Benzodiazepine makes me so sleepy - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-24-2020, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Worried

Benzodiazepine makes me so sleepy

Many people say that benzodiazepine is good for social anxiety.
I tried ativan, Klonopin, and Xanax, but none of them work for my social anxiety with the lowest dose. If I increase the dose, they make me so sleepy. I will try valium next.
I tried all SSRIs/SNRIs, and they don't work at all. I need medication for my social anxiety.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2020, 11:40 AM
UnDeRrAtED

Language: SPanish and English fluently
yeah it sucks what i do is just add taurine capsule supplements when taking a benzo without having the drowsy effect or l-theanine for a energy boost without the drowsiness. You could also take an energy drink so the sleepiness and the benzo can level out. Though thats what i do but i dont recommend it since the warning labels are created there for a purpose. ugh

All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence and than success is sure," Mark Twain

-------------------------------------------------------
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2020, 05:26 PM
SAS Member

Benzos help me sleep when I want to sleep. But if I want to get out and do something, they help me overcome my anxiety enough to walk out the door. Once I get busy, I don't get sleepy. And they help my social anxiety a little even at the lowest dose of 1 pill, but if I am still on edge, I take a second pill.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2020, 07:02 PM
Failure's Art

Yea, me too. They eliminate my anxiety but make me just want to curl into a ball and close eyes and pass out. I have Xanax for doing interviews and presentations but I don't think I usually take enough to calm me down sufficiently because I'm worried I'll pass out or at least sound like I'm blitzed. Maybe I need to drink a red bull or something with the Xanax.

Everybody knows you only live a day but it's brilliant anyway
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2020, 09:57 PM

My Mood: Relaxed
I don't know. Where I come from, the word "valium" is synonymous with "sleeping pill".
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2020, 10:22 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarPush View Post
I tried ativan, Klonopin, and Xanax, but none of them work for my social anxiety with the lowest dose. If I increase the dose, they make me so sleepy. I will try valium next.
I tried all SSRIs/SNRIs, and they don't work at all. I need medication for my social anxiety.
Valium isn't going to be any different. It will still cause drowsiness. You could try Parnate. That has been shown to be good for social anxiety. It does have more side effects than other antidepressant medications. However it is much more effective. Augmenting Parnate with nortriptyline has been shown to help reduce side effects and reduce the propensity of a pressor effect occurring.

What aspects of social anxiety do you hope to benefit from medications?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2020, 10:50 AM
SAS Member

I take benzos every day and my life is amazing.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2020, 12:34 PM
SAS Member

Language: English
Quote:
Benzo's do help for social anxiety but yes they do make you sleepy. If your able to sleep you cant be to anxious. I got ina car wreck when I taken to much Valium so be careful with what your doing on them
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2020, 01:47 PM
Mr. Ruin & Misery

My Mood: Relaxed
Klonopin has a paradoxical effect on me, it enables me to function really well in society & does not make me sleepy. Been on it regularly for over 10 years. I've read it works that way for many people. I guess it's b/c it eats away the crippling anxiety(which DOES makes me exhausted/sleepy 'cause all of the tension), and so therefore you get more energy that way.

Rivatril 4mg
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2020, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Worried
Thanks, everyone.
It is hard for me to talk with people in general. I usually don't speak at all everyday. I want to change it.
On top of that, I have presentations and meetings at work. I take benzodiazepines before that, but I cannot think clearly.
Also, a few days ago, I took Ativan before an important meeting, and it made me sleep and missed the meeting. Ugh.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-22-2020, 07:23 AM
SAS Member

Language: English (US)
My Mood: Amused
Quote:

Benzos don't do a thing for SA for me, but Xanax is wonderful for sleep, the best med for me, bar none,

for insomnia.

Getting difficult to find a doc who will Rx them, and then they only want to use Klonopin (yuck, its almost useless) with for me don't work well. Neither does the famous Benzo, Diazepam. Very Weak. Also, the only Benzo I have to avoid is Ativan as it does affect my memory. The only Benzo that does.

For me the best is Alprazolam (Xanax), but only for sleep. It does nothing for SA, like all the other Benzodiazepines. Only MAO inhibitors work for SA so far, and not Ensam nor Moclobemide.

May The Force Be With You.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page