Anxiety Disorder Medication Therapy? Hormones? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Anxiety Disorder Medication Therapy? Hormones?

I suffer from Anxiety Disorder and started with a new phyciatrist who is only doing medication therapy with me. I thought we would have counseling but he says once the med's help that my problems might not seem so bad. That bothers me. I am on Welbutrin 300mg, Zoloft 100mg & he just took me off Neurontin 600mg because of the side effects. I have never had this before. I usually have been in therapy ALONG with taking some meds like lexapro when I was pregnant. Is this a normal thing for people suffering from anxiety to be treated medically this way without counseling to find out why I have this anxiety thing? I feel like he is just making money off me - I am so frustrated!

I am 39 and my mom thinks it my be a hormonal inbalance, I just don't know what to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 09:19 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
OhioMom,

Welcome!
I am kind of going the same route. I am on Paxil and see my psychiatrist now once every six weeks. I am going through life learning as I go. It's on-the-job training, I guess .

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 01:06 AM

I've never seen a psychiatrist that does therapy sessions. They're mostly just talking prescription pads.

A psychologist is probably what you're looking for.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 11:24 AM

they cant make enough money from therapy as it takes up too much time, also most want to search for hidden subconscious causes which IMO never helps you
most of us get better with meds and CBT
you can get the CBT from many self help recovery books for panic disorder, agoraphobia and social anxiety
neeurontin is probably useless for anxiety, pity the psych didnt give you any valium it always helps
the most fanatically anti valium docs perhaps have allowed themselveds to become addicted to it themselves
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 05:59 AM Thread Starter

Interesting info. Thanks, so far being off the Neurontin I feel a lot better. I do have an appointment with a therapist so that should help me.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page