Adderall or Provigil ? - Social Anxiety Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Adderall or Provigil ?

I started taking Remeron two weeks ago for atypical depression and to my surprise after a week on 30mg i feel much better. I am less anxious no more suicidal thoughts, my appetite has improved (i needed to gain weight).no sexual dysfunction. basically i am having zero side effects from Remeron. I really like this drug i should have tried it long time ago.
I am also taking 0.5 klonopin for anxiety and panic attacks on a daily basis.
Anyway....now i would like to take care of my other mental health issues which are:
lack of energy
SA
lack of concentration
tiredness
social phobia

Which of these two drugs would be a better choice? Adderall or Provigil?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 06:44 AM
SAS Member

If you need to gain weight then I'd chose Provigil because Adderall is a potent appetite suppressant.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_morrison View Post
If you need to gain weight then I'd chose Provigil because Adderall is a potent appetite suppressant.
jim,
I get the weight gain benefits from Remerom , regardless the weight gain, do you think Provigil would be a better drug to resolve my issues ?

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 07:10 AM
SAS Member

Hard to say, I think it will be trial and error.
Both should help fatigue/tiredness but I think Adderall is more broad spectrum (probably helps SA and ADHD more than Provigil) but at the cost of having more side effects.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

jim,
a friend of mine gave me few pills of Ritalin 10mg few days ago. Yesterday morning i wanted to try it and see how it feels to be on a stimulate. so i took one pill and after an hour i had one of the worse anxiety attack k and panic attacks i ever had in my life. i felt so anxious, confused, scared, I panicked, and of course felt suicidal! i then, took 2mg of klonopin and after an hour i felt like my old self again. does that mean that i am falling into the scale of those people who cannot benefits from stimulant ? if so, would you say that i should not even give Provigil or Adderall a try ?
what would my alternative be now to feel more energy and more motivation?
i am currently on 30mgs of remeron, will. By increasing the dosage to 45 or maybe 60 give more energy and motivation?
how about adding Abilify to the mix on a high dose(like 10mg) could that help?

thanks much!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 09:41 AM
SAS Member

adderol is addictive and if u have a mental illness it will increase your symptoms

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowflake1111 View Post
adderol is addictive and if u have a mental illness it will increase your symptoms
please explain.
addictive? so as a pill for migraine.
increase symptoms? in which way? what symptoms?
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 10:00 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by konamitech View Post
please explain.
well.. i used to take adderol and its an amphetamine an upper similar to cocaina or speed.. if u got anxiety it will give u more anxiety. i have mild schizophrenia and social anxiety. when i 1st started taking the adderol it worked great but eventually i started to lose my mind. but if u dont have an addictive personality then u should be fine... possibly... idk
i just know that adderol is not good

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 10:03 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
please explain.

and i also had to be hospitalized in the psych ward while i was taking adderall, i went absolutely crazy

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 11:03 AM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Adderall CAN be psychologically addictive. It CAN aggravate the symptoms of some mental illnesses. Just like it CAN be very beneficial for some mental illnesses.

Quote:
well.. i used to take adderol and its an amphetamine an upper similar to cocaina or speed.. if u got anxiety it will give u more anxiety. i have mild schizophrenia and social anxiety. when i 1st started taking the adderol it worked great but eventually i started to lose my mind. but if u dont have an addictive personality then u should be fine... possibly... idk
i just know that adderol is not good
It's not like cocaine. I don't know what drug you're referring to when you say speed. Adderall is a mixture amphetamine salts. Not dissimilar to Methamphetamine or Benzedrine. But that is not bad in and of itself. It depends on why and how it is being used. Nothing is good or bad. It is all relative and everything is on a spectrum.

It wasn't good for you and amphetamines typically will increase the symptoms of schizophrenia. I'm sorry it caused you problems? Did the physician who prescribed it you know that you had schizophrenic symptoms. If they did you should file an official complaint with the state medical board because That is very irresponsible to prescribe Adderall to a person with schizophrenia, such a doctor should not be allowed to practice medicine when they could harm others.

Quote:
and i also had to be hospitalized in the psych ward while i was taking adderall, i went absolutely crazy
Again I'm sorry what you went through Educate yourself about the drugs you take.

