Why don't schools teach about money ! - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 02:12 PM
Villain

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt moyt View Post
a lot of the stuff they teach in school isnt useful but i think its good to have a basic understanding about science and math and history and language. some countries place a lot of emphasis on grades from a young age although thats changing now since people realise it doesnt really matter at that point.

but its universities that really waste your time. i guess it worked before but they need to really revise their curriculums now that things have changed. more hands on experience type modules instead of classes and trying to memorise textbooks and lecture notes that people forget by summer. currently you have to be proactive to get these experiences but it would be nice and much more useful if the universities helped you along or set it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well it worked before because very few people went to university. After they started encouraging almost everyone to go it devalued higher education. Basically credential inflation.

Here's one example from wikipedia:

Quote:
For instance, in the late 1980s, a bachelor's degree was the standard qualification to enter the profession of physical therapy.[41] By the 1990s, a master's degree was expected. Today, a doctorate is becoming the norm.
It's also possible to be overqualified though depending on the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1984 View Post
i'm afraid school was just somewhere to put me. and teach me random facts to keep me busy. and pretend like i was ok since i managed to learn those facts. while ignoring everything that was wrong with me. in theory school should be there to fill in the failings of the parents. but no, its just a holding centre so the parents can go to work or just so they can dilute the blame for their neglect.

i believe some people get taught things from their parents and are involved in their extended family and community and also their peers at school, etc. all this should add up to something. for those that got none of that... this is not healthy. you are a victim of neglect.
Yeah I agree, it's also a bit comparable to a prison that you leave at the end of the day.

Some people heard my words and thought it meant they knew me
Truth is, I don't exist, I'm just a soundtrack to your movie
Some background figure in a story that's already scripted
And what I feel's just felt for you to hear me ****ing spit it
I jump in many different heads through these words and poems
Always hoping maybe the next leap'll be my leap home

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 02:19 PM
SAS Member

Language: English
My Mood: Cool
They do have personal finance courses where they teach what you're talking about. (My high school I took 2 personal finance courses, and an accounting course covered some personal finance topics as well).

The problem is they're electives & most people decide to take Art or Gender Studies as electives instead.

Reason they're not required is probably because they figure students are smart enough to take practical classes on their own. ( it turns out, a lot of them aren't.)

The world is quiet here.

"The world...what a glorious place! Seek your dreams, and they will lie stretched out before your eyes. If the endless wind guides your restless spirit, seize it! Raise your flag, and stand tall!"
--One Piece
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 02:28 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread View Post
Well it worked before because very few people went to university. After they started encouraging almost everyone to go it devalued higher education. Basically credential inflation.

Yeah I agree, it's also a bit comparable to a prison that you leave at the end of the day.
But free college for everyone, right? Talk about something that would totally wreck the system even more.

The world is quiet here.

"The world...what a glorious place! Seek your dreams, and they will lie stretched out before your eyes. If the endless wind guides your restless spirit, seize it! Raise your flag, and stand tall!"
--One Piece

post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 02:31 PM
Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmu'14 View Post
But free college for everyone, right? Talk about something that would totally wreck the system even more.
Education should be more widely accessible because it's useful in itself and I'm sure it works well/better in various European countries that have free university. The economic system is completely broken, unsustainable, but increasing numbers of people are realising that.

post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 02:49 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Education should be more widely accessible because it's useful in itself and I'm sure it works well/better in various European countries that have free university. The economic system is completely broken, unsustainable, but increasing numbers of people are realising that.

For sure the system is broken, but here what made it broken was increasing the accessibility to it.

I think the way to fix it is for colleges to cut a bunch of their overhead & useless degrees & offer & emphasize practical degrees & career availability after students graduate.

The world is quiet here.

--One Piece
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 07:30 PM
SAS Member

Language: 英語と日本語
Even if everyone majored in computer science, accounting, engineering, or nursing that wouldn't create any more jobs. The number of jobs would remain the same, just those fields would be even more competitive.

I don't know if graduates who are unemployed or underemployed would be any happier if their degree was in business instead of sociology.
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 08:29 PM
Sas user

Quote:

i was thinking about further education and i think with a couple years of experience and a masters would actually help with getting a decent job...i think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

believe in urself
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 09:42 PM
Birthday Cake Cutie

cause they dont really care about us.

I try not to think too hard about my wasted time in school because it just depresses me.
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 01:17 AM
Social Pothole

I see it as one of the things where there's so many grey areas of complexity, that you have to learn with life experiences.

Same logic with why schools do not teach us how to hook up romantically, how to make friends, how to suck up to others, etc.

The truth is strictly what the ones in power perceives it to be.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 05:27 AM
Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmu'14 View Post
For sure the system is broken, but here what made it broken was increasing the accessibility to it.

I think the way to fix it is for colleges to cut a bunch of their overhead & useless degrees & offer & emphasize practical degrees & career availability after students graduate.
It's not that simple there aren't enough of those jobs and automation will continue to eat up a bunch of other jobs. You can find people with stem degrees who struggle to get jobs in their subject areas.

post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 07:07 AM
SAS Member

I think some of the problem w/ these engineers who can't find jobs is it might just not be a good fit for them. Engineering isn't always a job where you just sit at a computer all day. It can be a very business people-person oriented career depending on the position.
Quote:
It's not that simple there aren't enough of those jobs and automation will continue to eat up a bunch of other jobs. You can find people with stem degrees who struggle to get jobs in their subject areas.
Increasing accessibility (so even more people have these degrees) makes it worse.

The world is quiet here.

--One Piece
post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 08:15 AM
SAS Member

Friend partied the hell out of college, didn't care for studying, didn't get good grades (not even B's), didn't earn his teaching certification, demands his student loans be forgiven & that college should be free for everyone (along with everything else).

