How was your High school Graduation ceremony? - Social Anxiety Forum
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Anhedonic
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Hong Kong/China
Gender: Male
Age: 22
Posts: 212

How was your High school Graduation ceremony?


Mine's coming up in about a week (June 7) and I have no idea what to expect. For some reason I was one of the few people selected to give a 1-2 minute speech talking about my experiences at the school. When my name's being called up I can 10000% guarantee that most if not all of the 2000 people in the audience will stare at me like "Who the **** is this guy?" and I'm a little bit nervous for that. What is being done at the ceremony? Does the principal just call up all the students' names and give them their diploma or what? How was yours like?

Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal - Albert Camus

I'm not doing well in terms of being a functional human being, you know? - Ned Vizzini (R.I.P)
hnstlylonelyaf is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 07:45 AM
fsociety
 
Tymes Rhymes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Colorado
Gender: Male
Age: 27
Posts: 1,696
I graduated in 2010. It was a cool experience because it signified that one of the biggest popularity contests in my life was finally over.

The actual ceremony was the same disingenuous pandering to the popular kids as the actual schooling was.

Kids whom hated school, barely showed up, and barely graduated were cheered the most by the crowd assuming it was their large family who saw their child as perfect or some obtuse reasoning like that.

The kids whom actually did work like myself, were met with crickets when our names were called.

Every school does their ceremony differently.

The principal called our names, we walked up and shook the hands of three people and posed for pictures but it wasn't really all to spectacular of an event.
Tymes Rhymes is offline  
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 01:02 PM
Permanently Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California OC
Gender: Male
Age: 25
Posts: 7,292
Horrible. Everyone was silent when my name was called. I was the first one off the field.
Imbored21 is offline  
 
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 09:38 PM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Oregon
Gender: Female
Age: 24
Posts: 26
Haha mine was terrible. I graduated in 2012. Thankfully I had a really small class size, 38 people, but I was valedictorian so I had to stand up there the whole time on the verge of total panic. Needless to say I did not give a speech :P But it was nice that my whole extended family came from around the country to support me. All in all I'm just glad high school is behind me!
Sarah94 is offline  
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Anhedonic
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Hong Kong/China
Gender: Male
Age: 22
Posts: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah94 View Post
Haha mine was terrible. I graduated in 2012. Thankfully I had a really small class size, 38 people.
Were you in like a private school or something? Coz in my graduating class the total number of boys and girls combined is close to a thousand. (Sorry I go to a big school).

Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal - Albert Camus

I'm not doing well in terms of being a functional human being, you know? - Ned Vizzini (R.I.P)
hnstlylonelyaf is offline  
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 11:43 PM
Soothsayer
 
Steinerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Texas
Gender: Male
Age: 26
Posts: 4,765
Sucked.

Not very good at this.
Steinerz is offline  
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 01:24 AM
ΓΤΖΜ
 
masterridley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Athens, Greece
Gender: Male
Age: 33
Posts: 3,728
It was held in a theatre of sorts and we had to walk down the stairs among the hundreds of students. Of course, I didn't get the applause of other students, but some (their parents?) did applaud me.

At least no one shouted anything funny like nasty nicknames <- that was actually my fear.
masterridley is offline  
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 02:04 AM
.
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 6,045
I have not attended it. It was the same for college graduation.
sad vlad is offline  
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 12:29 PM
SAS Member
 
SuperSaiyanGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New York City
Gender: Male
Age: 32
Posts: 911
God, that was back in 2004 so I barely remember it. Just as well, it probably wasn't memorable anyway.


