Are Meds Necessary or Is it Possible to Live without them? - Page 3 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #41 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Duke Duck

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillComp View Post
For me personally, it's very possible to live without meds, but once you start, it's completely impossible to live without. Your brain's been altered and trying to quit is living hell and no matter what it will always have irreversible adverse effects. So for me, once I decided to go on meds I knew I'd have to take them for the rest of my life, being completely responsible with the prescribed dosage. If you do that, you'll be fine.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah I've heard stories of how hard its been for people to quit Xanax. Do antidepressants work that way too? I've heard that when people go off antidepressants they just have to gradually ease off of them, and they'll be fine.

I'm only considering them because everything else I've tried hasn't worked. And I've read some miracle stories here of how antidepressants have taken away their anxiety and enabled them to live life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 03:19 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeDuck View Post
Hmm I can manage short term anxiety well. Getting out of the comfort zone and doing stuff. Takes enormous energy but I can manage (and its sometimes fun).

The problem is long term background anxiety. Any form of stressful routine or workload triggers this long term anxiety. The only way I can stop that is by leading a stress-free life with no expectations. But that's not possible. I need a solution that will enable me to work in a job without the anxiety getting in my way.

Youíre definitely not alone. I feel you... especially that last sentence.

I have even tried working from home to no avail. Now I have lung disease. But I wonít lose hope. What I have lost, thankfully, is my depression thanks to vitamin d3. I take 10k units daily and havenít had an incessant depressed thought in months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #43 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 05:07 AM
SAS Member

Language: American English, Gibberish
This is a bit late since the OP, but I'll post for the sake of anyone who reads this.

Medication can help for many cases, especially if you had tried therapy and various therapeutic techniques that would not help to keep the anxiety at bay long enough. If you 'manifest' other issues after completing for one, you might have to ask yourself and your therapist if there can be something underlying as to why that pattern seems to happen. Not to be Freudian, but many of our actions and reactions to certain situations can be drawn from something within the past (trauma, neglect - even if it was emotional, attachment problems that may result in failed relationships, etc.). Nobody can determine that other than you and your therapist and see if any events seem to trigger or start off the new 'manifestation' of the problem to start with.

Often times anxiety and other disorders are genetic by nature but can be set off through life events and stress. Sometimes people who go to therapy would need medication while others can handle with therapy alone. I would not recommend on saying to take medicines for the rest of your life unless it is severe and diagnosed by a psychiatrist. In my true opinion, have that as your last resort and see what things you use. I will warn that it takes trial-and-error and you should ask questions for side effects from the medications.

post #44 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 10:05 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Amused
Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryForMyEnglish View Post
Yes, they can. No, there isn't because it's just the question of how severe one's trauma is, how early it happened etc. Then there's a much greater risk for having a mental disorder. They just can't produce them too much or too little out of nowhere most of the time. It's not genetic. Our brains are not as simple as that. It's just rarely talked about. So people don't know that.

I don't think medication can bring a major change in your life or personality for reasons I already explained. Although I was talking to some guy from this site long ago and he said it changed his personality but in a very bad way. Although he was addicted to his pills and he was taking them not like it was prescribed. Then he said they didn't have the same effect on him anymore and he just felt blank or blank and depressed all the time.

But you should definitely try if you want and if you think that will help with something.
Social anxiety is tied with genetics. Some people are more prone to develop anxiety disorder. Hence why some different people who go through the exact trauma will have different outcome.
post #45 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 03:20 AM Thread Starter
Duke Duck

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNikki View Post
This is a bit late since the OP, but I'll post for the sake of anyone who reads this.

Medication can help for many cases, especially if you had tried therapy and various therapeutic techniques that would not help to keep the anxiety at bay long enough. If you 'manifest' other issues after completing for one, you might have to ask yourself and your therapist if there can be something underlying as to why that pattern seems to happen. Not to be Freudian, but many of our actions and reactions to certain situations can be drawn from something within the past (trauma, neglect - even if it was emotional, attachment problems that may result in failed relationships, etc.). Nobody can determine that other than you and your therapist and see if any events seem to trigger or start off the new 'manifestation' of the problem to start with.

Often times anxiety and other disorders are genetic by nature but can be set off through life events and stress. Sometimes people who go to therapy would need medication while others can handle with therapy alone. I would not recommend on saying to take medicines for the rest of your life unless it is severe and diagnosed by a psychiatrist. In my true opinion, have that as your last resort and see what things you use. I will warn that it takes trial-and-error and you should ask questions for side effects from the medications.
Honestly I have been considering meds ever since I found out that getting into a workout routine has had a tremendous effect on the reduction of my anxiety. Which makes me wonder if its really chemical after all. Maybe the workouts are changing my brain chemistry for the good?

But one thing I'm worried about is what effect antidepressants might have on artistic ability. It is my dream to become a successful musician and I sometimes wonder if antidepressants will just numb that artistic ability down.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page