Straight up failed uni because of my SAS - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 09:31 AM
SAS Member

Language: English
I had to drop out of college as well due to SA. Lots of colleges require public speaking and speech classes to graduate. I was not able to do that. I had panic attacks anyone I had to present in class.

Im sure your smart enough to pass your classes you just need help with your social anxiety. See a Dr. or therapist may help. Don't give up though. You just need some support and advice / help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 10:56 PM
SAS Member

Language: 英語と日本語
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinmd View Post
I had to drop out of college as well due to SA. Lots of colleges require public speaking and speech classes to graduate. I was not able to do that. I had panic attacks anyone I had to present in class.

Im sure your smart enough to pass your classes you just need help with your social anxiety. See a Dr. or therapist may help. Don't give up though. You just need some support and advice / help.
California requires one public speaking class. At least all the Cal States do. I took an online one that still had a few meetings to give the speeches. Think it was 5 speeches, so not so bad. I decided on "Interpersonal Communication" rather than "Public Speaking."

Other than that course I think I only had to give 6-10 presentations. Most of those were in classes I took for general ed. So it kind of depends on your major. I got beta blockers from the school clinic to stop the fight or flight response- fast heartbeat, sweaty palms, shakiness, basically freaking out. I still gave crappy presentations where I didn't look at the audience and just read my paper (which I know professors don't want you to do) but whatever. Usually they didn't give me too bad of a score for the presentation since they felt sorry for me I think.

Damn. Looking at the schedule of classes, now they don't even require in person meetings!!!

Quote:
Current Event Speech
5-7 minute presentation
Connect a current event to a communication area from our class
Outline required
Speech must be filmed, uploaded and posted on Canvas
No live audience required
Two video responses to two classmates' speeches required
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 08:59 AM
SAS Member

Language: English
Quote:
Originally Posted by komorikun View Post
California requires one public speaking class. At least all the Cal States do. I took an online one that still had a few meetings to give the speeches. Think it was 5 speeches, so not so bad. I decided on "Interpersonal Communication" rather than "Public Speaking."

Other than that course I think I only had to give 6-10 presentations. Most of those were in classes I took for general ed. So it kind of depends on your major. I got beta blockers from the school clinic to stop the fight or flight response- fast heartbeat, sweaty palms, shakiness, basically freaking out. I still gave crappy presentations where I didn't look at the audience and just read my paper (which I know professors don't want you to do) but whatever. Usually they didn't give me too bad of a score for the presentation since they felt sorry for me I think.

Damn. Looking at the schedule of classes, now they don't even require in person meetings!!!
Good job making it through the speech part of college classes. That was my problem. If I could go back in time I could have tried some medication like Xanax or Valium to relax me to get through the presentations. Or a shot of alcohol before hand! lol

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 06:49 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bored
Yeah, I wish I'd known about benzos and beta blockers back in my school and college days ...
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 04:19 PM
SAS Member

Language: Portuguese, French, German, English
My Mood: Crappy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtd1974 View Post
Yeah, I wish I'd known about benzos and beta blockers back in my school and college days ...
I was lucky to know about them when I was in university. The presentation of my master thesis would have been hell without my buddy diazepam.

"Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of the antichrist." ~ Our Lady of La Salette

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page