SuperSaiyanGod is offline  
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 12:54 PM
Permanently Banned
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2
It was back in 2004 for me too. I never went, which I regret because I had some friends and my GCSE results were the best in the school.
nikon219 is offline  
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 08:47 AM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Oregon
Gender: Female
Age: 24
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnstlylonelyaf View Post
Were you in like a private school or something? Coz in my graduating class the total number of boys and girls combined is close to a thousand. (Sorry I go to a big school).
Actually I went to a public school, in a big city to boot, but it was grades 6-12 and smaller than the others in the area. We also had the problem of over half of the class of 2012 either dropping out or switching schools (something that didn't happen with any of the other classes for some reason?) We started with 92 when I was a freshman and ended up with 38. All of the other graduating classes were between 100 and 200 besides ours :P
Sarah94 is offline  
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 08:14 PM
SAS Member
 
Barakiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Here
Language: too few
Gender: Male
Age: 22
Posts: 4,118
My Mood: Angelic
It was just yesterday. Wasn't too bad, but not very memorable either.
Barakiel is offline  
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 10:23 PM
SAS Member
 
fullmetaljacket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 229
One of the best days of my life. Everything went perfect, it was seriously amazing. I will never forget it.
fullmetaljacket is offline  
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 06:22 AM
Lonely
 
satyrinath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Australia
Gender: Male
Age: 25
Posts: 173
I didn't even attend. No regrets
satyrinath is offline  
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 06:25 AM
Ellen
 
pockybear's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Australia
Gender: Female
Age: 25
Posts: 39
You're giving a speech? That's awesome! I would never be able to do that

"I think these difficult times have helped me to understand better than before
how infinitely rich and beautiful life is in every way
and that so many things one goes around worrying about are of no importance whatsoever"
pockybear is offline  
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 07:41 PM
Big Nerd
 
T Studdly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: New York
Gender: Female
Age: 25
Posts: 1,133
Bitter sweet.

It was official that I was out of that hell hole high school for good, also money and a trip to my favorite resturant afterwards.
But my dad couldn't attend because he was too sick from cancer to come...he was upset he couldn't watch me walk across the stage and that broke my heart. Never seen him cry like that.

Atleast my aunt video taped it for him.

Nimbus - Your Sanctuary.
T Studdly is offline  
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 02:46 PM
Annoyed Kitty
 
FunkyFedoras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,079
My Mood: Grumpy
Well I didn't have to give a speech or anything...

Mine was good. I was initially nervous because I had to get all dressed up. I wore a dress and my hair was down (all of which I had never done to go to school) so I was scared how people might perceive me. But no one seemed to mind, plus our graduation gowns were basically to the floor. We had our ceremony outside on the field and it was blistering hot. The guys were sweating so much that their graduation gowns had huge sweat circles on the back.

It took about 45 minutes to get all of the graduates out of the building and onto the field and by then, everyone just wanted it to be over because our school building was also overwhelming hot. I knew a good amount of people in high school so when we all sat down, I was chatting with people around me that I knew and obviously everyone was excited. Then we had speeches by the Valedictorian and Salutatorian. And our principal said some words, in which he included the names of a bunch of students he grew close to over their time at our high school (and I wasn't one of those people).

Then they started calling names and for every person they called, everyone was clapping. I think it's because my graduating class was somewhere from 350-400 students and there was a ton of family that showed up so everyone was just clapping for all the students. And when they called my name, I was so excited but then when I got to the steps, I realized the steps were a freaking death trap waiting to happen since it wasn't real steps to get onto the raised platform/stage, but rather those portable steps that didn't have handle bars and were also slightly angled. And I was thinking "Are you ****ting me right now? The last thing I need is to fall down the steps at graduation." But luckily, I didn't fall! Got my diploma case (they didn't give you diplomas on stage), shook some guy's hand and turned to walk off with a HUGE grin on my face (and thinking back on it, I was grinning way too much). And as I walked down the steps, the president of my class (who I did know), was smiling at me and I think she said something but I don't remember. And next to her was my crush—who was the VP (god, I was so in love with that kid). So I walked back to my seat and waited for everyone to finish being called. Then we got to throw our hats up! Was cool. Then everyone dispersed to go and find their family and people were sobbing and hugging and taking pictures. And so I went to go find my family and we took pictures and they had balloons for me and then I took some pictures with friends. Overall, it was sad yet very happy.




Good luck with your speech too! [:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Studdly View Post
Bitter sweet.

It was official that I was out of that hell hole high school for good, also money and a trip to my favorite resturant afterwards.
But my dad couldn't attend because he was too sick from cancer to come...he was upset he couldn't watch me walk across the stage and that broke my heart. Never seen him cry like that.

