Are Meds Necessary or Is it Possible to Live without them? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Duke Duck

My Mood: Relaxed

Are Meds Necessary or Is it Possible to Live without them?

I've had severe OCD from the age of 12. I then developed Social Anxiety later on. I keep fluctuating between OCD and SA.

So basically ever since I was 12, I've not been living a regular life (compared to how I was living before 12). By regular life, I just mean how a person without an anxiety disorder would go about life.

The anxiety affects my social relationships, the way I talk, the way I conduct my life, everything!

I've tried CBT and exposure therapy. It fixes whatever problem I'm targeting, but my anxiety soon manifests into another problem. And as soon as I fix that, my old problem pops up. It's like a neverending source of anxiety that needs to manifest in some way or the other.

So I've been considering long term meds. Something I can take every day for the rest of my life. Something that will kill the anxiety so that it won't manifest in any way, and I can live a regular life. I don't know even know if such a thing exists.

I was always hesitant to try it because of the side effects, but I don't see another way out......or is there another way out? Are meds the only option at this point? Is there any other way to live a regular life?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 03:08 PM
alien monk

meds are the devil

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 03:14 PM
Permanently Banned

Only you and your doctor know the answer to that one.

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 03:22 PM
SAS Member

Depends how bad your anxiety is - and like Karen said it's up to you really. No-one can answer that for you unfortunately.

Medication can help enormously. But it depends on a range of things - which ones you take, how they affect you, how long you take them for. I've tried a few different things - and they all have their problems. But some of them definitely helped me do things I otherwise would not have been able to do. It's fair to say that benzos helped me build some sort of life for myself for example - but then I took too much and too often and they caused a lot of problems.

Some people can find an anti-depressant that will help - but that will vary enormously from person to person.

It's a very complicated situation, but if you're someone that's sitting at home completely alone (which I doubt you are) - I would take something to get out of there. Let's put it that way.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 04:36 PM
Permanently Banned

If they make you feel good and relaxed, it is okay to live with them. As long as you are happy, everything is okay
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Duke Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
Depends how bad your anxiety is - and like Karen said it's up to you really. No-one can answer that for you unfortunately.

Medication can help enormously. But it depends on a range of things - which ones you take, how they affect you, how long you take them for. I've tried a few different things - and they all have their problems. But some of them definitely helped me do things I otherwise would not have been able to do. It's fair to say that benzos helped me build some sort of life for myself for example - but then I took too much and too often and they caused a lot of problems.

Some people can find an anti-depressant that will help - but that will vary enormously from person to person.

It's a very complicated situation, but if you're someone that's sitting at home completely alone (which I doubt you are) - I would take something to get out of there. Let's put it that way.

Hmm I can manage short term anxiety well. Getting out of the comfort zone and doing stuff. Takes enormous energy but I can manage (and its sometimes fun).

The problem is long term background anxiety. Any form of stressful routine or workload triggers this long term anxiety. The only way I can stop that is by leading a stress-free life with no expectations. But that's not possible. I need a solution that will enable me to work in a job without the anxiety getting in my way.
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 05:01 PM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
It's possible but it's probably better to try out the pro's first : /

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 05:15 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeDuck View Post
Hmm I can manage short term anxiety well. Getting out of the comfort zone and doing stuff. Takes enormous energy but I can manage (and its sometimes fun).

The problem is long term background anxiety. Any form of stressful routine or workload triggers this long term anxiety. The only way I can stop that is by leading a stress-free life with no expectations. But that's not possible. I need a solution that will enable me to work in a job without the anxiety getting in my way.
I know the feeling - very difficult.
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
Duke Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takenout View Post
If they make you feel good and relaxed, it is okay to live with them. As long as you are happy, everything is okay

But I don't want to be in a false state of happiness. I've heard meds sometimes make people feel disconnected and in a trance.
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 08:14 AM
Self-absorbed but it's ok

Language: Bad English
My Mood: Dead
Quote:
But I don't want to be in a false state of happiness. I've heard meds sometimes make people feel disconnected and in a trance.
That's why meds should only be used if it's urgent to get rid of the symtomps quickly and if they really do help you to get rid of them. If they don't then there's no point in using them. They should be understood as a temporary, short-term anxiety remedy, not as an actual answer to your problems. But unfortunately pharmacy is interested in your long-term or even life-long dependency on them. Capitalist system isn't interested in your happiness either. It's only interested in your basic functioning in order to support itself.
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 08:41 AM
A Tad Hexish

My Mood: Brooding
I have never been on medication. Not because I haven't needed it, but: 1. because I've never really been in a position where I could afford it, and 2. I'm terrified of having a chemically-induced psychotic episode (related to my OCD).

For the last few weeks I've been spending several hours (!) a day meditating and I'm beginning to see some actual improvements. It wasn't really doing much at first but I was pretty desperate so I stuck with it and now that I have some momentum built up I'm actually starting to feel better. I'm still not sleeping (I get an hour or two here or there) but my OCD compulsions have subsided and my anxiety attacks have mostly gone away.

I haven't looked into any of the research recently, so I don't know how much is placebo, but you might want to look into meditation before you take on lifetime medication. (Frankly, the thought of being on drugs long-term fills me with the heebie-jeebies.) But you have to be willing to invest the time. Meditation does not have an instant impact like medication does. It's more like proper diet or exercise. It takes weeks to see results.