@Konamitech;

Adderall has a different method of action. So Adderall, Dexedrine, Vyvanse, or desoxin (the amphetamines) might not have the same effect on you as ritalin did. Vyvanse might be worth trying, haveing a much smoother effect than the other amphetamines. Although some people with anxiety do have reactions similar to how you responded to ritalin, but others find it beneficial.

Provigil will only help lack of energy and tiredness.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 11:09 AM
SAS Member

it made me stay up for days it affects people in different ways, and it was really horrible experience for me.
do what u want. i was just warning u. it does have a coke affect and it can make you feel high if u abuse it. im not a fooking doctor i was just telling u what happened to me when i was taking it

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 11:11 AM
SAS Member

no he didnt know. i was lying to him bc i wanted the adderall to lose weight but it ended up fooking with my mind and eventually led to my hospital visit.
now im taking wellbutrin and seroquel

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 11:21 AM
Permanently Banned

It sucks that a few mistakes when you have a mental disorder can ruin your life. Take care of your mind, you only have one.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 11:24 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by istayhome View Post
It sucks that a few mistakes when you have a mental disorder can ruin your life. Take care of your mind, you only have one.

thanks. yeah its sad, i wish i didnt have to take pills everyday just to function properly and stay out of the hospital

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 11:27 AM
baclofen enthusiast

I gave up provigil because it seems that it antagonizes gaba hence causing anxiety.

Dx: depression, GAD, narcissistic personality disorder
Rx: Sereupin (paroxetine) 20mg, Remeron (mirtazapine) 15mg, Deniban (amisulpride) 50mg, EN (delorazapem) 1mg, Halcion (triazolam) 250mcg
Prn: Provigil (modafinil) 200mg, Lioresal (baclofen) 25mg, Samyr Sam-e 400mg tablets and ampoules, Rivotril (clonazepam) 2mg, lormetazepam 2mg
Bad Rx: fluvoxamine, asenapine, bupropion

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Adderall CAN be psychologically addictive. It CAN aggravate the symptoms of some mental illnesses. Just like it CAN be very beneficial for some mental illnesses.

It's not like cocaine. I don't know what drug you're referring to when you say speed. Adderall is a mixture amphetamine salts. Not dissimilar to Methamphetamine or Benzedrine. But that is not bad in and of itself. It depends on why and how it is being used. Nothing is good or bad. It is all relative and everything is on a spectrum.

It wasn't good for you and amphetamines typically will increase the symptoms of schizophrenia. I'm sorry it caused you problems? Did the physician who prescribed it you know that you had schizophrenic symptoms. If they did you should file an official complaint with the state medical board because That is very irresponsible to prescribe Adderall to a person with schizophrenia, such a doctor should not be allowed to practice medicine when they could harm others.

Again I'm sorry what you went through Educate yourself about the drugs you take.

@Konamitech;

Adderall has a different method of action. So Adderall, Dexedrine, Vyvanse, or desoxin (the amphetamines) might not have the same effect on you as ritalin did. Vyvanse might be worth trying, haveing a much smoother effect than the other amphetamines. Although some people with anxiety do have reactions similar to how you responded to ritalin, but others find it beneficial.

Provigil will only help lack of energy and tiredness.
what do you mean "Adderall has a different method of action" could you please explain this to me?
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 12:02 PM
Permanently Banned

Adderall has a different method of action than ritalin or cocaine.

Meaning it's the way Adderall works in the brain is different than that of ritalin or cocaine

Ritalin and cocaine exerts its effects by blocking the reuptake of dopamine into nerve terminals (as well as stimulating the release of dopamine from dopamine nerve terminals) resulting in increased dopamine levels in the synapse.

Adderall and Amphetamines are believed to exert their effects by binding to the monoamine transporters and increasing extracellular levels of the biogenic amines dopamine, norepinephrine, and serotonin. Amphetamine binds to the dopamine transporter (DAT) and blocks the transporter's ability to clear DA from the synaptic space. In addition, amphetamine is transported into the cell, which leads to dopamine efflux (DA is transported out of the cell and into the synaptic space via reverse transport of the DAT).

So basically ritalin and cocaine act by increasing the amount of serotonin in the synapse by inhibiting the reuptake of serotonin by the post-synaptic neurons. They also cause some additional dopamine to be released into the synapse the pre-synaptic neurons. The result is more dopamine bouncing around in the synapse.

