Anti-Depressants - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Joe
Permanently Banned

Anti-Depressants

I saw a doctor yesterday and after talking about my issues she asked if I wanted anti-depressants but im not sure whether or not to get them incase there is poor side effects. Have they worked for anyone here? Im not sure what ill get prescribed with if I do decide to take them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 07:00 PM
SASsy

Language: King's English
My Mood: Brooding
Yeah, they work for me. I take Zoloft. Side effects go away after a few days. They're a big help.

"We need a healthy economy and we shouldn't be embarrassed about our system. If you want to look at a system that is non-capitalistic, just take a look at what was perhaps the wealthiest country in the world and today people are starving to death. It's called Venezuela."

- Michael Bloomberg

--------------

“The media everywhere is mostly liberal.”

- Former CBS News Reporter Lara Logan
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 08:49 PM
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Similar situation here. I'm going to ask if I can start anti-depressants next week. My therapist requested that I take them as they were worried, and I didn't object, as I think they might be useful. The only thing that might be of some concern to me are the sexual side-effects. Though those could be a relief in a way.

The moon is really kind to lonely people

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 02:28 AM
SAS Member

I would advise you to try one. If it doesn't work however, DONT go on any others. Doctors these days seem to think different SSRI's have different effects, but truth be told, they only have different brand names because the drug companies want their own patents. They're all the same thing.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 07:57 AM
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porterdog View Post
I would advise you to try one. If it doesn't work however, DONT go on any others. Doctors these days seem to think different SSRI's have different effects, but truth be told, they only have different brand names because the drug companies want their own patents. They're all the same thing.
I heard there are actually some considerable differences:

http://www.emedexpert.com/compare/ssris.shtml

Secondary binding properties of SSRIs
Citalopram (Celexa) most selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor
Escitalopram (Lexapro) most selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor
Fluoxetine (Prozac) least selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor
norepinephrine reuptake 18
dopamine reuptake 18
serotonin-2C receptors 21
cytochrome P450 2D6
cytochrome P450 3A4
Paroxetine (Paxil) muscarinic cholinergic receptors (most potent blocker of muscarinic receptors among the SSRIs)
histamine H1 receptors
nitric oxide synthase
cytochrome P450 2D6
Sertraline (Zoloft) dopamine reuptake (more potent dopamine uptake inhibitor than other SSRIs) 22
norepinephrine reuptake
sigma receptors

That and different likelihood of certain side-effects.

The SSRIs are reported to cause sexual dysfunction in the following descending order of frequency: citalopram 72.7%; paroxetine 70.7%; sertraline 62.9%; fluvoxamine 62.3%; fluoxetine 57.7%28.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 11:02 AM
SAS Member

There definitely are differences in the beneficial effects with paroxetine being much better for anxiety problems than the other ssri's. Anyone who's been on paroxetine and at least one other ssri will confirm.

Side effects-wise they really are closer together than those numbers might have you believe. You will be masturbating for at least an hour on all of them
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 11:25 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletis View Post
Yeah, they work for me. I take Zoloft. Side effects go away after a few days. They're a big help.
They aren't supposed to be a long term solution though right? Have they opened up doors that you'd be willing to try without the medication or what? From what I understand, they make life easier but also have numbing effect. Isn't the idea that no sooner than you find yourself able to deal with life with the medication than you slowly diminsh use of the medication?

"I am looking for a true human being" - Diogenes of Sinope

"It was love that brought them back to life: the heart of one held inexhaustible sources of life for the heart of the other." - Dostoevsky
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 08:20 PM
SASsy

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredbloggs02 View Post
They aren't supposed to be a long term solution though right? Have they opened up doors that you'd be willing to try without the medication or what? From what I understand, they make life easier but also have numbing effect. Isn't the idea that no sooner than you find yourself able to deal with life with the medication than you slowly diminsh use of the medication?
Ideally, yes. You would take them for a while, go off of them, and then go about your life. But my Doc told me that people who have recurring anxiety/depression or very severe anxiety/depression are just kept on them for life. He said they're safe and that you can take them indefinetly.

Has it opened up doors for me? Well, when I don't take it I'm a basketcase and when I do take it I feel much better. I doubt I could function without it. I've resigned myself that I'll be on it for life. So, in my case, I have to have it.

Does it make me numb? No. I still have normal emotions and all, I just don't have the overwhelming anxiety that I had before. They do tend to block most of my panic attacks. I'm able to deal with stress much better while on them. I don't feel like I'm "numb". I feel like I'm more normal.

"We need a healthy economy and we shouldn't be embarrassed about our system. If you want to look at a system that is non-capitalistic, just take a look at what was perhaps the wealthiest country in the world and today people are starving to death. It's called Venezuela."

- Michael Bloomberg

--------------

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 10:26 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LainToWired View Post
I heard there are actually some considerable differences:

http://www.emedexpert.com/compare/ssris.shtml

Secondary binding properties of SSRIs
Citalopram (Celexa) most selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor
Escitalopram (Lexapro) most selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor
Fluoxetine (Prozac) least selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor
norepinephrine reuptake 18
dopamine reuptake 18
serotonin-2C receptors 21
cytochrome P450 2D6
cytochrome P450 3A4
Paroxetine (Paxil) muscarinic cholinergic receptors (most potent blocker of muscarinic receptors among the SSRIs)
histamine H1 receptors
nitric oxide synthase
cytochrome P450 2D6
Sertraline (Zoloft) dopamine reuptake (more potent dopamine uptake inhibitor than other SSRIs) 22
norepinephrine reuptake
sigma receptors

That and different likelihood of certain side-effects.

