sdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 02:00 PM

Re: beware of paxil, paroxetine

up
post #23 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 06:19 PM

I was on Paxil, Lexapro, and Zoloft. None of these SSRI's worked for me.

The first med they put me on was the Paxil CR version. I believe I went up to 37.5mg which is the highest they make.

Paxil made me constipated and very lethargic. It also did nothing to change my anxiety levels.

Paxil does work for some people however. My friend was on it and he got the same side effects as I did but it actually did work for him.

As for the withdrawl (discontinuation syndrome is just another term for withdrawl) I never experienced withdrawl from Paxil because I went right on to Lexopro and then Zoloft.

Zoloft withdrawl was very bad for me. I slowly lowered my dose and did everything they recommend to avoid withdrawl. I still had the "brain shocks", a weird eye movement type twitch, and a general feeling of sh*t for around 3 months after I took my last Zoloft pill.

post #24 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 07:12 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic

I am on it right now. Othern than the weight gain, it works for me .

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #25 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 09:32 PM
SAS Member

I had a HORRIBLE reaction to Paxil when my doc tried to put me on it about 10 years ago. It seriously made me FREAK OUT big time! I went nuts. It scared the crap out of me because it made me feel a ton of rage. I actually punched a hole in the wall. I felt like I could go outside and rip someone alive with my bare hands. It was HORRIBLE. I stopped after one day. Never again.

I heart Lexapro!!!

"Riders on the storm; Into this house we're born; Into this world we're thrown. Like a dog without a bone; An actor out alone; Riders on the storm."
~ Jim Morrison ~
post #26 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 10:45 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoconutHolder
I had a HORRIBLE reaction to Paxil when my doc tried to put me on it about 10 years ago. It seriously made me FREAK OUT big time! I went nuts. It scared the crap out of me because it made me feel a ton of rage. I actually punched a hole in the wall. I felt like I could go outside and rip someone alive with my bare hands. It was HORRIBLE. I stopped after one day. Never again.

I heart Lexapro!!!
i punched my brother in the face while on paxil. paxil didn't help me with my sa or depression but it gave me rage and hatred .i continued it for 3 months , 60 mg. than quit it cold turkey with no problem .
post #27 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 11:14 AM

I took paxil for the first weeks, a few years ago and it seemed to work a bit. I stopped taking it and I had horrible withdrawal effects like migraine headaches. I stopped taking medication for about a year, and i went back to the shrink and she gave me again paxil due to my aspergers and social anxiety. I was going through some depression as well. I start taking paxil again, but it didn't work at all. I would have a broken sleep pattern, I would have crying spells and my anxiety made me worse. So, they switched me to 50mg of zoloft and now im up at 200mg and it seems to work, even though I feel anxious at times.
post #28 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotthallkevinnash
That's the problem with the SSRI's you take one of them, you've pretty much taken them all.
post #29 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 03:58 AM

klonopin + deanxit = SA being cured.
post #30 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 05:40 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipegjets
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotthallkevinnash
That's the problem with the SSRI's you take one of them, you've pretty much taken them all.
Thats not correct. Different SSRIs target different 5-HT receptors, which all have different actions.

I've tried paroxetine a few times - it calmed me but gave me hypersomnia (more than I already have!). Didn't help my SA or motivation at all. Every person I've 'known' that took paroxetine for SA found it did the same thing. Of all the SSRIs I think citalopram seems best - I witnessed someone get cured from his symptoms with a 'Nardil-like' effect.

Seems that for a med to be 'really' good for SA it needs to motivate & be anxiolytic. Bring in the med combos! My current combo is Marplan + Klonopin (isocarboxazid + clonazepam). I've only just started the Marplan. Did very well on Nardil, untill it pooped-out - augmentation didn't help in the long run. Still, Nardil is the best drug (solo) I've used for SA/APD so far.

Meds: Phenelzine 120mg, Clonazepam 4mg, Amitriptyline 100mg, Bupropion 300mg, Bethanechol (to offset Phenelzine side effects), Acamprosate (for alcohol cravings), Ropinirole 1mg (D2 agonist)
Alt: Melatonin 1mg, Oxiracetam 1g, Citicoline 1g, N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine 1.5g, ALCAR 3g, ALA 250mg, Vit C 5 g, Magnesium 3g, Niacin 3g, GLA 250mg, DHA 360mg, EPA 540mg, Vit D 10,000, VeintainŽ
PLUS all good doses of Vits, Mins & Aminos/BCAAs
post #31 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecknohed

Seems that for a med to be 'really' good for SA it needs to motivate & be anxiolytic. Bring in the med combos! My current combo is Marplan + Klonopin (isocarboxazid + clonazepam). I've only just started the Marplan. Did very well on Nardil, untill it pooped-out - augmentation didn't help in the long run. Still, Nardil is the best drug (solo) I've used for SA/APD so far.
Marplan, wow that must be hard to get.
post #32 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 01:48 PM
Joy

I was forced to take paxil from *about* the ages from 14-16 after being sent to a psychiatrist. I told the psychiatrist that kids at school were making fun of me and he suggested that I buy new clothes, get a hair cut, lost some weight, etc. Then he told me that people make fun of him too because of his race. :/ But anyway, he put me on Paxil and Serzone. I was a zombie according to my mom, and I ended up gaining about 60lbs. I ballooned from around 130ish to 203lbs, and i'm only 5,3".

Discontinuation is horrible, but it helps if you gradually lower your dose over an extended period of time. Yeah, I'd rather take benzos that actually work, even if they're addictive (technically, so is paxil).
post #33 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy
Discontinuation is horrible, but it helps if you gradually lower your dose over an extended period of time. Yeah, I'd rather take benzos that actually work, even if they're addictive (technically, so is paxil).
Actually Paxil has no addictive properties.
post #34 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipegjets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy
Actually Paxil has no addictive properties.
Well they claim that. I was on paxil for 3 years and came off. The withdrawal was horrible. Much worse than when I quite smoking.
post #35 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 06:48 AM

I have been on Paxil and hated it. It made me jumpy and angry and gave me headaches. I felt like crazy when i was on that... however i did not experience withdrawal, but i was on it only for a few moths.
post #36 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 07:56 AM

and Paxil may cause cancer: http://www.yourhealthbase.com/breast_ca ... ctors.html

"However, when evaluating the data in detail the researchers discovered that women who had used tricyclic antidepressants for 25 months or more had twice the risk of developing breast cancer as had women who had not used these antidepressants. They also noted that women who had used the SSRI antidepressant paroxetine (Paxil) for more than two weeks had a seven times greater risk of breast cancer even when other possible risk factors were fully accounted for. The researchers caution that the number of women using paroxetine was quite small and recommend larger trials to confirm their initial finding. They do point out though that paroxetine stimulates prolactin secretion and is a potent inhibitor of the cytochrome P450 2D6 enzyme, both factors in an increased breast cancer risk."
post #37 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 09:51 AM
Spectacular Member

i love paxil better than other SSRI's ive tried.

"It's better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one than to have an opportunity and not be prepared." -- Whitney Young Jr.
post #38 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 10:02 AM
going hazy

I tried it for about 5 days and gave up. I couldn't deal with the side effects.
post #39 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 09:36 PM

Last week, my doc. clearly diagnosed me with anxiety disorders(I have pretty much each ones: OCD, SA, panic attacks, etc..). I may get a little depressed sometimes but only last a couple of days. He told me CBT is clearly the way to go but meds(SSRIs) will help do 50% of the work. He gave me paroxetine prescribed at very low dose(5-10mg) and want to reach 20(for anxiety, major depression would be 40-60).

I've been looking at the bottle for a couple of days because of all those crazy stories on the internet instead of starting it. But that's enough now, if I don't try anything, nothing will happen(good or bad). Since I'm on such a low dose, never had any problem with addiction and withdrawal with anything in the past, a minority of cases have real problems(20-25%) and, like many things else, people with bad opinions are more prone to tell about it than those with good ones(opinion polls are a good example).

Gee, my disorder is even trying to prevent me from getting the treatment...
post #40 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 09:47 PM
Spectacular Member

i think im on the highest dose of paxil on this board. 80mgs

"It's better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one than to have an opportunity and not be prepared." -- Whitney Young Jr.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page