Adderall and amphetamines work by binding to the Dopamine transporter so dopamine cannot be removed from the synapse. Also the amphetamine goes directly into the nerve cell which causes even more dopamine to be released into the synapse.

So both cause the amount of dopamine in the synapse to increased, but by different means.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Adderall has a different method of action than ritalin or cocaine.

Meaning it's the way Adderall works in the brain is different than that of ritalin or cocaine

Ritalin and cocaine exerts its effects by blocking the reuptake of dopamine into nerve terminals (as well as stimulating the release of dopamine from dopamine nerve terminals) resulting in increased dopamine levels in the synapse.

Adderall and Amphetamines are believed to exert their effects by binding to the monoamine transporters and increasing extracellular levels of the biogenic amines dopamine, norepinephrine, and serotonin. Amphetamine binds to the dopamine transporter (DAT) and blocks the transporter's ability to clear DA from the synaptic space. In addition, amphetamine is transported into the cell, which leads to dopamine efflux (DA is transported out of the cell and into the synaptic space via reverse transport of the DAT).

So basically ritalin and cocaine act by increasing the amount of serotonin in the synapse by inhibiting the reuptake of serotonin by the post-synaptic neurons. They also cause some additional dopamine to be released into the synapse the pre-synaptic neurons. The result is more dopamine bouncing around in the synapse.

Adderall and amphetamines work by binding to the Dopamine transporter so dopamine cannot be removed from the synapse. Also the amphetamine goes directly into the nerve cell which causes even more dopamine to be released into the synapse.

So both cause the amount of dopamine in the synapse to increased, but by different means.
thank you !
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 04:23 PM
Permanently Banned

For sure go with the adderall over Provigil. I found provigil to not do much at all to me, and nothing very pleasant. Adderall is like others have said a mixture of amphetamine salts, d-amphet and l-amphet. If you can swing it talk to your doc about just getting pure dextroamphetamine, as imo its better for people who have anxiety. The l-amphetamine in adderall has more "peripheral" effects and dex is more purely in the head. I would sometimes get symptoms like cold hands, rapid heartbeat, head chills, etc on adderrall but just get awake and focused on dex. It is good to take breaks with the stuff tho as yes its strong and not good for your brain, you should be fine if you take a good 10 days off or so every 6-8 weeks.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 11:21 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
jim,
a friend of mine gave me few pills of Ritalin 10mg few days ago. Yesterday morning i wanted to try it and see how it feels to be on a stimulate. so i took one pill and after an hour i had one of the worse anxiety attack k and panic attacks i ever had in my life. i felt so anxious, confused, scared, I panicked, and of course felt suicidal! i then, took 2mg of klonopin and after an hour i felt like my old self again. does that mean that i am falling into the scale of those people who cannot benefits from stimulant ? if so, would you say that i should not even give Provigil or Adderall a try ?
what would my alternative be now to feel more energy and more motivation?
i am currently on 30mgs of remeron, will. By increasing the dosage to 45 or maybe 60 give more energy and motivation?
how about adding Abilify to the mix on a high dose(like 10mg) could that help?

thanks much!
As istayhome pointed out, while ritalin (methylphenidate) and adderall (amphetamine) are crudely somewhat similar (both are psycho-stimulants and mainly act on dopamine and noradrenaline) their mechanism of action differs and some people clearly prefer one over the other. There seems to be some consensus that dextro-isomer stimulants (dexedrine, desoxyn, vyvanse, focalin) tend to be somewhat less anxiogenic (anxiety-producing). Slow release stimulants such as vyvanse may also be better tolerated as they peak slowly rather than hitting you all at once like ritalin did.

Provigil is different to the above, it's not a psycho-stimulant per-se, and it may be better tolerated for anxiety, but it's trial an error really.

As for Abilify, it's different again as it's a mood stabilizer, however it is unique among mood stabilizers in the sense that it tends to be stimulating rather than sedating. This is likely because it's a dopamine-serotonin partial agonist rather than a dopamine-serotonin antagonist like other atypical antipsychotics are. If you have bipolar disorder or a psychotic disorder it may be worth a try, but I don't think it should be taken purely for energy or non-treatment resistant depression since it's adverse effects can be serious, especially in the long term (metabolic syndrome - though the risk is lower than the others, and movement effects).

Hope this helps.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page