I have no sympathy for him & have all but severed ties with him. There are many like him unfortunately. I understand there are many who did well in college & struggle with employment, but I'm highly against 'college for all' for precisely the examples of my friend.

In regards to OP, I'm sure there's classes, books, & online resources, in addition to the classes offered in high school students refuse to take.

The world is quiet here.

--One Piece
post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 11:25 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Inspired
I see a lot of people complain about this, and it's a fair criticism. But also need to point out that there's so many great resources on the internet to teach ourselves about finance, voting, politics etc. As the internet becomes more important in our lives (allowing this forum to exist, for example!), it's a great resource for learning for things that we don't get from school, home or work

<3
post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 03:29 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

[QUOTE=RSxo;1093987629]I see a lot of people complain about this, and it's a fair criticism. But also need to point out that there's so many great resources on the internet to teach ourselves about finance, voting, politics etc. As the internet becomes more important in our lives (allowing this forum to exist, for example!), it's a great resource for learning for things that we don't get from school, home or work <a href="http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif" border="0" alt="" title="" >:-)</a>[/QUOTEp]

I've also seen a comment above saying "Its the parents responsibility"
Well. If I had a kid....I wouldn't be able to teach this either...because I have no idea how it works !

When I look up videos online all they say is
(1) recognize the difference between an asset and a liability. Your car is a liability.

An asset makes you money. Yes I know that. But for a young 20something yr old...what kind of asset can you possibly afford in the first place ?

How is one supposed to go into real estate if you can't afford to buy a house ?

How is one supposed to start a car rental if you can barely pay for your 1 car ?

I'm a competent musician but I have no formal training, and I don't play as well as a pro guitarist. I can't compete with official music schools.

I dunno...maybe my mind just isn't open enough.
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 03:35 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Ive seen some of my coworkers at the hospital come to work with random items for sale, like snacks, or car parts or fresh produce. And I often wonder ....how the heck do they get this random stuff to sell ?

And of course like any good businessman, they *never* reveal how they got the items in the first place....its always "I know a guy"

I cant even sell an extra set of tyres !
My fiancee bought her car, but the tyres were too small. So she had to replace them (yay, more money spent).

That was 6 months ago...I placed the tyres up on facebook and spoke about it at work. I still haven't got any sale.

I had a roommate in university who said all his cell phones were replaced by selling his old phone.

I have an old phone, that I haven't used in 2 years.

When I tried to sell my Dad's old car, I ended up getting much less for it than I initially wanted.

Maybe Im just not a good businessman, maybe I just don't have the salesman gene in me.

(Mood....feeling hopeless)
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 04:17 AM
⚾🚀📝📸🎬💾🎲⛰🍪💡

Language: None
My economics class in high school taught personal budgeting, evaluating loans and other financial decision making. Granted that was 1996 but I'm surprised to hear it's not common.

Fortunately, in this century, you can use the internet to learn anything you want for free. Read about it, watch videos about it, take a free class about it, whatever you need.

Play The Social Anxiety Game

"Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.'" ― Kurt Vonnegut
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 05:21 AM
SAS Member

I didn't pay attention to anything in school so it would've been useless to me anyway. Not like I would've even cared in the first place. At that age my world consisted of video games and music. Everything else was just background noise.

As an adult I've learned everything I need to know about money from people like Dave Ramsey, Peter Schiff, Graham Stephan. In fact, a single YouTube video by a Call Of Duty streamer where he talked about how you can become a millionaire in 22 years is what warmed me up to investing and sent me down that rabbit hole. School never had a chance.
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 06:02 AM
S F C 0 1

My Mood: Amused
might have been said, but from this year onwards, the tories have made religious studies mandatory gcse along with maths and english, and one or two others...I have no idea why.

Kids have to throw in some valuable hrs at school and studying at home, on ****ing RE now.

RE at school is for lobbing stuff across the room at each other, having the odd fight, trying to entice and then lock the teacher out on the flat roof, and winding him up to a point where he explodes with rage, and then start laughing and cheering. Not for exams.

**** your feelings !!

SFC
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 06:41 AM
Little Queen TrashMouth

So caveat. I rarely believe conspiracy theories and I try not to be too cynical. But this is a case in which I absolutely am. Tin foil hat time.

I truly suspect at some point it became a purposeful decision to leave finance out of curriculums. Teaching children basic life skills such as finances, cooking, even basic social skills and emotional regulation, **** people need their entire lives to be successful and happy- that's not good for the economy. Pple being broke, reckless with credit cards, buying into the consumerist belief that more, better, faster equals happier. Those are in service of capitalism. You can not manipulate pple's emotions through advertising to get them to buy if they're overall contented and happy. Getting pple into that trap of buying more, overextending themselves on credit, believing this or that thing will make them happy is great for the economy. Things like healthy relationships, deep connections, nature, being active, doing work and hobbies that feel meaningful to you, experiencing things- those things have been shown to truly affect happiness and contentment. Much of that isn't profitable.

The world, as it is, is based on fear, greed, deep feelings of lack, manipulation and trauma. There are far better ways to help the vast majority of pple live content and happy lives, but 1. change takes time and 2. change is impeded by those deeply fear based, greedy, traumatized individuals who profit off of maintaining the status quo.

I have many more thoughts on this type of ****, but tin foil hat off for today.

Miles to go before I sleep. Vale.

Know your ACE (adverse childhood experiences) score?
Sometimes, SA is a symptom of significant developmental, attachment or interpersonal trauma (emotional neglect counts). If you're still stuck after you've tried SA treatments such as CBT and exposure, research C-PTSD and see if it resonates. Here's an awesome resource. Complex PTSD: From Surviving to Thriving

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page