Anyone tried D-Cycloserine for SA? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Anyone tried D-Cycloserine for SA?

D-Cycloserine is an antibiotic used to treat tuberculosis. But several studies have shown that at lower doses, it may be effective at treating SAD. It acts as an agonist at the glutamatergic N-methyl-d-aspartate (NMDA) receptor.

Here are a couple of links with more detail:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... t=Abstract

http://panicdisorder.about.com/od/socia ... serine.htm

http://www.cnsforum.com/commenteditem/C ... fault.aspx

Has anyone here tried D-Cycloserine? (Brand name is Seromycin.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 11:49 AM

That is very interesting. I doubt most GDs have read about this though.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 12:34 PM
SAS Member

It doesn't really help the SA itself persay, but in conjunction with therapies (particularily exposure therapy), it can help. I might try it.

just one more song to slay this earth
and i can't explain myself just what it's worth
it was all i had, but not all i'd need
and i can't escape the fact that i still bleed

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Yes, most of the studies of D-Cycloserine have been looking at using the drug as an adjunct to exposure therapy, but there have also been several studies that suggest the drug alone has a positive effect on social behavior, without attendant therapy.

One study looked at socially withdrawn autistic children:

Quote:
17/11/2004
D-cycloserine seems to improve social and communication skills in autistic children

NEW YORK, USA: D-cycloserine, a drug that has shown to reduce symptoms in schizophrenics, appears significantly to improve social and communication skills in children with autism, according to the results of a small pilot study published in the November 2004 edition of the American Journal of Psychiatry.
Another study found that mice given D-cycloserine exhibited ehanced "social investigation":

Quote:
Psychopharmacology (Berl). 1994 Nov;116(3):317-25.
D-cycloserine [DCS] enhances social behaviour in individually-housed mice in the resident-intruder test.

Resident mice given DCS (32.0-320.0 mg/kg PO, 60 min before testing) showed dose-dependent increases in social investigation, smaller increases in sexual behaviour and decreased aggressiveness. Defensive and flight behaviour were not affected. Intruder mice showed slight increases in sexual behaviour that were not dose-dependent, and small increases in social investigation.... Within the parameters of the resident-intruder situation, DCS exerts socio-sexual behaviour-enhancing effects which are dependent upon the role of the interactant, and which are mediated by an action upon multiple substrates. DCS may be regarded as another example of a sociotropic (approach-promoting) agent.
So it appears that D-Cycloserine may reduce the fear response, which when coupled with exposure therapy can help patients "unlearn" their fear reactions. But it also appears as though D-Cycloserine alone (without therapy) enhances pro-social behavior by dampening the fear/anxiety response. In fact, if it didn't, it would be of little use as an adjunct to exposure therapy.

A few weeks ago there was a poster on psychobabble who had tried the drug and claimed that even without therapy, it had worked as well to counter his social phobia as "the old Nardil" had, and without side effects. Unfortunately, he hasn't posted any recent updates.

Very intriguing stuff....
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 09:23 PM
You can do this!

My Mood: Cheerful
I haven't, but I'm very interested in NMDA antagonists. D-cycloserine is not the only thing which does this.

Medication-related posts are for brainstorming purposes only. Talk to your doctor.

My meds: Parnate, Lamictal, Wellbutrin, trazodone

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page