The SSRIs are reported to cause sexual dysfunction in the following descending order of frequency: citalopram 72.7%; paroxetine 70.7%; sertraline 62.9%; fluvoxamine 62.3%; fluoxetine 57.7%28.
Then why are there thousands of people including myself who are treatment resistant?
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 09:30 AM
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Well, a little update on my part. I went to the doctor and was prescribed 10 mg of Citalopram, which will be increased after I adjust to it. Hmm...

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 10:39 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Well, a little update on my part. I went to the doctor and was prescribed 10 mg of Citalopram, which will be increased after I adjust to it. Hmm...
Just to let you know, for me I have no emotions without antidepressants. I am boring and don't like to be happy. Once on one I am happy and I am very emotional and caring. So don't believe people when they say they just numb.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 10:43 AM
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry1685 View Post
Just to let you know, for me I have no emotions without antidepressants. I am boring and don't like to be happy. Once on one I am happy and I am very emotional and caring. So don't believe people when they say they just numb.
That's quite reassuring.

I don't think myself emotionally numb, though. More repressed socially...

Though I will see effectiveness as any "positive" change in my mental state and a reduction in anxiety.

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 11:16 AM
Guided By Voices

Lexapro and Wellbutrin is a great combination for me. This concerning certain side effects of the SSRI's being nullified by the properties of Wellbutrin (sexual dysfunction, weight gain, and lethargy/fatigue) often the undesirable effects of 5HT antagonists. I also have comrbid depression. So, this combo, with is a very strong antidepressant often called (lexbutrin). As for the anxiety, buspar if given a fair 2 month trial can help with GAD. Another class of meds. to try for a base med. is SNRI's or serotonin, norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors. Than you have the MAOI's (Nardil,Parnate) which many believe are the best SAD class of meds. But these come with a price concerning food and drug restrictions and hypertensive crisis. Basically do your home work on those and have a pdoc well versed with admistrating MAOI's.

On the SAD front, you've got voltage channel regulators, benzodiazepines ( used very carefully) and not for long term usually, only on a prn basis. Propanolol (beta-blocker) is a very effective anxiolytic for many who experience stage fright in certain situations, Usually concerning symptoms like blushing, sweating, and other physical symptoms. I actually find it to calm my mind.

There are also many supplements and herbs that can be very beneficial.

- The art of progress is to preserve order amid change and to preserve change amid order.
- There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in.- Leonard Cohen
- The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong at the broken places.- Ernest Hemingway
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 11:37 AM
Here and Now

Yes, they are at least worth a try imo. I will be honest, and admit i only read your first post and none of the replys, as im drunk and would rather do other things. But in my opinion they're worth giving a shot.....paroxetine has helped me out quite a bit. I've been on it for about 2 years out of the last 3, and the time on it was much better than the time off of it. I would only recommend antidepressants if you have depression though as well as anxiety. Paxil has helped my depression much more than my anxiety, although it has still helped my anxiety a bit.

And yes, for me there was a difference in SSRI's. Zoloft didn't do a thing, except maybe make things worse. Paxil almost cured my depression though, and made my anxiety a bit less, maybe about 20 or 30 percent.

And i guess i should add that the most helpful drug i've been prescribed is my blood pressure medicine. It was only prescribed because i have hereditary high blood pressure, but it helps for anxiety too because its a beta-blocker. I take 50 mg of metoprolol twice a day, and it kills all physical symptoms of anxiety. So maybe ask for some propanolol?
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Joe
Permanently Banned

A doctor mentioned a beta-blocker a while ago when I first mentioned anxiety, im going to see how whatever im prescribed with works out for me but im a bit scared of the side effects, addiction and whether or not ill still act like myself while on them (I know its not weed or anything, but it still worries me :/ )
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 02:11 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jJoe View Post
A doctor mentioned a beta-blocker a while ago when I first mentioned anxiety, im going to see how whatever im prescribed with works out for me but im a bit scared of the side effects, addiction and whether or not ill still act like myself while on them (I know its not weed or anything, but it still worries me :/ )
I'm not sure if high blood pressure meds are addictive. There is high blood pressure in my family, so my mom and most of my aunts and uncles take them and they are fine. I just started to take Atenolol thanks to their genes and I haven't had a problem. My doctor just told me that they also help w/ anxiety so to take it at a time of day when I have to be out of the house. I haven't noticed any significant difference, but I'm on 25mg. I'm not sure if that's too low a dose for anxiety but it's brought my blood pressure back to normal.

"Scientists have found the gene for shyness. They would have found it years ago, but it was hiding behind a couple of other genes."
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 06:34 AM
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

After 18 hours or so on the first pill I have had some pins and needles, and feel somewhat mentally dulled and prickly, as if maybe someone stapled something together. Couldn't get to sleep easily. No headache or nausea though, thankfully.

Sorry, don't want to hijack this thread.

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 12:29 AM
SASsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jJoe View Post
Never heard of anyone getting addicted to blood pressure pills.

Most common side effect is low blood pressure---you get dizzy or light headed when you stand up. Maybe feel a little faint. That's about it.

I've never heard of any psychiatric side effects from blood pressure meds either.

- Michael Bloomberg

--------------

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 12:30 AM
SASsy

Quote:
After 18 hours or so on the first pill I have had some pins and needles, and feel somewhat mentally dulled and prickly, as if maybe someone stapled something together. Couldn't get to sleep easily. No headache or nausea though, thankfully.

Sorry, don't want to hijack this thread.
Typical SSRI startup effects. Should go away in a few weeks.

- Michael Bloomberg

--------------

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page