I love Society. It is entirely composed now of beautiful idiots and brilliant lunatics. Just what Society should be.
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Duke Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryForMyEnglish View Post
That's why meds should only be used if it's urgent to get rid of the symtomps quickly and if they really do help you to get rid of them. If they don't then there's no point in using them. They should be understood as a temporary, short-term anxiety remedy, not as an actual answer to your problems. But unfortunately pharmacy is interested in your long-term or even life-long dependency on them. Capitalist system isn't interested in your happiness either. It's only interested in your basic functioning in order to support it.

But if people take long term meds to keep stuff like blood pressure and allergies under control, doesn't it make sense to use meds for mental health issues too in the same way?
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Duke Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by truant View Post
I have never been on medication. Not because I haven't needed it, but: 1. because I've never really been in a position where I could afford it, and 2. I'm terrified of having a chemically-induced psychotic episode (related to my OCD).

For the last few weeks I've been spending several hours (!) a day meditating and I'm beginning to see some actual improvements. It wasn't really doing much at first but I was pretty desperate so I stuck with it and now that I have some momentum built up I'm actually starting to feel better. I'm still not sleeping (I get an hour or two here or there) but my OCD compulsions have subsided and my anxiety attacks have mostly gone away.

I haven't looked into any of the research recently, so I don't know how much is placebo, but you might want to look into meditation before you take on lifetime medication. (Frankly, the thought of being on drugs long-term fills me with the heebie-jeebies.) But you have to be willing to invest the time. Meditation does not have an instant impact like medication does. It's more like proper diet or exercise. It takes weeks to see results.

The idea of being dependent on drugs gives me the heebie jeebies too.

And I know what you mean about the chemically induced OCD episodes. Whenever I have alcohol, my OCD and anxiety becomes twice as strong. Which is weird because alcohol is supposed to be a relaxant.

There's strong research that shows that meditation has positive effects. It's definitely not placebo. Watch this:
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 08:52 AM
SAS Member

Language: English
My Mood: Angelic
You can live without meds but trouble is you get addicted to them, like Tamazipan

While you SCREAM at your woman, there's a man, wishing he could talk softly in her ear...

While you HUMILIATE, OFFEND, & INSULT her,
there's a man flirting with her, & reminding her, how wonderful she is.

While you HURT your woman,
there's a man wishing he could show her love

While you make your woman CRY,
there's a man stealing smiles from her.
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 08:55 AM
SAS Member

Language: English
My Mood: Angelic
Not actually a med in the true sense but ECT is addictive; especially for me on three sessions a week

While you SCREAM at your woman, there's a man, wishing he could talk softly in her ear...

While you HUMILIATE, OFFEND, & INSULT her,
there's a man flirting with her, & reminding her, how wonderful she is.

While you HURT your woman,
there's a man wishing he could show her love

While you make your woman CRY,
there's a man stealing smiles from her.
post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 09:27 AM
A Tad Hexish

My Mood: Brooding
Quote:
The idea of being dependent on drugs gives me the heebie jeebies too.

And I know what you mean about the chemically induced OCD episodes. Whenever I have alcohol, my OCD and anxiety becomes twice as strong. Which is weird because alcohol is supposed to be a relaxant.

There's strong research that shows that meditation has positive effects. It's definitely not placebo. Watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10J6crRacZg
Is this the lab accident I've been waiting for? Meditation goals.

I love Society. It is entirely composed now of beautiful idiots and brilliant lunatics. Just what Society should be.
post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 10:51 AM
SAS Member

depends
post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
But if people take long term meds to keep stuff like blood pressure and allergies under control, doesn't it make sense to use meds for mental health issues too in the same way?
No, because the chemical imbalance is not a cause, but a consequence of a greater cause which is childhood traumas/issues in the majority of cases. And since a person was injured due to first relationship with their parents, the healing comes from relationship too (relationship with a therapist most of the time). Relationship is vital for us as spieces and modern society underestimates it. We're also thoughtful and reflective. We can do better than being mindless pill-consuming systems for our whole lifes, never knowing anything better. This is another reason why you won't find a pill that will make you ''happy'' which was what you were talking about.
post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
Duke Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryForMyEnglish View Post
No, because the chemical imbalance is not a cause, but a consequence of a greater cause which is childhood traumas/issues in the majority of cases. And since a person was injured due to first relationship with their parents, the healing comes from relationship too (relationship with a therapist most of the time). Relationship is vital for us as spieces and modern society underestimates it. We're also thoughtful and reflective. We can do better than being mindless pill-consuming systems for our whole lifes, never knowing anything better. This is another reason why you won't find a pill that will make you ''happy'' which was what you were talking about.

But specifically in regard to OCD, they say that its caused because of an imbalance in neurotransmitters. And antidepressants balance it out. I don't want a pill that will make me happy, I just want that imbalance to be fixed so I can get on with life. It's life that will make me happy. What if that imbalance is so strong, that it prevents a person from engaging in life activities that would otherwise fix them?
post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 06:32 AM

Quote:
But specifically in regard to OCD, they say that its caused because of an imbalance in neurotransmitters. And antidepressants balance it out. I don't want a pill that will make me happy, I just want that imbalance to be fixed so I can get on with life. It's life that will make me happy. What if that imbalance is so strong, that it prevents a person from engaging in life activities that would otherwise fix them?
OCD is also often a symptom of wider problems I was talking about. And I said already, childhood traumas/problems cause that chemical imbalance in most cases.

Ok, take the pills then. What's the point of this thread?

Sorry not sorry

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page