ADD medication experience? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-30-2020, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Mattie Sanstheworld

ADD medication experience?

Does anyone have experience with ADD medication (positive or negative)?

I want to go complain to a doctor about focus, reading and attention issues and I want to know what to expect, since they're probably going to prescribe me some mediation or other. And part of me just doesn't know if I want to bother going that track.

Mucus is a living thing you know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2020, 04:33 AM
SAS Member

I have ADD, before my ADD was more on the foreground then my social anxiety/depression,

i tried Methylphenidate first, but it was not effective for me (not much effects at all) my psych increased the dose to my maximum of 4 x 30mg a day and it only gave some nausea at this point so decided to stop it and give Dexamphetamine a try.

The dex does work, it gives me energy, focus and i can manage things in my head better and my thoughts go a lot slower. It for sure helps with my ADD.
I used 3x 20mg a day, but it has no positive effect on depression and anxiety (it does even increase anxiety sometimes).

As currently my anxiety and depression is a bigger problem then my ADD problems (as opposed before) my psych decided to stop the dexamphetamine for now and put me on Nardil. (cant use a effective ADD dose of dex and nardil at the same time at least not on prescription...)

If your ADD problems are a bigger problem then your anxiety/depression, then i would say give ADD medication a try.
But if anxiety is the main problem, i dont think ADD meds can help you on the long term (maybe only in the beginning as these meds can give euphoria when starting, which could make you think it will help with social situations) however this is not the real effect and will diminish after a short period)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-10-2020, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Mattie Sanstheworld

@cmalo

Thanks a lot for the info.
I'll try to visit a pscyh and open the issue with them and see what they say.

Mucus is a living thing you know

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2020, 09:43 PM
SAS Member

Your mileage may vary, I'm just a patient speaking from personal experience and I don't have ADD. Currently I am taking 20mg D-Amphetamine ER for SA and MDD, along with Zoloft 20mg and Clonazepam PRN. I will speak from the perspective of just Adderall and it's effects on SA / MDD, as there was a short period where that was all I was taking. It would boost my self-confidence considerably, similar to the way Nardil felt before I had to switch. Along with the self-confidence boost, I was much more talkative and found myself enjoying the act of socializing. These effects diminish quite fast however, especially if it is something you need to take daily. It's meh for treating depression in my opinion, the euphoric "kick" can snap you quickly out of a bad spot, regardless you eventually end up with a tolerance and find yourself feeling worse when its effects wear off after daily use.

I do think there is some benefit in terms of SA exposure though. If you trace anxiety back to its root cause, at least for myself it's always worrying about what may or may not happen in the future, and of actions taken in the past. SA can't truly exist in the present, one thing ADD meds can do is help you stay in the present during conversations, leaving less room for the negative thoughts in the mind to divide your attention
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2020, 07:04 AM
SAS Member

Try modafinil. Can be combined with any psych drugs including MAOIs. Very safe.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2020, 10:08 PM
S F C 0 1

Language: English
My Mood: Amused
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myosr View Post
Does anyone have experience with ADD medication (positive or negative)?

I want to go complain to a doctor about focus, reading and attention issues and I want to know what to expect, since they're probably going to prescribe me some mediation or other. And part of me just doesn't know if I want to bother going that track.

Jeez, is that all you need to do to get some adderall where you are, just throw a few symptoms at hm/her and tell him to hand over the speed??

I agree with deet doot and his modafinil suggestion. Probabaly less tolerance building than ADD and there are quite a few legitimate studies now that suggest is also an antidepressant, and not just a narco med

Tell 'em who the **** I am

SFC

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page