'd try it to if I could afford it without shorting my family from their needs. Right now I can't do that. It is a very desperate feeling...the desire to stop it from happening. What besides botox and benzos can relieve it? I've tried cbt and that does absolutely nothing for that.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page