Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Anybody taken Remeron (Mirtazapine)

12K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Its_Tinkerbell 
#1 ·
So I just got it and im supposed to take the first one tonight before bed. They told me it is mainly used for severe depression even thought Im not depressed, they said it should help out with my SA a lot, which is severe. So anyway I was reading the list of side effect and they do not sound fun. . . especially the weight gain. Its all just making me scared. I hope it works at least a little bit. So anybody who has taken it, can you share your experience please. I want to know if it worked, what side effects you had and anything (or everything) else. :)

#2 ·
I took it as an antidepressant, a sleep aid, and an anti-anxiety medication for a couple of months this past summer. I was up to 30mg/night before my psychiatrist finally decided that the weight gain was simply not worth it considering my history with maladaptive eating habits (i.e, bulimia, anorexia...blah) resulting from weight issues.

Remeron was a great sleep aid, I'll give it that. It did not knock me off my feet as most people say it does, but it did allow me to go to sleep quickly and without any grogginess the next day.

I think Remeron's anti-anxiety effects are probably just a result of its sedating qualities, which are exaggerated (IMO) as stated above.

I don't really remember if it was all that great of an antidepressant or not... :stu

As with practically all traditional antidepressant/anti-anxiety medications, you might as well give Remeron a decent shot. If it works, great! If not, move on to something else. :yes

#6 ·
arthur56 said:
everyone reacts differently to all antidepressant meds,but they dont directly alter your weight, thats an old wifes tale :poke
Oh, come on Arthur. Just read the FDA label for this drug and you'll see that weight gain & drowsiness are the two main side effects. It's redeeming feature is lack of sexual side effects that most other ADs have. I guess you're technically correct that no drug DIRECTLY alters your weight, but if a drug tends to make patients eat more I think it's fair to say that it causes weight gain. You're splitting hairs here.

I'm sure it's possible not to gain weight on it. I know it's certainly possible for it to not sedate one. I tried it briefly as a sleep aid. I'd say it caused little if any sedation for me, but then most sedating drug don't sedate me.

#7 ·
Hey Karl,
I used Remeron briefly many years ago but thought of trying it again for sleep benefits. It did seem to work well in that regard. I exercise a lot (when my sleep is good). IYO, do you think the exercise would offset the weightgain?

#8 ·
arthur56 said:
everyone reacts differently to all antidepressant meds,but they dont directly alter your weight, thats an old wifes tale :poke
I assume you think the same about Zyprexa? The ultimate weight gaining substance on the Earth.

#9 ·
Food doesn't cause you to gain weight, either. Only if you eat food will you gain weight ;)

#11 ·
FairleighCalm said:
Hey Karl,
I used Remeron briefly many years ago but thought of trying it again for sleep benefits. It did seem to work well in that regard. I exercise a lot (when my sleep is good). IYO, do you think the exercise would offset the weightgain?
I don't know. Never tried that.

Though I'd personally hate a pill that made me eat more so that I'd then have to exercise more. I guess it's different if you actually like exercise, unlike I who hate it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.