Atleast my aunt video taped it for him.
That's heartbreaking to hear.


All it takes is 20 seconds of insane courage to do something amazing.
/ Le hablé de ti al desierto, y llovió.
FunkyFedoras is offline  
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 04:08 PM
Big Nerd
 
T Studdly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: New York
Gender: Female
Age: 25
Posts: 1,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyFedoras View Post
Well I didn't have to give a speech or anything...

Mine was good. I was initially nervous because I had to get all dressed up. I wore a dress and my hair was down (all of which I had never done to go to school) so I was scared how people might perceive me. But no one seemed to mind, plus our graduation gowns were basically to the floor. We had our ceremony outside on the field and it was blistering hot. The guys were sweating so much that their graduation gowns had huge sweat circles on the back.

It took about 45 minutes to get all of the graduates out of the building and onto the field and by then, everyone just wanted it to be over because our school building was also overwhelming hot. I knew a good amount of people in high school so when we all sat down, I was chatting with people around me that I knew and obviously everyone was excited. Then we had speeches by the Valedictorian and Salutatorian. And our principal said some words, in which he included the names of a bunch of students he grew close to over their time at our high school (and I wasn't one of those people).

Then they started calling names and for every person they called, everyone was clapping. I think it's because my graduating class was somewhere from 350-400 students and there was a ton of family that showed up so everyone was just clapping for all the students. And when they called my name, I was so excited but then when I got to the steps, I realized the steps were a freaking death trap waiting to happen since it wasn't real steps to get onto the raised platform/stage, but rather those portable steps that didn't have handle bars and were also slightly angled. And I was thinking "Are you ****ting me right now? The last thing I need is to fall down the steps at graduation." But luckily, I didn't fall! Got my diploma case (they didn't give you diplomas on stage), shook some guy's hand and turned to walk off with a HUGE grin on my face (and thinking back on it, I was grinning way too much). And as I walked down the steps, the president of my class (who I did know), was smiling at me and I think she said something but I don't remember. And next to her was my crush—who was the VP (god, I was so in love with that kid). So I walked back to my seat and waited for everyone to finish being called. Then we got to throw our hats up! Was cool. Then everyone dispersed to go and find their family and people were sobbing and hugging and taking pictures. And so I went to go find my family and we took pictures and they had balloons for me and then I took some pictures with friends. Overall, it was sad yet very happy.




Good luck with your speech too! [:



That's heartbreaking to hear.
Yeah, luckily he beat the cancer the year after and he's good now, i'm just happy he's alive and healthy again.

Nimbus - Your Sanctuary.
T Studdly is offline  
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 05:18 PM
She-Wolf
 
nothing to fear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 5,985
I graduated from an alternative school in 2009 and it was really small but still awkward and makes me cringe when I think about it. After the ceremony my mom asked me if I wanted to say bye to my (non-existent) friends and I said "I'm fine, we can go now" and she was really weird and awkward after.

I'm dreading my college grad... I was supposed to graduate last year but thankfully I was away on a trip. I really really really really don't want to go so I'll either convince my family to have a dinner for me instead or someone make other plans.
nothing to fear is offline  
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 05:24 PM
Villain in glasses
 
nullptr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: infinite empire
Gender: Male
Age: 22
Posts: 3,511
meh. my robe was hot, that's about it. wasn't particularly awful yet not good,

Quote:
Mmm... Welcome to my humble chamber or as I call it, "The Lovenasium.
- Captain Zapp Brannigan
nullptr is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Did you go to your high school graduation shybutterfly94 General Discussion 30 02-15-2013 10:15 PM
Nervous for my high school graduation ceremony? sorrwel Students 16 05-24-2012 06:20 AM
How was your high school graduation? fire mage64 Coping With Social Anxiety 38 12-23-2011 08:37 PM
Should I skip the high school graduation ceremony? Pennywise Frustration 12 10-20-2011 10:14 PM
High School graduation UltraShy Voting Booth 41 08-12-2006 12:33 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome